• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Italy by Perry Anderson

a quite brilliant long essay in the LRB on the democratic deficit in the EU and Italy in particular
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Bloody hell - half an hour in you realise you're reading a book! <yikes>

Seriously though, Perry Anderson is always a good read, and especially so here, I think. (I just wish I could speed-read though!)

I hope ahinton gets to read this; it might knock a few stars off the diminishingly justifiable claims he repeatedly makes for a redeemable capitalism, without offering evidence of such.
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 17-05-14, 16:31.

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      I hope ahinton gets to read this; it might knock a few stars off the diminishingly justifiable claims he repeatedly makes for a redeemable capitalism, without offering evidence of such.
      The evidence I offered is the positive things that have occurred under and due to capitalism in the past, to which you and others have testified; I make no excuses for the other kind or for the manifold ways in which it has been ciorrupted, perverted, misappropriated and the rest, of all of which I am all too painfully well aware. For the record, I do not claim that capitalism will be "redeemed"; I merely suggest that it could be so, given the will - the kind of will, incidentally, that would likewise be necessary for any alternative system to be created, established and implemented.

Comment

Working...
      X