What Was Your Most Recent Bottle of Wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

I loved a wine review I read today in which the finish of a sherry was described as "interminable " . Normally a word used to describe a Celi performance of Bruckner and not in a good way being used as a compliment.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      I loved a wine review I read today in which the finish of a sherry was described as "interminable " . Normally a word used to describe a Celi performance of Bruckner ...
      ..among other things!

Extraordinary use of the word, of that sherry. Slightly scary... as if a week later you're still tasting it!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Meanwhile, back on Planet Earth... [/COLOR]
        Well, you can certainly get a far better idea of the nose of a wine there than you can elsewhere; breathing the air of other planets is OK when it all ends up in a tenuous F# major but it wouldn't suit Jancis Robinson, let alone Jilly Goolden...

Comment

• amateur51

..among other things!

Extraordinary use of the word, of that sherry. Slightly scary... as if a week later you're still tasting it!
          I agree it's an odd chouice but I think I know what the writer means. Some sherries do seem to go on and on long after you've swallowed them - delightful

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

The Northern Spanish red Encanto Mencia 2009, as recommended in the Indie, is on offer at £5.49 at Sainsbury's at the moment. Mencia is a new grape for me. Very tasty.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

The sherry in question was Williams and Humbert As You Like It - apparently found in a dark corner of their cellars after 30 years and then bottled . We had a half bottle at Christmas - £20 so not cheap but it did truly have an extraordinarily long finish - meant a very small glass could be sipped for ages .

Comment

• amateur51

The sherry in question was Williams and Humbert As You Like It - apparently found in a dark corner of their cellars after 30 years and then bottled . We had a half bottle at Christmas - £20 so not cheap but it did truly have an extraordinarily long finish - meant a very small glass could be sipped for ages .
                Great stuff barbs - nice with nuts too. Was it a sweetie or dry? Sherry is a bit like Wagner - once you've got the taste for it the possibilities seem endless

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Medium sweet - like a slightly sweet amontillado . Very tangy though .

Waitrose were selling it too - cannot find it on their website but they still had some bottles in my branch last week .

Comment

• amateur51

Medium sweet - like a slightly sweet amontillado . Very tangy though .

Waitrose were selling it too - cannot find it on their website but they still had some bottles in my branch last week .
                    Many thanks Barbs - alas the Wine Society description bears the note sold out!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Waitrose still has it I think .

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

It should be spring but I feel like I need a hearty red tonight as the snow falls and falls . What will you lot be sipping or guzzling?

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                          • Mar 2013

It should be spring but I feel like I need a hearty red tonight as the snow falls and falls . What will you lot be sipping or guzzling?
                          I visited my caviste in Paris this week. He recommended a light red, a coteaux de lyonnais (100% Gamay) called 'Traboules'. Not bad at all.
                          Last edited by Thropplenoggin; 22-03-13, 18:46.
                          It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                            I visited my caviste in Paris this week. He recommended a light red, a coteaux de lyonnais (100% Gamay) called 'Traboules'. Not bad at all.
                            Like the look of La P'tite Cave !
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• JFLL
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                              I visited my caviste in Paris this week.
                              How nice to have a caviste.

Meanwhile, in benighted North Herefords Morrison’s recently, my better half was approached in front of the wine-shelves by a gent of agricultural aspect who asked her whether she could recommend a good wine for his daughter’s birthday. He said he’d been told that you could always tell a good wine by the size of the indentation at the bottom of the bottle. (I believe the indentation is called a ‘punt’ or ‘kick-up’. No doubt Throppers will supply the correct French term for this.) We had a good larf over this afterwards, but where did this presumably urban myth come from?

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                                • Mar 2013

Like the look of La P'tite Cave !
                                Definitely an address to visit if you're ever in the 13°. Just now they have some bottles of Château d'Yquem (Sauternes) going for €260 a pop.
                                It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Working...
                                X