X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Toms and Pommes

Tomatoes and apples aplenty this year after last year's miserable efforts, our neighbours are similarly blessed, time I think for the food bank if they'll take them.
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Lucky you! Blight hit hard and rather early on my tomato patch this year, affecting 2 varieties I grow most years that are normally fairly resistant, and in conditions that shouldn't have been a red alert, just a mild concern. Last year was an absolute blinder for the toms, probably the best I've ever had, both in terms of quality and quantity. I am managing to get some ripe fruit this year having taken quick action, and being helped by the weather turning dry, so I'll be able to sample the variety I had from the Heritage Seed Library this year. I won't risk saving seed though.
    The 2 apple cordons I planted two years ago(together with 2 pears, but they take longer to come into bearing) have produced a crop this year - carefully thinned to prevent problems in future years. One of the trees is what I ordered, the other definitely isn't, and isn't even an "oh well it'll do" variety that could do as a substitute either. It's Discovery, when I wanted Charles Ross, so I'll have to contact the company I bought them from and see what they say. Trained cordons don't come cheap...

Comment

• Mandryka
      • Feb 2021

This is the best year for apples I can remember. No pears though. Good idea about the foodbank gradus

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
        This is the best year for apples I can remember. No pears though. Good idea about the foodbank gradus
        Yep, apples decent, pears awful. Tomatoes badly blighted. Figs so-so. Raspberries good, strawbs destroyed by snails. Our local wild damson bushes yielded little. Potatoes good volume and quality. Courgettes and squashes have gone bananas. Chard etc has done really well.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Mandryka
          • Feb 2021

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Yep, apples decent, pears awful. Tomatoes badly blighted. Figs so-so. Raspberries good, strawbs destroyed by snails. Our local wild damson bushes yielded little. Potatoes good volume and quality. Courgettes and squashes have gone bananas. Chard etc has done really well.
          Is your fig in a container or in the ground?

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post

Is your fig in a container or in the ground?
            Ground. Took it out of a pot bellied pot ( top tip, planting a fig in one of those is a very bad idea if you think you may need to get it out at some point!! ) . Planted it against a wall and have had several excellent years since then.
            we have two miniature “ little miss figgy “ plants in pots, bought this year, which will go in the ground next year.
            Last edited by teamsaint; 29-08-24, 22:01.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
            X