X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LHC
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Yes, I was thinking of Marathon in the states, which was actually a form of Curly-Wurly, which was discontinued in the seventies. The reason for that was, perhaps, folk-lawish....I did say widely believed.

Snickers was actually introduced by Mars in 1930! And was sold in the rest of the world under that name, but in Britain it was marketed as Marathon until 1990, as you say.
    Morrisons did a retro limited edition of Marathon in 2019.
    The US Marathon bar was discontinued in 1981, so despite the best efforts of Olivier, Hoffmann and Schlesinger to discredit the name of Marathon, it did manage to stick around for another 5 years (actually about 2/3rds of its life as the bar was only in circulation for 8 years having only been introduced in 1973)
    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by LHC View Post

As the film Marathon Man was released in 1976 and Marathon didn't change to Snickers until 1990, it must have taken Mars a long time to reach this conclusion.
      I never heard of the Marathon Bar. Snickers has been here all of my life, and their principal US Factory is about 3 miles from my home. Here a Marathon Bar would evoke images of biting into a petroleum product.

Comment

• Padraig
        • Feb 2013

The Bar in question had an important role to play in Irish Catholic Doctrine, often exercising the minds of clerical intellectuals.

Father Ted (July 19th) - YouTube

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
          The Bar in question had an important role to play in Irish Catholic Doctrine, often exercising the minds of clerical intellectuals.

Father Ted (July 19th) - YouTube
          ... o joy

Thank you...

Comment

• cria
            • Jul 2022

Kinder eggs turned into helicopters when opened and went all sticky on the dashboard when Dad was driving ...

Comment

• Jonathan
              • Mar 2007

Not eating chocolate at the moment due to the ongoing incidence of migraines

Also avoiding beer, wine and cheese
              Best regards,
              Jonathan

Comment

Working...
              X