X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

travels in France

Just back from a few weeks in the Ariège (in the triangle between Toulouse-Carcassonne-Foix). Entries I posted on the 'Derek Solomons / Haydn' thread might be more relevant here -

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... the lovely little township of Saint-Félix-Lauragais was the birthplace of Déodat de Séverac. There is a plaque, but I'm not sure the house is visitable. But the place is well worth a visit in its own right (excellent restaurant avec chambres too... )

(Aldo Ciccolini is buried in Saint-Félix-Lauragais , near to the tomb of Déodat de Séverac... )

... just back from three weeks in that part of the world, the last three days spent in Saint-Félix-Lauragais - made a pilgrimage to the tombs of Déodat and Aldo : happy to report that as well as a plaque on his house ( "a plaque on all your houses" sez I ), there is now an Espace Déodat de Séverac in the main square with various of his things : the woman in charge was an elderly aristocratic Parisienne - we very much suspected she might be a de Séverac... There is also a rather good bust of him on the south side of the château walls. Here follows an advertorial for the town -

[ I can if necessary provide further info on the interesting cimetière des Anglais at Saint-Félix-Lauragais referred to in the above : the dead wounded after the Battle of Toulouse 10 April 1814 (by which time Napoleon had already capitulated) - but I fear we have already drifted too far from the marvellous Derek Solomons box of Haydn symphonies... ]

Après la rude bataille de Toulouse du 10 avril 1814, plusieurs soldats anglais commandés par le Duc de Wellington rendirent leur dernier souffle de vie à Saint-Félix-Lauragais.

• french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Hmmm, just over 50 mins by bus from Toulouse station. A possibility with a bit of planning
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Historian
      • Aug 2012

Very interesting for several reasons, thank you very much.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        Very interesting for several reasons, thank you very much.
        excellent vints ….. almost, but not quite, as good as Cambois ……

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

The music of Déodat de Séverac would not be to Vinteuil's taste, me somehow thinks.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

[ I can if necessary provide further info on the interesting cimetière des Anglais at Saint-Félix-Lauragais referred to in the above : the dead wounded after the Battle of Toulouse 10 April 1814 (by which time Napoleon had already capitulated) ... ]
            ​​
            ... a pretty good account here -

Comme il en existe aussi un à Baziège, au lieu-dit "La Mothe", il y a, à Saint-Félix-Lauragais, un cimetière anglais datant de la période napoléonienne. Sur les collines des Fourches, on distingue bien la...

There remain doubts as to how many (if any) were actually buried there -

​​ Two places to the east of Toulouse are known as le cimitière des anglais , or the English cemetery. The question is, are any Englishmen buried there? This story follows on from my previous...

Further details perhaps to be found in The Historical Memoirs of the XVIIIth (Princess of Wales's own) Hussars (Col. Harold Malet), pp 102-105 &c
            .​

Comment

Working...
            X