What Was Your Most Recent Bottle of Wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

At a Father's Day lunch yesterday, introduced by the restaurant to a wine from the midi I'd never heard of before.

Picpoul de Pinet Beauvignac.

Picpoul is the grape - new to me: the wine was dry and full, a really good glass, full of character.

Goorgling this reveals that it's available from Morrisons, Majestic, M&S and elsewhere. Bon.
    Last edited by kernelbogey; 18-06-13, 00:05. Reason: Spelling and sourcing

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

Picpoul is the grape - new to me: the wine was dry and full, a really good glass, full of character.

Goorgling this .... Bon.
      ... yes, I have happily goorgled many a glass of picpoul in my time - a good bracing apéritif which really sets you up for a nice mediterranean lunch

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        25% off 6 bottles at Waitrose until midnight tomorrow !

Chateau Musar becomes almost affordable again !
        Woo-hoo! Many thanks for the alert, Barbs.

Ch. Musar, and the junior Ch Hochar (both available from Wine Society ) are affordable at whatever the price, if you see what I mean but a discount is an added bonus

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          At a Father's Day lunch yesterday, introduced by the restaurant to a wine from the midi I'd never heard of before.

Picpoul de Pinet Beauvignac.

Goorgling this reveals that it's available from Morrisons, Majestic, M&S and elsewhere. Bon.
          In full agreement here, kernel It appears on many a restaurant wine list these days too, thank goodness. A truly individual and blessedly affordable bottle

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            It appears on many a restaurant wine list these days too,
            ... careful, Ammy : IDS is watching you - ' "restaurants" - nay "restaurant wine list" - forsooth! Is that where the taxpayers' money - [and of course always of "hard working families" ] - is going???'
            Last edited by vinteuil; 18-06-13, 15:12.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... careful, Ammy : IDS is watching you - ' "restaurants" - nay "restaurant wine list" - forsooth! Is that where the taxpayers' money - [and of course always of "hard working families" ] - is going???'
              So much is available online these days, vints for those of us forced to live our lives vicariously

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Fontanafredda Barolo 2008... AVOID... waste of taste and money! Sainsbury's TastetheDiff version is better for less.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  Fontanafredda Barolo 2008... AVOID... waste of taste and money! Sainsbury's TastetheDiff version is better for less.
                  Many thanks jlw - that's just the sort of mistake I'd make "ooh 5 y.o. Barolo" - fine advice

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Are they the hard working families who are wont on occasion to leave their kids in pubs in order to savour nice bottles of fine wine in peace? Oh, probably not; those would not be the usual suspects, i.e. "ordinary hard working families", would they?!...

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Mme V has just e-mailed me this.

Should we wine snobs be worrying??

Noses have been put out of joint in the wine industry, with experiments showing that even experts can't always tell cheap plonk from grand cru. David Derbyshire reports on the chemistry behind the taste

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

... with today's roast duck, a bott of pécharmant (ch champarel 2009).

I first encountered pécharmant when posted to Paris in the early '90s, and it quickly became a favourite.

Haven't had it for ages, and was delighted to find this bottle. If you ever come across this under-appreciated appellation, I can much recommend it!
                        Renewed thanks vinrouge for this recommendation. A bottle of Ch. Champarel '09 accompanied a slow-roast pork belly and some fresh peas this evening, and delicious it was

No one's ever heard of Pécharmant, and neither had I until your post!
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Renewed thanks vinrouge for this recommendation. A bottle of Ch. Champarel '09 accompanied a slow-roast pork belly and some fresh peas this evening, and delicious it was

No one's ever heard of Pécharmant, and neither had I until your post!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Yes cloughie - I should have been clearer.... I meant: no one I know had ever heard of it!

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              Yes cloughie - I should have been clearer.... I meant: no one I know had ever heard of it!
                              No problem Cali - I just thought I'd look it up and thought others might share my enlightenment.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                No problem Cali - I just thought I'd look it up and thought others might share my enlightenment.
                                Funnily enough, we were looking at that page earlier today

Comment

Working...
                                X