X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Chips

Amazing that our national dish hasn't had a thread yet.
    So, as a service to other board members, should they find themselves peckish and far from home, and with only £2.00 in their pocket, perhaps our favourite chippy, and any variations would be useful

Round here;
    Salisbury. The one in Salt Lane (!!) in Salisbury is excellent.
    Southampton. Not tried them all,obviously, but the one on Millbrook road has done great chips as longs as I can remember.

Plenty of salt and vinegar for me.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.
  • Karafan
    • Nov 2010

Mmmm you're making me hungry now. Golden, vinegar soaked and sparkling with sea salt, there really are few things more tempting! Off to get some now.
    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Amazing that our national dish hasn't had a thread yet.
      So, as a service to other board members, should they find themselves peckish and far from home, and with only £2.00 in their pocket, perhaps our favourite chippy, and any variations would be useful

Round here;
      Salisbury. The one in Salt Lane (!!) in Salisbury is excellent.
      Southampton. Not tried them all,obviously, but the one on Millbrook road has done great chips as longs as I can remember.

Plenty of salt and vinegar for me.
      Yes,and a buttered loaf.
      The chippy outside Rochdale FC's ground used to do the best chips in the world,not been there for a while though.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

One of the best chippys in /coirnwall ive been told is not Rick Stein's but the one just up the road from nhsi!! Gah!

Lopcall;y though, in a nearby town is one of the best chippys around!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

I remember having wonderful fish & chips in Wells many years ago. Cooked in beef dripping, which gave them a lovely flavour.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

In space, the chips are never down...

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Upton, Lincolnshire. Coal-fired fish and chips.

Does it make a difference or is it all in the mind?

The batter was crisper than a mid-winter eve. The vinegar was tangier than something really tangy. And the chips sang 'potato' with exquisite coloratura. What more do you want?

Comment

• mangerton
                • Nov 2010

Chips after Scouts on a Friday night from the Station Chip Shop in Hawick. Sixpence.

Nowadays, it's difficult to beat this establishment.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                  Upton, Lincolnshire. Coal-fired fish and chips.

Does it make a difference or is it all in the mind?

The batter was crisper than a mid-winter eve. The vinegar was tangier than something really tangy. And the chips sang 'potato' with exquisite coloratura. What more do you want?
                  Wonderful stuff, I remember that place from when I worked on their community play about 15 years ago

and nothing about the (self publicising ......) Aldeburgh chippy yet ?

I'm fond of The Magpie in Whitby
                  and The Ashvale in Aberdeen is a good bet

surely "vinegar" is mostly "non brewed condiment" these days ?

Comment

• Frances_iom
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                    Yes,and a buttered loaf.
                    I'm sure when a kid it was only margarine on our chip butties

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

I'm fond of The Magpie in Whitby
                      and The Ashvale in Aberdeen is a good bet

surely "vinegar" is mostly "non brewed condiment" these days ?
                      The Magpie gets another vote

At home vinegar = pickled shallot vinegar with chillies in

Comment

• amateur51

Years ago I attended a theatrical performance at the Alhambra Theatre in Bradford. I had about an hour to kill before my train so I toddled to a fish & chip chop nearby which to my delight was belching out blue fumes of beef dripping. I ordered 'fish & chips open please'. They doused my order in salt & vinegar and I found a wall to lean on as I got stuck into my treat.

As the first chip went in I was aware of that unique sensation as a white-hot chip seared itself into the flesh over my palate. The next few moments were exquisite agony as my mouth was filled with saliva and steam which I tried hard to expel while my tongue was exploring gingerly this compress of vinegary-salty-chip mingled with freshly cooked skin and blood

A unique experience and one I'd gladly repeat any time

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                          • Dec 2010

Two questions:

1. Why do chips constitute the Britsh (or English, if that is the implication) national dish? Is it the origins of the dish or the gross (mot juste) national consumption?
                          2. What is Non-Brewed Condiment (I know how it looks and tastes but what is it?) and what would be Brewed Condiment. Surely not vin aigre, which I assume to be fermented.

I'm just asking, not trying to be contentious.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

And one perhaps to avoid....

When I lived (even further) Up North, there was a chippy called 'Mucky Monica's'

Why you may wonder?

Well, the story goes that many a time a battered worm had been found amongst the chips, Monica's potato washing process being a little lacking in efficiency.
                            Apparently it was worse if you found half a battered worm....and there was a claim that a battered comb had been found once. Quite crunchy I would imagine.

Vinegar vs NBC?

Real vinegar is made by fermenting alcohol (ale made from malted barley in the case of malt vinegar).
                            Natural colouring, takes a while to make.

Non-brewed condiment is just acetic acid mixed with colourings and flavourings. Slosh them all together and there's your NBC - immediate. Cheap.
                            I think the FSA say it can't be labelled as vinegar or even put in traditional vinegar bottles by chippies.

Should we launch a demand for vinegar testing?

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                              Real vinegar is made by fermenting alcohol (ale made from malted barley in the case of malt vinegar).
                              Natural colouring, takes a while to make.

Non-brewed condiment is just acetic acid mixed with colourings and flavourings. Slosh them all together and there's your NBC - immediate. Cheap.
                              I think the FSA say it can't be labelled as vinegar or even put in traditional vinegar bottles by chippies.

Should we launch a demand for vinegar testing?
                              Thanks Globaltruth. I admit I'm not sure what malt vinegar is, and if it is made from beer then that explains the "Brewed" part of the name. What's the absolutely colourless liquid which has clearly never been near a grape? Is that just acetic acid? And if so, since it seems to be perfect for cleaning a stainless steel worktop, what on earth is everybdy doing pouring it on food?

Comment

Working...
                              X