Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carole

Boys,
    I'm told you'll find celery is an aphrodisiac, although you don't eat it, you use it as splints!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Erm, welcome Carole - I think

Celery is one of those vegetables which, I think, change their taste dramatically when cooked. I used to like cooked celery with a cheese sauce; now I think I quite dislike it. But crunchy celery with cheese is somethin' else. And I add a bit to veg stocks and casseroles (if I have some - but don't go out of my way to get it).

Where has this thread come from? I've forgotten what went before so excuse me if I repeat, hic ...
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
        Celeriac tastes nice, but I can't be bothered to peel it. Anyone know an easy way?
        ... I so recognize the problem! My solution is to go to one of several of my favourite restaurants and order a céleri rémoulade. "Aux Fins Gourmets" - 213 bvd Saint-Germain - used to be reliable...

Comment

• Carole

Thanks for the welcome Frank. Do I win a prize for strangest first post?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Erm, welcome Carole - I think

Celery is one of those vegetables which, I think, change their taste dramatically when cooked. I used to like cooked celery with a cheese sauce; now I think I quite dislike it. But crunchy celery with cheese is somethin' else.
            Agreed

I also agree with Carole to the extent that I'd prefer to do anything with celery rather than eat it
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... I so recognize the problem! My solution is to go to one of several of my favourite restaurants and order a céleri rémoulade. "Aux Fins Gourmets" - 213 bvd Saint-Germain - used to be reliable...
              M. Vinteuil, next time you visit your Pembrokeshire roots Ultracomida, the excellent Spanish deli/eatery in Narberth High Street does a mean celeriac remoulade...

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                M. Vinteuil, next time you visit your Pembrokeshire roots Ultracomida, the excellent Spanish deli/eatery in Narberth High Street does a mean celeriac remoulade...
                ... noted, with thanks! We may well be visiting some ancestral Griffithses and apSimons this very autumn....

Last edited by vinteuil; 14-04-14, 17:39.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

I recommend Ric Stein's lovely cream of mussel soup with celeriac and saffron .

Indeed , I reckon it would be really good without the mussels .

Comment

Working...
                  X