What Was Your Most Recent Bottle of Wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Aldi's Jura sparkling Chardonnay is a lovely drink and much underpriced at £7.29.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

... chambolle-musigny 1er cru 'les Charmes' Amiot-Servelle 2009.

I don't know much about burgundy, but it was lovely.

And as it was at his club, and Mr Roper was paying, it seemed churlish to decline...

Last edited by vinteuil; 17-03-16, 10:13.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... chambolle-musigny 1er cru 'les Charmes' Amiot-Servelle 2009.

I don't know much about burgundy, but it was lovely.
        Well, if that experience doesn't inspire the desire to get to know a whole lot more, I'm not quite sure what would!

I recall the delectable and brilliant Jancis Robinson writing (in Confessions of a wine lover, my copy of which I cannot seem to find right now) of a crucial occasion in her early days when she shared a bottle of Chambolle-Musigny "Les Amoureuses" (1959 or thereabouts, I think) that had been bought by her then boyfriend and she realised that her interest in it well outshone her interest in him!

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Anyone tried English wines? Two recent ones I've greatly enjoyed are Penny Black from the Halfpenny Green Vineyard and Sonnet from the Three Choirs vineyard.

Strongly recommend the former. It was available online but I get mine from a local farmer's market.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            Anyone tried English wines? Two recent ones I've greatly enjoyed are Penny Black from the Halfpenny Green Vineyard and Sonnet from the Three Choirs vineyard.

Strongly recommend the former. It was available online but I get mine from a local farmer's market.
            I like Wyken Vineyards Bacchus, very drinkable although £12.99 a bottle for the 2014.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Ventoux "Les Traverses" 2014 by Paul Jaboulet.

This is on the current Wine Society list at £7.50 a bottle - but is in stock at £5 a bottle at the excellent Terre de Boissons in Cité Europe (5 minutes from the Calais Eurotunnel terminal).

Buying 2 cases led to a saving of (24 x 2.50) = £60, which happens to be the exact day return fare on Eurotunnel*

OK so I only broke even, but of course there were other benefits to being in France for a few hours.

And the wine makes a delicious 'house red'.

* NB there's a EuroTunnel offer at the moment of £23 day return, Mon - Thurs until 8 December.

Had it not been necessary to go on Saturday to fit round others, I could have made a profit...
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Cheapskates here, and the house red is Aldi's Toro Loco, a 12.5% Temperanillo that goes down a treat as we attempt the Times crossword before dinner.

Trouble is, we've usually finished the bottle before we've finished the crossword.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  Cheapskates here, and the house red is Aldi's Toro Loco, a 12.5% Temperanillo that goes down a treat as we attempt the Times crossword before dinner.

Trouble is, we've usually finished the bottle before we've finished the crossword.
                  Ah, so more blanks than Blanc at Pulcinella Towers, then ?

before I get my coat, I wish this thread could be renamed "....Most recent bottle of wine...."
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Ventoux "Les Traverses" 2014 by Paul Jaboulet.

This is on the current Wine Society list at £7.50 a bottle - but is in stock at £5 a bottle at the excellent Terre de Boissons in Cité Europe (5 minutes from the Calais Eurotunnel terminal).

Buying 2 cases led to a saving of (24 x 2.50) = £60, which happens to be the exact day return fare on Eurotunnel*

OK so I only broke even, but of course there were other benefits to being in France for a few hours.

And the wine makes a delicious 'house red'.

* NB there's a EuroTunnel offer at the moment of £23 day return, Mon - Thurs until 8 December.

Had it not been necessary to go on Saturday to fit round others, I could have made a profit...
                    But more than £23 from these parts and a dodgy line east of Exeter. Jaboulet Ventoux sounds good. My latest glass, however, was Beaujolais Villages Nouveau from Waitrose. A very pleasant wine nicely complementing lamb steak. I always like to sample the new vintage, takes me back to the Beaujolais get togethers back in the 80s and 90s, often involving a Cassoulet.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      Ah, so more blanks than Blanc at Pulcinella Towers, then ?

before I get my coat, I wish this thread could be renamed "....Most recent bottle of wine...."

Good points!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

What I really meant was that the wine is so gluggable that we've usually finished a bottle before dinner/supper is ready, but you're right: sometimes there are a few blanks remaining (though the iPad version lets you sort them out!).

Anyway, we're clearing the none too capacious 'cellar' out (the wine won't really travel to York, ha ha!) so last night it was a 60th birthday present bottle of Château Moulin Riche Saint Julien (get it, ts and Cali?) 2005 given to my partner by a friend.

Certainly needed to be drunk respectfully rather than glugged!

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

... at lunch in a little bistro in Tufnell Park yesterday a bottle of white beaujolais (Didier Desvignes, beaujolais blanc aoc 2013). It was really very good. I have not encountered white beaujolais before, and it doesn't seem to be easily available : the Wine Society doesn't have it.

Has anyone else seen it / enjoyed it?

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... at lunch in a little bistro in Tufnell Park yesterday a bottle of white beaujolais (Didier Desvignes, beaujolais blanc aoc 2013). It was really very good. I have not encountered white beaujolais before, and it doesn't seem to be easily available : the Wine Society doesn't have it.

Has anyone else seen it / enjoyed it?

Yes, also I have had Rose. Rose and Red are Gamay, but it appears the white can be made from a variety of grapes grown in the region - usually Chardonnay but can be Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris or Aligote.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

I have just blown my entire Coop Balance on this. Quite a bit cheaper than the mysommelier website (even without the Coop bonus discount), possibly because it will be passing its best in a couple of years. Cost me about 50p.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                I have just blown my entire Coop Balance on this. Quite a bit cheaper than the mysommelier website (even without the Coop bonus discount), possibly because it will be passing its best in a couple of years. Cost me about 50p.

I think it will be fine for a few years yet - a good bottle will probably be perfect at Christmas .

Comment

Working...
                                X