What Was Your Most Recent Bottle of Wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I have just been drinking some Coteaux du Layon which tastes nearly as good as the glass I bought from a roadside bar on a cycle ride from Gennes to Saumur last month on the day that they closed all the roads to cars for the Anjou bike festival.

I'd never heard of it before, and I've never seen it over here. Where can I get some more?

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Try http://www.wine-searcher.com

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jean View Post
        I have just been drinking some Coteaux du Layon which tastes nearly as good as the glass I bought from a roadside bar on a cycle ride from Gennes to Saumur last month on the day that they closed all the roads to cars for the Anjou bike festival.

I'd never heard of it before, and I've never seen it over here. Where can I get some more?
        Wonderful stuff, I agree jean.

You could try ...

Browse our comprehensive range of French wines by region, and buy wine online with a quality guarantee from Yapp Brothers - an award-winning independent wine merchant.

Happy tasting

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

As you see made from Chenin Blanc grapes and usually on the sweet side but I am sure that many years ago I bought some in the area which was off-dry. Vouvray from nearby is not dissimilar to Coteaux du Layon and possibly more available in UK.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

These were a real discovery on a week's wine-tasting tour in the Loire region, which my best mate and I went on in the early 90s. Really honeyed taste - can be delicious, although some makers put quite a lot of sulphur in which makes me sneeze

Four kinds available from this excellent outfit: http://www.seckfordwines.co.uk/wine-...0&cmdSubmit=Go
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

These were a real discovery on a week's wine-tasting tour in the Loire region, which my best mate and I went on in the early 90s. Really honeyed taste - can be delicious, although some makers put quite a lot of sulphur in which makes me sneeze

Four kinds available from this excellent outfit: http://www.seckfordwines.co.uk/wine-...0&cmdSubmit=Go
              Lovely stuff, Caliban - some rather enticingly elderly examples there, at a price

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Thank you for all the help & advice.

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                As you see made from Chenin Blanc grapes and usually on the sweet side...
                When I was very young, we used to drink Spanish Sauternes because it was cheap. Then we discovered that sweet wine was naff and we were ashamed.

But I have decided to come clean - I like sweet wine, though obviously only when it's of high quality and drunk in the right circumstances.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

The Pierre Bise one is exceptionally good if pricey .

Waitrose sells the very good Domaine des Forges 50cl for Ā£8.29
                  Last edited by Barbirollians; 21-07-13, 17:01. Reason: found a wine that I thought was no longer sold

Comment

• amateur51

When I was very young, we used to drink Spanish Sauternes because it was cheap. Then we discovered that sweet wine was naff and we were ashamed.

But I have decided to come clean - I like sweet wine, though obviously only when it's of high quality and drunk in the right circumstances.
                    Join the club, jean

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Indeed so 6s 6d per bottle - Christmas-time - think it was my introduction to wine - then my tastes evolved - now enjoy sweet wine, as you say in the right circumstances - particularly like muscats. Not seen any Spanish Sauternes recently though - I wonder what they call it?

Comment

• Belgrove
                        • Nov 2010

Some splendid Australian wines were had at Lord's last week, but the best by some margin was a 2004 Warramate Pinot Noir from the Yarra Valley. More sweet blackcurrent rather than the cherry fruit one associates with this grape variety. Silky smooth with a sophisticated hint of the farmer's welly...

This is actually good value wine in Australia, but ruinously expensive to bring over to the UK. If the opportunity ever arises to sample the wines of this excellent family run vineyard, do not hesitate.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Get ready for some cheap bottles of Moldovan wine coming our way. The Russians don't want it!

The European Commission tells Russia it is "unacceptable" to use threats against ex-Soviet states which are seeking closer ties with the EU.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                            Get ready for some cheap bottles of Moldovan wine coming our way. The Russians don't want it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24061556
                            Tried any, Beefo?
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                              • Nov 2010

Well, if it is indeed as suave, complex and lovely as several of the Moldovan young lady violinists with whom I have been working recently, then we should all stock up with it without delay!

Comment

Working...
                              X