Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

Either there is something wrong with my tongue, or every brand of chocolate tastes different waxy and boring/one dimensional [sic]....
    bong ching

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
      Either there is something wrong with my tongue, or every brand of chocolate tastes different waxy and boring/one dimensional [sic]....
      ... that would be sad. It might be worth experimenting : a trip to Tesco's (or similar) and purchase of their 'taste the difference' bars - madagascan, ecuadorian, ugandan &c, at 70%, 80%, 85%, 90% &c. Not too expensive ; worth a try...

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        Is organic 'black' chocolate bad for diet, or......?
        Definitely "or", according to this. https://zoe.com/learn/dark-chocolate-health-benefits

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... that would be sad. It might be worth experimenting : a trip to Tesco's (or similar) and purchase of their 'taste the difference' bars - madagascan, ecuadorian, ugandan &c, at 70%, 80%, 85%, 90% &c. Not too expensive ; worth a try...
          Both Lidl and Aldi have well priced premium chocolate bars.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Both Lidl and Aldi have well priced premium chocolate bars.
            ... yes! We have recently dicovered 'Moser Roth 85%' at Aldi - very recommendable

Comment

• Roger Webb
              • Feb 2024

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... yes! We have recently dicovered 'Moser Roth 85%' at Aldi - very recommendable

Go on a Monday and check their amazing 'Wine of the Week' offer....a few weeks ago they had a Cairanne by Chassaux et fils reduced from £8.99 to £3.49. It was limited to two bottles per visit, so my wife and I went round once with coat, and once sans, ending up with eight bottles.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
                Go on a Monday and check their amazing 'Wine of the Week' offer....a few weeks ago they had a Cairanne by Chassaux et fils reduced from £8.99 to £3.49. It was limited to two bottles per visit, so my wife and I went round once with coat, and once sans, ending up with eight bottles.

I’m due an Aldi trip soon to stock up on their gold award winning Highland Black whisky. On one occasion I was told that the limit was 6 bottles but fortunately I had previously mapped out another branch barely half a mile away, so I duly clanked back to London with the usual case-worth of a dozen bottles in the boot

I shall look out for their ‘Moser Roth 85%’ chocolate (he said, wrestling the post back on topic…)
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Might say that was a cheeky little coat de rhone!

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

Might say that was a cheeky little coat de rhone!
                    It might be difficult to pull off that trick during a heatwave.

Comment

• gradus
                      • Nov 2010

I feel it is my duty to salute the Marathon bar, none of that Snickers nonsense, my tooth-rotter of choice for donkey's years.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                        • Feb 2024

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                        I feel it is my duty to salute the Marathon bar, none of that Snickers nonsense, my tooth-rotter of choice for donkey's years.
                        It's widely believed that Mars pulled Marathon after the film Marathon Man's horrendous scene in which Dustin Hoffman has his teeth drilled without anaesthetic by Larry Olivier. Sales dropped off as its adherents (sic!) felt their fillings pulled and the consequential visit to the dentist was imagined.

Comment

• LHC
                          • Jan 2011

It's widely believed that Mars pulled Marathon after the film Marathon Man's horrendous scene in which Dustin Hoffman has his teeth drilled without anaesthetic by Larry Olivier. Sales dropped off as its adherents (sic!) felt their fillings pulled and the consequential visit to the dentist was imagined.
                          As the film Marathon Man was released in 1976 and Marathon didn't change to Snickers until 1990, it must have taken Mars a long time to reach this conclusion.
                          "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                          Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Roger Webb
                            • Feb 2024

Originally posted by LHC View Post

As the film Marathon Man was released in 1976 and Marathon didn't change to Snickers until 1990, it must have taken Mars a long time to reach this conclusion.
                            Yes, I was thinking of Marathon in the states, which was actually a form of Curly-Wurly, which was discontinued in the seventies. The reason for that was, perhaps, folk-lawish....I did say widely believed.

Snickers was actually introduced by Mars in 1930! And was sold in the rest of the world under that name, but in Britain it was marketed as Marathon until 1990, as you say.
                            Morrisons did a retro limited edition of Marathon in 2019.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Yes, I was thinking of Marathon in the states, which was actually a form of Curly-Wurly, which was discontinued in the seventies.
                              ... deft knight's move there, Mr Webb

Comment

• Roger Webb
                                • Feb 2024

[QUOTE=vinteuil;n1309068]

Yes, I was thinking of Marathon in the states, which was actually a form of Curly-Wurly, which was discontinued in the seventies. /QUOTE]

... deft knight's move there, Mr Webb

Yes, a Marathon over rough terrain often requires an agile side step!

Comment

Working...
                                X