• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by french frank View Post

And as this is the Refreshment Room:

I like making soups but don't always bother to make a good vegetable stock. When I do, I wonder what my mother's generation would make of simmering lovely fresh vegetables (onions, carrots, leeks, celery &c with herbs and seasonings) and then - throw away the vegetables and keep the water ...
    Indeed, it does feel wasteful. At least non-vegetarians can crack a Rieu-esque grin of smugdom at getting the most out of whatever carcass they're simmering to create their stock.
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

Anybody else been watching Masterchef?

I love it!! Just about to settle down with the first show of the final week!!

( I hope Natalie wins by the way!!)
      Last edited by Mr Pee; 30-04-13, 22:45.
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I picked up Giles Coren's "How To Eat Out" as part of a twofer at Waterstone's, out of curiosity. I don't see his regular column (I'm an AA Gill man meself). A sort of autobiographical ramble, with asides on how kitchen staff sometimes fail to wash their hands....a bit about tipping....chapters on eating Indian, Chinese and Japanese...salt...restaurant critics remaining anonymous...touching description of Chinese meals with his parents when he and Victoria were little...travels on the continent...

Generally a ragbag of a book. Some amusing bits, but rather thrown together. A culinary metaphor somewhere I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
        X