• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Election period

Please note that it is one thing to discuss (or even attempt to dicuss) political issues, quite another to be overtly campaigning, especially during an election period.

The recent thread urging people to write to a political party's freepost address was quite out of order and has been deleted.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Please note that it is one thing to discuss (or even attempt to dicuss) political issues, quite another to be overtly campaigning, especially during an election period.

The recent thread urging people to write to a political party's freepost address was quite out of order and has been deleted.
    IS it really THAT serious ?
    Oh never mind
    your gaff, your rules

Here is a NEWS item then (am I allowed to post that ? )

(the Freepost account has now been closed)

We are always being told by those who are involved in politics that we should write to our MP's

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

Of course, I would not dream of posting it here, but I've just googled UKIP, and the Freepost address is there for all to see.
      Rules is rules, but we are all ( allegedly) grown ups !

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        Of course, I would not dream of posting it here, but I've just googled UKIP, and the Freepost address is there for all to see.
        Rules is rules, but we are all ( allegedly) grown ups !
        Save us from the "grown ups"
        they are the ones who tell you that how much things cost is more important than music, the taste of wild garlic and the sound of thunderstorms

Comment

• Ariosto

I'm amazed by this!! It must mean that there is an embargo on Politics and Current Affairs? I don't think even Mr G G was campaigning overtly or otherwise.

So much for free speech.

it can only happen when it suits the politicians ...

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            Oh never mind
            your gaff, your rules
            Pethaps I'd be allowed to say I find that constantly repeated commtn of yours intensely irritating because it always puts the onus on me rather than you for your behaviour.

Perhaps it's the wrong day. I've been up for all hours working to help prevent that same party which you deride sweeping to a self-proclaimed victory which goes against everything I believe in. This forum just seems to have a load of [end of].

If you want to campaign against that party, why not stir yourself to do something active instead of tittering here? If the Tories tried to pull that same stunt you'd be agreeing that they're a load of corrupt politicians.

Yes, I'm worn out.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
              So much for free speech.

it can only happen when it suits the politicians ...
              Stupid comment. I despise UKIP more than I can say but there was a complaint and I agreed with it. People should find another forum if they want to be political 'activists'.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

It wasn't a "political" campaign
                just something that I was sent by many folks
                many of whom would be well known to the listeners of R3
                It seemed to me a fairly imaginative and relatively benign way of expressing distaste without advocating violence or support for other people whom one might find obnoxious and dishonest.
                and I wouldn't assume that posting comments on a messageboard means that someone isn't doing something "active".

and it's nothing to do with "Free Speech" or anything like that

Personally i'm encouraged by the huge response to this idea.

Comment

• Ariosto

Stupid comment. I despise UKIP more than I can say but there was a complaint and I agreed with it. People should find another forum if they want to be political 'activists'.
                  It does not make sense to have a thread which is rather hidden anyway, called Politics and Current affairs, and at the same time not allow reasonable debate.

So yes, I will find another forum, not that I'm that bothered to talk about politics anyway, as I think nearly all politicians are a waste of space anyway.

Cheers, goodbye, and best wishes.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
                    It does not make sense to have a thread which is rather hidden anyway, called Politics and Current affairs, and at the same time not allow reasonable debate.

So yes, I will find another forum, not that I'm that bothered to talk about politics anyway, as I think nearly all politicians are a waste of space anyway.

Cheers, goodbye, and best wishes.
                    Many organisations and agencies have embargoes on canvassing and anti-campaigning during election periods. It is nothing unusual and prevents unwanted problems.

I wouldn't have thought that we would have needed one here, but that was before today's spectacularly stupid thread encouraging the sabotage of a political party's postal facility.

I think it's a shame that you think you need to 'leave' the forum - perhaps you might sleep on it, and hopefully stick around.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                      Many organisations and agencies have embargoes on canvassing and anti-campaigning during election periods. It is nothing unusual and prevents unwanted problems.

I wouldn't have thought that we would have needed one here, but that was before today's spectacularly stupid thread encouraging the sabotage of a political party's postal facility.

I think it's a shame that you think you need to 'leave' the forum - perhaps you might sleep on it, and hopefully stick around.
                      Or better still, buy a round.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

HA HA HA
                        Is that your entry for "pompous ar*e of the day" ?

OOOOPs I forgot, we all have to take it SO SO Seriously don't we :winkywotsit:

Or better still, buy a round.
                        What would "nige" do ?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          HA HA HA
                          Is that your entry for "pompous ar*e of the day" ?

OOOOPs I forgot, we all have to take it SO SO Seriously don't we :winkywotsit:

What would "nige" do ?
                          Can you stop being a prick, just for a minute? You might then understand that these matters deserve serious consideration.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

I do think that this is one of ff's more risible rules - presumably imposed when she was tired (but not emotional :winkeye:). I see saying something on here as much the same as saying it in the pub - what rule/law am I breaking?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Can you stop being a prick, just for a minute? You might then understand that these matters deserve serious consideration.
                              Of course they do
                              like the floods caused by equal marriage you mean ?
                              or the evil bastard Geoffrey Clark ?
                              and so on and so on and so on zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

If you will join a club that prides itself on its "characters" then don't complain when folks find them a joke !
                              Some things DO require careful consideration indeed but choosing Bagpuss maybe isn't the way to go

Comment

Working...
                              X