What Was Your Most Recent Bottle of Wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
    And footballers.......
    A Ferrari 599 GTB that was crashed by Cristiano Ronaldo in France in 2009 is set to go up for sale for double its.

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Marcillac Lo Sang del Pais 2012- crunchy south west french red - £7.95 from the wine society and available elsewhere too - purple , grassy delicious and apparently very high in antioxidants so a health drink really.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        Marcillac Lo Sang del Pais 2012- crunchy south west french red - £7.95 from the wine society and available elsewhere too - purple , grassy delicious and apparently very high in antioxidants so a health drink really.
        Very interesting - currently putting together a mixed case from the WS to try out a few new ones, and are a few short, that sounds a good one to try

Thanks.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Very interesting - currently putting together a mixed case from the WS to try out a few new ones, and are a few short, that sounds a good one to try

Thanks.
          It must be Spring - I'm doing the same thing Caliban and shall bung in a marcillac or two on your recommendation, Barbs. Don't forget the latest release from the Lebanese maestros at Ch Hochar

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            Marcillac Lo Sang del Pais 2012- crunchy south west french red - £7.95 from the wine society .
            ... it's very nice; not too heavy, goes brilliantly with sausages.

Coïncidentally - from the same page on the Wine Society list - to go with today's duck we had a lovely little madiran - 'Odé d' Aydie' - £9-50 I think - a good grip to cope with the roast duck, but not at all harsh, nice perfume. Very much recommended.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

I also recommend highly the Bricco Langhe Rosso 2008 from Italy - a bargain at £6.75 at the wine society .

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

... this weekend we have been mostly drinking :

ch Le Clos du Notaire 2009 cotes de bourg.

To quote the Wine Society : "75% merlot with the balance cabernet, this has the foursquare structure typical of the bourg appellation, with good fresh attack and pure fruit. Now to 2016. 13.5%"

For less than a tenner for a tidy little claret from a super-excellent year, this is a real bargain. I shall have to see whether the Wine Society has any bottles left...

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... this weekend we have been mostly drinking :

ch Le Clos du Notaire 2009 cotes de bourg.

To quote the Wine Society : "75% merlot with the balance cabernet, this has the foursquare structure typical of the bourg appellation, with good fresh attack and pure fruit. Now to 2016. 13.5%"

For less than a tenner for a tidy little claret from a super-excellent year, this is a real bargain. I shall have to see whether the Wine Society has any bottles left...
                  I've yet to have a bad bottle of Bordeaux from 2009. Still plenty of bargains to be had, too.
                  It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... noöne here seems to have come up with anything which even approximates Gerald Asher's * classic description of a nuits-st-georges :

"Deep colour and big, shaggy nose. Rather a jumbly, untidy sort of wine, with fruitiness shooting off one way, firmness another, and body pushing about underneath. It will be as comfortable and comforting as the 1961 Nuits St. Georges when it has pulled its ends in and settled down."

... still waiting

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Asher

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                      • Mar 2013

... noöne here seems to have come up with anything which even approximates Gerald Asher's * classic description of a nuits-st-georges :

"Deep colour and big, shaggy nose. Rather a jumbly, untidy sort of wine, with fruitiness shooting off one way, firmness another, and body pushing about underneath. It will be as comfortable and comforting as the 1961 Nuits St. Georges when it has pulled its ends in and settled down."

... still waiting

Aha, a New Yorker usage of the diaresis! I trust you are an Oxford comma man, too.
                      It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                        I trust you are an Oxford comma man, too.
                        ... o, very much so.

Even Caliban, who sadly is of the other persuasion, agrees...

Video from Vampire Weekend for the single 'Oxford Comma' directed by Richard Ayoade.Purchase Vampire Weekend on vinyl at XL Recordings: https://xlrecordings....

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

Having taken a fancy to more fish recently (devil-of-a-thing to cook just so though, isn't it...) I found a lovely white bordeaux in Sainsburys - this is the 2011 Roc Saint Vincent, a sauvignon blanc, which we've been having with Smoked Cod or Haddock sauced with carbonara, mascarpone etc. Chill it as far as you dare.. then how it cuts through! Delicious.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                            Aha, a New Yorker usage of the diaresis! I trust you are an Oxford comma man, too.
                            I agree with Lynn Truss in Eats, Shoots and Leaves where she writes:

"There are people who embrace the Oxford comma, and people who don't, and I'll just say this: never get between these people when drink has been taken."

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

... still waiting

The Gevrey Chambertin en Pallud 2006 from TWS will come quite close - if you want to or can spend £29 on it !

Comment

• Madame Suggia
                                • Sep 2012

Dandelion 2011

lovely... if a bit face numbing

Comment

Working...
                                X