X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

As a chronic insomniac I will try a drink ofthis at bedtime with my BP tablet, which is so powerful one falls over once it is swallowed so must be taken last thing, according to my practice Nurse .
    Last edited by salymap; 07-06-13, 17:01.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      As a cronic insomniac I will try a drink ofthis at bedtime with my BP tablet, which is so powerful one falls over once it is swallowed so must be taken last thing, according to my practice Nurse.
      And definitely in a prone position, I would have thought!

Comment

• marthe

Plenty of Lemon Balm in my garden! Is it good for blood pressure? If so, I shall be making copious amounts of Lemon Balm tea for the HH!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
          • Mar 2013

'Welcome to Radio Three, the new home of Gardeners' Question Time...today in the potting shed...'

Soz, Saly.
          It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by marthe View Post
            Plenty of Lemon Balm in my garden! Is it good for blood pressure? If so, I shall be making copious amounts of Lemon Balm tea for the HH!
            It's only really suitable for Marxists to drink as tea
            as they don't drink the other sort

Comment

• Pabmusic
              • May 2011

You can use lemon balm to flavour milk puddings (no danger of curdling) or plain cakes such as fairy cakes. The flavour is not that strong and can be overwhelmed in the wrong combination. Fresh leaves are good in salads (I used to make unusual salads with lemon balm, nasturtiums, marigolds and other herbal plants added to lettuce and rocket).

As a drink it has similar properties to other mints - mainly soothing (balm) and digestive.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Somewhat despairing of prescription-based antidepressants and tranquillisers, (I've tried at least 3 from the Prozac group - all awful, they mess with the mind - and some made me physically sick) I have for some years used Valerian and Lemon Balm in tablet form, from outlets like Holland&Barrett and Boots. I take 1 to 3 capsules of Lemon Balm extract, each capsule giving ca. 171mg of dry extract, per night. Valerian varies a bit, from 400mg - 600mg per night. Broadly, Valerian is more soporific, very good as an aid to sleep, Lemon Balm lighter, more of a mood lifting drug, but still notably relaxing. In combination they work for me!

I wouldn't usually take Valerian in the daytime as the effect can be too heavy, but Lemon Balm can be good in anxious times (always remembering that the only real cure for anxiety is to remove the source of it - often easier said etc...) You have to experiment to find your own dosages, reading the notes carefully (the "root" amount is always more than the "dry extract"). I use H&B's own Lemon Balm, and the "Valdrian" and the stronger "Kira" (Klosterfrau) Valerian preparations.

But they certainly work - their physical effects are obvious, and their use goes back for centuries. It really is a question of effective personal dosage.

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks a lot for that Jayne. I shall look into all that tomorrow, I need something like that.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    It can be used in Roast Chicken either placed a few sprigs inside the bird on its own or with other herbs or under the skin.
                    Like cloughie I've used lemon balm in stuffing for a chook - I use great handsful roughly chopped and stirred into breadcrumb & onion mix. It give the stuffing a lemony lift rather than citric intensity - I like both but this way you have a choice
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-06-13, 11:49. Reason: acidic sortout

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      And definitely in a prone position, I would have thought!
                      Very dangerous - risk of drowning in the infusion Supine better!
                      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                        Very dangerous - risk of drowning in the infusion Supine better!
                        I prefer to drink it standing up, then collapse straight into nearby bed.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

It's a great image!
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• gradus
                            • Nov 2010

Ever tried Lemon Verbena a much stronger sherbet-lemon sort of smell and would I imagine make a stronger infusion/flavouring than Lemon Balm which can, I find, be a bit invasive in the garden

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Sounds great
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                                Somewhat despairing of prescription-based antidepressants and tranquillisers, (I've tried at least 3 from the Prozac group - all awful, they mess with the mind - and some made me physically sick) I have for some years used Valerian and Lemon Balm in tablet form, from outlets like Holland&Barrett and Boots. I take 1 to 3 capsules of Lemon Balm extract, each capsule giving ca. 171mg of dry extract, per night. Valerian varies a bit, from 400mg - 600mg per night. Broadly, Valerian is more soporific, very good as an aid to sleep, Lemon Balm lighter, more of a mood lifting drug, but still notably relaxing. In combination they work for me!

I wouldn't usually take Valerian in the daytime as the effect can be too heavy, but Lemon Balm can be good in anxious times (always remembering that the only real cure for anxiety is to remove the source of it - often easier said etc...) You have to experiment to find your own dosages, reading the notes carefully (the "root" amount is always more than the "dry extract"). I use H&B's own Lemon Balm, and the "Valdrian" and the stronger "Kira" (Klosterfrau) Valerian preparations.

But they certainly work - their physical effects are obvious, and their use goes back for centuries. It really is a question of effective personal dosage.
                                Ever tried St John's Wort jlw? I use it to keep tolerably un-depressed. Thought I'd been on it a bit long a while back and gave up taking it. OK for some weeks then, once I'd forgotten what I'd done, started feeling dreadful. OK, there were things in my life which kinda justified feeling pretty cr*p so I hoped it would go away. It didn't and eventually I had the wit to resume the SJW. Bliss!

Only snag with it is that it's far more than doubled in price in the last year: something to do with gov't-imposed tests/ certification of traditional medicines I believe. No doubt it'll save lotsa lives...
                                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
                                X