What Was Your Most Recent Bottle of Wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arancie33
    • Jan 2011

We have a hiatus in the Tanner's deliveries (drinking more quickly than they can supply actually) so I fell into the Coop for a top-up and found a range of Fair Trade wines which I hadn't spotted before. Have tried two and will certainly go back. The wines are from Chile, Argentina and South Africa and grapes include Malbec, Cinsault, Pinotage, Carmenère and others. Prices from £4.99 to £8.99 and, so far, all excellent.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by arancie33 View Post
      We have a hiatus in the Tanner's deliveries (drinking more quickly than they can supply actually) so I fell into the Coop for a top-up and found a range of Fair Trade wines which I hadn't spotted before. Have tried two and will certainly go back. The wines are from Chile, Argentina and South Africa and grapes include Malbec, Cinsault, Pinotage, Carmenère and others. Prices from £4.99 to £8.99 and, so far, all excellent.
      That's good news, arancie - Co-op Fair trade wines being a good thing, not Tanner's failure to keep up with your consumption.

I'm fond of Tanner's from when I used to go into Hereford/Shrewsbury during a Ludlow weekend long ago
      Last edited by Guest; 06-11-12, 21:38. Reason: trypo

Comment

• arancie33
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        not Tanner's failure to keep up with your consumption.
        There seems to be a rule in this house that, no matter how hard Tanners try, the wine always runs out before the next delivery. Not sure that we have a 'problem', but we even had a generous top-up from a recent visit to family in Italy and that somehow went. The children must have led us astray - again.

Comment

• umslopogaas
          • Nov 2010

My last bottle of wine? Well hopefully not literally the last, but you know, I just drank a bottle and I cant remember ... funny thing, wine. And I must get rid of those empties, the recycle black box is full and so are all the local recycle bins. The pile of bottles inside my back door is positively embarrassing.

It would have been a bottle of red, whatever is half price in Morrisons, reduced from eight quid to four. Four quid being what it should have been priced at in the first place.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

AS a change from all the Torretta Mondelli Nero d'Avola, I've been enjoying the 2010 Crozes Hermitage, a syrah from North Rhone. A great allround red from Sainsbury's.

Mondelli Prosecco is always in the fridge of course (well, more often out of it...). Jayne's Addiction.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

New to me, vints - many thanks for the tip

The resourceful and ever-reliable Wine Society carries the very same grower and vintage

I love Pecharmant . It is literally Charming Hill apparently an area in the north west of Bergerac - most Bergerac is made south of the Dordogne river . It has a very appealing cherry and almond note to it and is often much better value than clarets of a similar price .

You have to drive through Bergerac's less charming industrial estate to get to the little region itself which is indeed on a hillside down to the Dordogne . There are some very good growers. My favourites are the Domaine du Haut Pecharmant ( which appears to be hard to get in the UK ) and Chateau du Tiregand which Tanners have always sold until recently but no longer it seems . The latter in particular is delicious and after three or four years in bottle often has a lovely raspberry flavour to it too . Great stuff .

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                I love Pecharmant . It is literally Charming Hill apparently an area in the north west of Bergerac - most Bergerac is made south of the Dordogne river . It has a very appealing cherry and almond note to it and is often much better value than clarets of a similar price .

You have to drive through Bergerac's less charming industrial estate to get to the little region itself which is indeed on a hillside down to the Dordogne . There are some very good growers. My favourites are the Domaine du Haut Pecharmant ( which appears to be hard to get in the UK ) and Chateau du Tiregand which Tanners have always sold until recently but no longer it seems . The latter in particular is delicious and after three or four years in bottle often has a lovely raspberry flavour to it too . Great stuff .
                Lovely descriptions, Barbirollians (except the industrial estate ) - I can see that an order to Wine Society for a mixed case including some of this is needed, Thanks for the other recommendations too

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

New to me, vints - many thanks for the tip

The resourceful and ever-reliable Wine Society carries the very same grower and vintage

Doubtless where vindebergerac got his. And where my case is coming from on Friday!

Many, many thanks for the link, ammy. Barbirollians' description added to vinrouge's recommendation made this irresistible!
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• johnb
                    • Mar 2007

Waitrose's 25% off offer was ending and their store had an irresistible allure for me. I tried to stop myself but failed, miserably.

Based on Jancis Robinson's recent survey of Waitrose wines I now have 6 bottles of each of

Castaño, Heredad del Rey Selección Reservada 2010 Yecla £8.99-25%(Spanish)
                    Araldica, Corsini 2009 Barbaresco £10.99-25% (Italy)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ... with today's roast duck, a bott of pécharmant (ch champarel 2009).

I first encountered pécharmant when posted to Paris in the early '90s, and it quickly became a favourite.

Haven't had it for ages, and was delighted to find this bottle. If you ever come across this under-appreciated appellation, I can much recommend it!

I have just had my first glass of Pécharmant Ch. Champarel '09

Delicious, fruity and luscious in the mouth... YUM!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Sounds splendid Caliban

I am annoyed Tanners have stopped selling Tiregand though. I shall have to go to France in the spring I suppose and get some from the chateau - what a chore

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Tiregand 2007 now available from Tanners but £11.95 - quite expensive nowadays.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            Tiregand 2007 now available from Tanners but £11.95 - quite expensive nowadays.
                            Every now & then I find that I have to revise what I think of as expensive and reasonable for what Woy Jenkins might have called 'a tollerwobble bottle'

These days anything that's drinkable under £5 is a miracle in my experience and you need to glide up to the region of £10 for the everyday bottle (plenty in the £6.99+ range). My uppermost limit is about £15 these days and rarely afforded

Comment

• Pabmusic
                              • May 2011

I was in the local supermarket today and noticed many bottles bearing a Belgian flag. Belgium?! On closer inspection it was sparkling grape juice pretending to be wine.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                                • Nov 2010

I'm a great follower of d'Arenberg and whenever the budget allows - and a High Day approaches - I indulge in a 15% Dead Arm Shiraz. Half a case is on its way to Chateau Bax even as we speak.

Some 20 years ago (and please turn away now if you are offended by name-dropping) I was introduced to Vieux Telegraphe Chateauneuf-du-Pape by Ronald Searle. Admittedly the vintage was possibly at perfection (the label was extremely dusty) but I have never had such a stunning glass of wine either before or since. nor have I been able to replicate that sensation despite a fair amount of investment in Vieux Telegraphe bottles over the years. There is a pretty stunning white as well. (Edited to add that there is a lower quality wine offered by the same winery - Vieux Telegram - which, I have to say, is so-so).
                                O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

Working...
                                X