What Was Your Most Recent Bottle of Wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    Barbs. I once helped a guy deliver his yacht to Bordeaux. He was something of a wine expert and as we chugged the final 20 miles up the Gironde he was prancing on the deck pointing out various famous vineyards on the left and right banks. He treated me to a great meal in Bordeaux as a thank-you and bought a bottle of Chateau Margaux costing 60 euros...and this about 20 years ago. It was very pleasant, but 60 euros-worth pleasant? As you see I'm a philistine. I have however since then, developed a tiny bit of knowledge about Muscadet, which I find the very best accompaniment to shellfish. It is the one wine I buy and bring back from French trips, and I always pick a range (Sur Lie, naturellement) from about 8 to 15 euros; and the most expensive isn't always the best.
    Indeed and Waitrose;s excellent example - Le Fief Guerin - is a good illustration of the point .

I do believe that branded wines, however, are to be avoided.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      he was prancing on the deck
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

Just back from hols near Spoleto Very good local wines and reasonably cheap - 4 euros a litre in the restaurants. Most whites seemed to be Grechetto and excellent too, lots of Sangiovese which was equally pleasant. Looked in Waitrose yesterday but couldn't see any Grechetto there, I imagine it would cost rather more here, modest though it is.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by gradus View Post
          Just back from hols near Spoleto Very good local wines and reasonably cheap - 4 euros a litre in the restaurants. Most whites seemed to be Grechetto and excellent too, lots of Sangiovese which was equally pleasant. Looked in Waitrose yesterday but couldn't see any Grechetto there, I imagine it would cost rather more here, modest though it is.
          Grechetto is a grape, I believe often to be found (ok I googled this bit ) in Orvieto white wine.

Here's a grechetto wine from The Wine Society - sounds delicious and while rather more than 4 euros/bottle, I think it'd be worth a punt

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

... I liked the latest promo from the Wine Society :

'Thank heavens for The Wine Society. An institution that keeps us impecunious connoisseurs from abject despair'
            (Those were the kind words of Henry Jeffreys recently in The Lady magazine.)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... I liked the latest promo from the Wine Society :

'Thank heavens for The Wine Society. An institution that keeps us impecunious connoisseurs from abject despair'
              (Those were the kind words of Henry Jeffreys recently in The Lady magazine.)

Last weekend featured two WS numbers:

A delicious Umbrian white from east of Gubbio - "La Monacesca" Verdicchio di Matelica, 2010

And the house red at Caliban Towers: Château "Le Clos du Notaire", Côtes de Bourg, 2009 (also a fave of yours, do I recall, vindetable?)

The latter has just re-entered the WS list so I have obtained a further case

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

A delicious Umbrian white from east of Gubbio - "La Monacesca" Verdicchio di Matelica, 2010
                :
                ... I am glad you liked it (it is nice, isn't it?) - but neither my pedantry nor my marcheggiani friends will quite let you get away with this. It is a wine from le Marche and not from Umbria. Wrong side of the watershed...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

... I am glad you liked it (it is nice, isn't it?) - but neither my pedantry nor my marcheggiani friends will quite let you get away with this. It is a wine from le Marche and not from Umbria. Wrong side of the watershed...

Proper got me juices flowing whichever side of t'Pennines it's from

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

The Lady magazine.
                    Presumably (like Kenneth Horne reading 'Male Physique Monthly' for the 'gardening' section) you read it for the 'food and drink' section.... ?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Some advice please, if possible.......

Just half an hour ago a friend gave me a bottle of wine. Chablis, 2011, Union Des Viticulteurs, with a metal cap.

I shan't be opening it until July 2014, will it keep alright?

I have never had a bottle of any type of alcohol in my possession for more than 72 hours before polishing it off, so I'm stumped!!!

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

Just half an hour ago a friend gave me a bottle of wine. Chablis, 2011, Union Des Viticulteurs, with a metal cap.

I have never had a bottle of any type of alcohol in my possession for more than 72 hours before polishing it off, so I'm stumped!!!
                        put it in the freezer, should be fine.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          put it in the freezer, should be fine.
                          Good heavens I assume this is a joke . It will be wrecked .

It should be fine for a couple of years just keep it somewhere dark and cool .

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

Thanks, that seems much more sensible than teamsaint's suggestion. It is now safely under the stairs

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

Why July 2014 ?

Currently having a glass of Light elderberry 2012 very good
                              now must go and get the elderberries for the 2013 vintage

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

Barbi, Beefy knows me far better than to take my advice on almost anything !!
                                certainly not wine .

even I know that you don't freeze wine.

well I do now.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X