What Was Your Most Recent Bottle of Wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

Ah, yes, Withnail and I!

An absurd comedy,yes, but I liked the poignant ending,when it is clear one of them is off to a different, more affluent world, leaving the other behind. As Ozu Yasujiro says , 'Where now are the days of Youth?'

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      As Ozu Yasujiro [1903-1963] says, 'Where now are the days of Youth?'
      ...as François Villon [1431-1463] says, « Mais où sont les neiges d'antan! »

Comment

• smittims
        • Aug 2022

... and, I can't resist adding, Hugo von Hofmannsthal !

' Ja, such dir den Schnee vom vergangenen Jahr!'

(Der Rosenkavalier, Act One).

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

... and, I can't resist adding, Hugo von Hofmannsthal !

' Ja, such dir den Schnee vom vergangenen Jahr!'

(Der Rosenkavalier, Act One).
          But of course Rosenkavalier also gives us: Nein, nein! Ich trink kein Wein!

Comment

• smittims
            • Aug 2022

brilliant!

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Ah, yes, Withnail and I!

An absurd comedy,yes, but I liked the poignant ending,when it is clear one of them is off to a different, more affluent world, leaving the other behind. As Ozu Yasujiro says , 'Where now are the days of Youth?'
              'Youth's a stuff will not endure'.
              I think Uncle Monty was the most memorable character in 'Withnail and I'

Comment

• smittims
                • Aug 2022

Ah, now, curiously, I didn't like him! But certainly one of the values of that film is the way it is remembered in different ways by different viewers. These posts have certainly made me look forward to seeing it again.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  I think Uncle Monty was the most memorable character in 'Withnail and I'
                  Oh. Uncle Monty used to be a Host round these parts. I had no idea (ah, how oft is this true?) he started life on 'Withnail and I'.

PS I had a couple of glasses of Co-op's Côtes du Rhône with my lunchtime creation - brown rice, marrowfat peas and labneh - plus sundry other things.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Ah, now, curiously, I didn't like him! But certainly one of the values of that film is the way it is remembered in different ways by different viewers. These posts have certainly made me look forward to seeing it again.
                    I didn't say I liked him - just that he was memorable!.

Comment

• smittims
                      • Aug 2022

Ah, yes, I see the distinction. There have been several people in public life in recent years in that category!

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

I did attempt to get this thread back to somewhere approaching the topic .
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          ... a pinot noir from the Loire, 'pure vallée' vin de France from Bougrier.

I liked the blurb on the back - "we have conceived enjoyable and generous wines, on the fruit side and the freshness of our terroirs. Beautifully balanced, the mouth is velvety with black cherry aromas. Only fruit and immediate pleasure with a generous mouth and a lovely finish... "

To accompany some roast chicken, and a 'herby bean and celery salad' from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's new book "How to Eat 30 Plants a Week". Mme v is on a mission...

Comment

• Belgrove
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Quite right ff.

As it happens we also had a Côte du Rhone Village last night, a 2019 Domaine de Pierredon to accompany a gammon poached in apple juice and a root veg medley, a parsnip purée, accompanied by a sharp sauce of freshly picked damsons with a decent glug of last year’s damson gin to provide additional depth. More by luck than judgement, the wine shared with the sauce the dark fruity depths of the damson, and had a peppery and slightly bitter finish (olives?) providing a pretty good match for a rustic dish on a cool autumn evening. More of the sauce provided a sharp foil to accompany the cheesecake for desert.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... a pinot noir from the Loire, 'pure vallée' vin de France from Bougrier.

I liked the blurb on the back - "we have conceived enjoyable and generous wines, on the fruit side and the freshness of our terroirs. Beautifully balanced, the mouth is velvety with black cherry aromas. Only fruit and immediate pleasure with a generous mouth and a lovely finish... "

To accompany some roast chicken, and a 'herby bean and celery salad' from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's new book "How to Eat 30 Plants a Week". Mme v is on a mission...

From the Wine Society ? Very good lightly chilled if we get this early Indian summer this week.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

There was a piece on bargain wines in the Times yesterday . For anyone not wishing to go behind their pay wall they were.

Sainsbury’s House Pinot Grigio 5.35
                                chapter and verse Sauvignon semillon 5.19 Aldi
                                Tesco des Tourelles Claret 5.49 ( I agree with this one also recommended by Jancis Robinson as a mega bargain) tastes like a £10 wine)
                                Aldi Contevedo Cava 5.49 ( much better than sickly cheap Prosecco IMO)
                                Lidl Cepa Librel Crianza Rioja 4.99 ( cheap at 4.99 but nowhere near as good as that Tesco Claret
                                Tesco Asti 4.75

Comment

Working...
                                X