When Do German Orchestras Seasons Begin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

When Do German Orchestras Seasons Begin?

Mrs. RFG and I have the travel bug after our wonderful trip to France. I have wanted to do a musical trip to Germany, in particular Berlin, Hamburg, Koln, Munich, Leipzig, and Dresden, trying to take in as many concerts as possible by orchestras that I have heard primarily on disc. I have seen the BPO here in Chicago twice, under Abbado and KP, but would like to see them on their home turf.
    Anyway we like traveling in late September or early October because the weather is decent and the crowds are less.
    Perusing the schedules of many of these ensembles they don’t seem to play many concerts at this time. And some of the non BPO Berlin based ensembles, such as the Staatkapelle, seem to have very limited availability. I’m wondering if Oktoberfest factors in here.
    There are Forumites here with a much greater knowledge of German Concert Life so any insight is appreciated
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    Mrs. RFG and I have the travel bug after our wonderful trip to France. I have wanted to do a musical trip to Germany, in particular Berlin, Hamburg, Koln, Munich, Leipzig, and Dresden, trying to take in as many concerts as possible by orchestras that I have heard primarily on disc. I have seen the BPO here in Chicago twice, under Abbado and KP, but would like to see them on their home turf.
    Anyway we like traveling in late September or early October because the weather is decent and the crowds are less.
    Perusing the schedules of many of these ensembles they don’t seem to play many concerts at this time. And some of the non BPO Berlin based ensembles, such as the Staatkapelle, seem to have very limited availability. I’m wondering if Oktoberfest factors in here.
    There are Forumites here with a much greater knowledge of German Concert Life so any insight is appreciated
    Sir Simon and the BRSO kicked off on September 26th.

Comment

• Historian
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Sir Simon and the BRSO kicked off on September 26th.
      I seem to remember reading that the Philharmonie gets booked up in pretty short order so you may have to plan a long way in advance rfg. Good luck, it sounds a wonderful project.

Comment

Working...
      X