X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    What unique and insightful difference you bring to the gig.
    In that case I rescind my non existent resignation, and give you my early vote for " Mod of the day".

(Are you briefed with keeping numbers up, by any chance, Ards.....)

I think we ought to try to use our collective contacts to get Nick to pop onto the forum from time to time to give it a bit of class....I mean a bit more class...
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      In that case I rescind my non existent resignation, and give you my early vote for " Mod of the day".
      I'd second that

(does that make you Mr Townsend ?)

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

(Are you briefed with keeping numbers up, by any chance, Ards.....)
        Good Heavens, the very idea. The place just wouldn't be the same without you. I mean all that unique and insightful.......oh dear, can't do <big grins> here in the dungeon.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

perhaps a person could resign from the main board, (taking with them all that insightful etc, but having everybody say nice things about them...) but retain some sort of associate membership of the dungeon for the purpose of venting spleen, dropping names, etc?
          Just a thought.

Right I have a fence to mend, The Walton cello concerto to listen to, and a " bank Holiday DIY thread" to revive, can't hang around here all day exchanging pleasantries.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

All these threats of leaving remind me of W.S. Gilbert's words in The Pirates of Penzance: "Yes, but you DON'T go".

Best to stick it out. If you don't like the perceived censorship, remember the days of the BBC Messageboards when Southendian would delete your message with no explanation at all, however much you requested clarification.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              All these threats of leaving remind me of W.S. Gilbert's words in The Pirates of Penzance: "Yes, but you DON'T go".
              ;-)

Maybe a special "ball indoors" area for those who want a flounce ?

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

so far I make it one person that has said they are going to leave, on this thread.

In Ariostos case, "All" is fair enough I suppose !!

You can take the man out of the forum, but you can't take the forum out of the man......

Got me fence sorted, BTW....

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  In Ariostos case, "All" is fair enough I suppose !!

You can take the man out of the forum, but you can't take the forum out of the man......
                  By my count that is five times he's joined and five times he's resigned (barebodkin, BigJammy, Cellini and Ariosto x 2). Possibly six.

What is 'risible' is that people think that I, we or us have any interest in running a forum as a public platform for 'free speech', allowing anyone to beat whatever drum they want to, when they want to and how they want to. If there had not been a complaint I would have closed that thread anyway (even if this had not been an election period).

Politics: This was a politically motivated act urging members of the public to take action against a political party in an election period. If you don't like the word 'campaigning', use 'lobbying' (think 'Transparency of Lobbying' - except that in this case there is no transparency about who the anonymous posters are, nor whether they are attached to a political party). Ask Jean if she would be quite happy if such a campaign were mounted against the Greens (or in my case the Lib Dems). This particulary 'dirty trick' has been known about for years, though I have never known a political party to engage in it against another party.

The homepage has a permanent link - and message urging people to read the Rules and Terms & Conditions; and indicating that posting here will be taken as agreement that people will abide by the T&Cs:

"The moderator reserves the right to take any action deemed appropriate to ensure that this forum is not disrupted or abused. Threads may be closed or posts removed at the discretion of the moderator and without notice. "

We may be perfectly relaxed about allowing people to join and post even though they just want to attack FoR3 and its stance against Radio 3. That is the 'free speech' which is allowed. But this is a discussion forum and it's an abuse to exploit the platform for other purposes.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Politics: This was a politically motivated act urging members of the public to take action against a political party in an election period..
                    I beg to differ on that.
                    It was a comment on something that has been in the worlds media for some time with the an expressed view that this was an appropriate thing for those who felt a certain way to do something.
                    People involved in politics always assume that all statements are attempts to "recruit" or "persuade" when they might just be simple statements of a view.
                    To assume that everyone wants power and to be in charge is, IMV, a big mistake.

BUt it's your gig and your rules

So if you don't want "political" discussion close this bit down.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Printing that address was an encouragement to others to take action. Obviously. Not a statement of a view.

And I did want political discussion without quotes and I value what posters like aeolium, S-A and teamsaint (and probably others: omission may be memory failure) have posted, which at least make me think and may even change my mind on some issues.

But there you are, supporting the Lib Dems and running a forum reminds me of the Tom Lehrer lyric:

Oh, the Protestants hate the Catholics
                      And the Catholics hate the Protestants
                      And the Hindus hate the Moslems
                      And everybody hates the Jews

Oy vey. Enough already.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Ok Boss

Are the Lib Dems the Milwall of politics ?

This is a good summary IMV (and it's NOT meant to be "canvassing" or anything, honest)

Last edited by MrGongGong; 06-05-14, 16:28.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Are we not now allowed to write to this thread, or to comment on it?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                            Are we not now allowed to write to this thread, or to comment on it?
                            You can come out now - I think the coast's clear

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              You can come out now - I think the coast's clear
                              Depends what we write I suspect. Do we get knuckles rapped for mentioning Conservatives, LibDems, Labour, Greens, UKIP, BNP or anyone else? Screaming Lord Sutch has been and gone - don't know if there are any new personalities.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

I got my postal ballot today
                                Here are the options

An Independence from Europe: Nutjob kipper breakaway lot
                                BNP: Fascist bigots
                                Conservative Party: Unethical rich boys
                                English Democrats (i'm English NOT British NOT EUropean!): Nutjob extremist pub bores
                                Green Party: Excuse me, do you have organic soya ?
                                Harmony Parts (Zero immigration, Anti-EU, Pro-Jobs): In dire need of a dictionary methinks "Harmony" ?
                                Labour Party: Them of the illegal war
                                Lib Dems: Dishonest two faced and untrustworthy
                                UKIP: Geographically challenged liars.

Aint democracy great :-(

So most of the folks I get to choose from are angry, dysfunctional men

Only 9 out of the 41 are women

Comment

Working...
                                X