X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

The thing about travelling in order to eat is that you can recapture, albeit as through a glass darkly, memories of places you've been (and eaten). Sunday lunch today was a pale shadow of a choucroute garnie, with two sorts of mustard. Some chefs serve several types of mustard although I don't remember being offered a choice. As I only had two sorts of meat (freshly baked gammon joint and frankfurters) I offered myself Dijon (with the frankfurters) and beer and black peppercorn (a Christmas present) with the gammon. If really rebellious you could spread the mustards on the other way round.

All this reminds me of alighting from the train in Strasbourg, making straight for the Place de la Cathédrale and ordering a choucroute garnie. Après ça, la cathédrale
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

As usual 'cooked' rather than 'cooking': Aigo boulido. I made it with care (half a garlic bulb for two helpings) and was quite pleased with the result. I added fresh sage and marjoram from the garden to the cooking. Ladled over the last two pieces of my wholemeal loaf, with grated cheese sprinkled over them. An ill-favoured thing but mine own. Coop Les Jamelles Viognier - because it was there (at my elbow). Nous autres paysan(ne)s hein?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Aigo boulido. I made it with care (half a garlic bulb for two helpings) and was quite pleased with the result...
        ... actually sounds really nice!

just sorry you missed the opportunity of using a Fowler 'flood-of-tears-and-a-sedan-chair' * pleasantry :

"I made it with care and half a garlic bulb... "

* zeugma, or syllepsis, for our scholastic friends... .

Last edited by vinteuil; 22-06-24, 15:11.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... actually sounds really nice!

just sorry you missed the opportunity of using a Fowler 'flood-of-tears-and-a-sedan-chair' pleasantry :

"I made it with care and half a garlic bulb... "

Formidable! Actually, I could have added a whole bulb and still found it palatable. I think I noticed some wet garlic in the greengrocer this week. Must investigate.

The soup was really light, more of a consommé, which I don't usually make. I like hearty soups crammed with lots of al dente vegetables (we do not purée in this hestablishment).

Comment

Working...
          X