• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    But Pulcinella is of course right - spaghetti (or linguine, possibly fettucine, tagliatelle, &c) - long and thin. Not maccheroni...
    You could always add Tomato Ketchup...

BTW, the i had a list of the UK's Italian Food Crimes last week...

Last edited by AuntDaisy; 30-06-24, 08:39. Reason: Added food crimes list

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

But Pulcinella is of course right - spaghetti (or linguine, possibly fettucine, tagliatelle, &c) - long and thin. Not maccheroni...
      It's an attitude to food, of course. I always have to question WHY? if told that's 'how it should be done'. I like it like this, this is how it's always done: ergo ... That always seems like a challenge to me :-) But in the end, do it the way that satisfies you.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        ... if told that's 'how it should be done'. I like it like this, this is how it's always done: ergo ... That always seems like a challenge to me...
        ... a 'challenge' can of course be good. But there is also a value in 'tradition' - over time cultures have worked out the 'best way' to do things, and it wd be churlish just to disregard learnt techniques

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

It's an attitude to food, of course. I always have to question WHY? if told that's 'how it should be done'. I like it like this, this is how it's always done: ergo ... That always seems like a challenge to me :-) But in the end, do it the way that satisfies you.
          Quite so, but it's undoubtedly the case that certain pasta shapes are more suited to different types/consistencies of sauce than others.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

... a 'challenge' can of course be good. But there is also a value in 'tradition' - over time cultures have worked out the 'best way' to do things, and it wd be churlish just to disregard learnt techniques
            There's a whole debate to be had here. When it comes to French cooking, for example, there's Escoffier's Ma Cuisine, Larousse Gastronomique (both of which I have and consult), but there's also Tante Marie's Cuisine de famille (which I have) and 'every French grandmother's version' which may even change from day to day.

I tend to vary as I cook, I add in what I have and needs to be used. So my own 'recipe' today of salmon soup has a basis of flaked cooked salmon (chucked in at the last minute), sweetcorn and fennel. Plus anything which happens to be in the cupboard: today asparagus tips, red pepper, spring onion, mushroom (probably a mistake though). I inadvertently picked up Coop salmon with a sachet of sweet chilli sauce which I didn't use when I ate the first fillet (I cooked both). I considered whether I might add the sauce to the soup, sampled it - and decided not to. I shall stir in some rocket at the last minute. I have baked a wholemeal loaf this morning which I shall have with my soup and whether it's awful or not it will be nutritious because of all the fresh ingredients :-). The battery on my digital scales failed so the bread will be even more hit and miss than usual. It's always edible.

A purist I am not. (My puttanesca sauce, as well as having macaroni [sic] had some chopped bacon added. With Roger's aforementioned chicken puttanesca I would certainly have rice rather than pasta anyway. One thing I would never do is decide on the recipe first, then go out and buy all the correct ingredients. As with the puttanesca sauce I made it because I had the ingredients (more or less).
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

A purist I am not...
              .... cela se laisse voir

I have my purist moments. And my Puritan ones, too....

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

I made an Orzo salad with feta, garbanzo beans, red onions, cucumber and fresh lemon juice (spiced with thyme, salt and pepper).

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                  Host
                  • Jun 2018

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                  I made an Orzo salad with feta, garbanzo beans, red onions, cucumber and fresh lemon juice (spiced with thyme, salt and pepper).
                  Sounds very tasty. Was it close to tabbouleh in flavours?

(Garbanzo beans were new to me - chickpeas this side of the pond.)

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                    Sounds very tasty. Was it close to tabbouleh in flavours?

(Garbanzo beans were new to me - chickpeas this side of the pond.)
                    They were always chickpeas to me as well, but about 15 years ago the labels in the store and the menus in restaurants renamed them. Who decides these things?
                    We had the remaining salad last night as a side dish to Beyond Burgers. It lacked something, relative to when it was fresh, and then I squeezed lemon juice and added it to the leftover and that restored the flavor. Since the tabbouleh recipe that we make also calls for fresh squeezed lemon juice, your query is making me wonder how much of the flavor or these dishes is due to our citrus friend?

Comment

Working...
                    X