What Was Your Most Recent Bottle of Wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Madame Suggia View Post
    Dandelion 2011

lovely... if a bit face numbing
    that's a bit of a worry, Mme Suggia. Did you score the dandelions from the hard shoulder of the M25?!

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      Mr Pee has found the weak point of owning a Bentley.

Certainly if you live in Cobham or Cheshire and drive a Bentley it can be assumed you are a player of ze futbol.

Best stick to the Armstrong-Siddley, I think...
      Now you are talking. I have spent a family camping holiday in one of those babies......
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        Now you are talking. I have spent a family camping holiday in one of those babies......
        Hamstrung-Sydneys are lovely old cars but scarcely practical these days, what with price of fuel, scarcity of parts etc.

Have we ever had a thread on cars?

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Hamstrung-Sydneys are lovely old cars but scarcely practical these days, what with price of fuel, scarcity of parts etc.

Have we ever had a thread on cars?
          I think there might have been. Mr Pee likes that sort of thing. The professional musicians will all have Volvos.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

The professional musicians will all have Volvos.
            ... certainly the final exams at our Conservatoires, for those studying harp or harpsichord, include reverse parking and three-point-turns with a Volvo Estate....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

... certainly the final exams at our Conservatoires, for those studying harp or harpsichord, include reverse parking and three-point-turns with a Volvo Estate....
              I once had cause to establish conclusively that a double-bass can be transported in a Citroën DS in tolerable comfort, with room for one passenger (in the back seat) as well as the driver
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Citroens are designed to carry pigs in comfort, (real ones ) not carry valuable musical instruments.

Calibun, your point about the driver seems either superfluous of misleading. I'm not sure which is the most likely...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Citroens are designed to carry pigs in comfort, (real ones ) not carry valuable musical instruments.

Calibun, your point about the driver seems either superfluous of misleading. I'm not sure which is the most likely...
                  It did in fact originally say "of course" the driver. I thought if I left the driver out, some wag would come along and say 'no room for the driver then?'

Ahem. I opened two bottles of 1998 Ch. Fombrauge St Emilion last weekend. One was over the top and cabbagy but the other quite delicious

Haven't had St Emilion for ages

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... having seem Mme V off for the weekend with her family in Dorset am left on my lonesome.

Car has flat battery. Need cheerin' up.

Well, my plan to get 'completely off my face' (as mme V's sons put it... ) doesn't really work. When you're over sixty, the liver starts complaining before the brain has time to deliquesce.

But have been enjoying (all from Wine Society) a fruity viognier domaine du bosc 2011 from the Languedoc which was well good with the asparagus and the salmon - and a rioja viña amézola crianza 2004 that went nicely with a bifteck marchand-de-vin.

Praps if I move on to the Bleasdale 'The Wise One' tawny* to go with the mango and ice-cream and follow it up with a decent armagnac the oblivion I am seeking may follow...

* "The fortified wines that Australia was famous for before the Second World War have gone out of fashion, but the best of them are not only extremely good but great value. ....Gorgeous..... a ten year old fortified Australian blend of grenache, shiraz, and verdelho wines which have matured slowly in small oak casks near the winery's hot tin roof. Complex nutty and chocolate flavours combine with the silky texture developed during the ageing process culminating in a gorgeous aperitif or after-dinner beverage. 18%."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Need cheerin' up... 'completely off my face'... well good...
                      Praps

Sounds good A couple of ideas there to complete my WS mixed case, ta

I trust we can look forward to increasingly expansive posts as the weekend moves to its conclusion?
                      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 06-05-13, 17:09.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Need cheerin' up... 'completely off my face'... well good...
                        Praps
                        Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Sounds good :
                        ... m' dear boy - 'sa question of register, na!

Comment

• Hornspieler
                          Late Member
                          • Sep 2012

It did in fact originally say "of course" the driver. I thought if I left the driver out, some wag would come along and say 'no room for the driver then?'

Ahem. I opened two bottles of 1998 Ch. Fombrauge St Emilion last weekend. One was over the top and cabbagy but the other quite delicious

Haven't had St Emilion for ages
                          ... and here was I thinking that all you legal chappies only drink Pomeroy's Plonk!

HS

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                            ... and here was I thinking that all you legal chappies only drink Pomeroy's Plonk!

HS
                            ... wiki enlightens:

"Rumpole enjoys smoking inexpensive cigars (cheroots), drinking cheap red wine (claret), and indulging in a diet of fried foods, overboiled vegetables, cheese-and-tomato sandwiches, and steak and kidney pudding. Every day he visits "Pommeroy's", a wine bar on Fleet Street within walking distance of the Old Bailey and his law office at Equity Court, and at which he contributes regularly to an ever-increasing bar tab by purchasing glasses of red wine of a questionable quality, to which he refers as either "Cooking Claret", "Pommeroy's Plonk", "Pommeroy's Very Ordinary", "Chateau Thames Embankment", or "Chateau Fleet Street". (The last two terms are particularly derogatory: the subterranean Fleet river, over which Fleet Street was built, served as the main sewer of Victorian London,[2] while the Thames Embankment in central London was a reclamation of marshy land which, until the 1860s, was notably polluted.) His cigar smoking is often the subject of debate within his chambers. His peers sometimes criticise his attire, noting his old hat, imperfectly aligned clothes, cigar ash trailing down his waistcoat and faded barrister's wig, "bought second hand from a former Chief Justice of Tonga" (or the Windward Islands: Rumpole is occasionally an unreliable narrator)."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

old hat

Comment

• Hornspieler
                                Late Member
                                • Sep 2012

Following my recent trip up the River Rhone, I have now joined the ABC society. (Anything But Chardonnay)

HS (hic)

Comment

Working...
                                X