• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Tea drinking

What’s your preference with tea?

Back at the workplace, the tea-club was no easy matter. War would break out if the poor soul responsible for buying the supplies had not maintained a supply of Tetley, Yorkshire and PG Tips tea-bags.

The northerners in the office would only drink Yorkshire, we southerners PG Tips, and Tetley for the remaining mixed group of people.

One day some years ago, when there was no PG Tips available in the office, I had a cup of Yorkshire and I thought it was horrid.

On Wednesday, I ran out of tea bags and fancied a change, so I bought a box of Yorkshire Gold. Well, I’m converted. Knocks the spots off my usual PG Tips. I’m quite surprised.

I have a brown betty tea-pot and from time to time I brew up with it. It helps to have a tea cozy that really works.

A good friend of mine only uses loose tea and a brown betty, so I do drink proper tea fairly regularly.

• pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

I have an odd relationship with tea. I only drink coffee at home but it's inevitably tea at work. If I try to swap over it can make me physically sick. Tea wise, we often get big bags tea handed into us at work so it's just a case of what's available.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

One of my grandfathers was a tea taster in the days when a chemistry degree wasn't required. You just had to live within spitting distance of the Thames. I never met him. He died on the eve of war in 1939 aged 50. Most of his international friends in the trade were German. Had he had his way in the mid 1930s, I would have been half Sri Lankan but the family didn't move to Ceylon as he wished. My grandmother refused to be more than a mile from the Walworth Road. I like the sort of tea that cafes sell when they are called a cafe - ie rhyming with "safe". Otherwise it is PG. I have all their books of historical cars, famous people etc with a complete set of stickers. I also very much like the PG monkey.

Comment

• subcontrabass
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          What’s your preference with tea?

No more than two cups per year.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
            No more than two cups per year.
            Too many that

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

I am happy drinking either coffee or tea at either work or home and frequently swap round. It was either PG or Tetley for years and my mother always bought loose Typhoo back in the day but nowadays I very much like Twinings Everyday at home. I've tried Yorkshire and don't like it but do like Earl Grey.

One of the women in the office has her Yorkshire tea at maximum industrial strength, black no sugar, teabag left in and has to be seen to be believed.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

I run on tea.
                Tesco regular bags, medium plus strength, just a splash of milk.

Don't mind Lapsang. Earl grey is fine but needs a decent piece of cake with it, useless on its own.

Don't really trust other people to make it though, so if offered a choice I usually opt for coffee, because I don't care how it is.
                Ideally tea needs a decent china mug ,and a digestive biscuit.

In hard water areas that Yorkshire hardwater tea is very good too.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Just a minute after posting here on tea, a Whittard advert has appeared on the side of my Outlook page. Coincidence or are we being watched that much?
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    Just a minute after posting here on tea, a Whittard advert has appeared on the side of my Outlook page. Coincidence or are we being watched that much?
                    Be afraid, very afraid .....

Re tea we use Bodum glass teapots with a plastic insert, and loose leaf tea - generally from Asda, but not exclusively so. Yorkshire tea is quite good - and we always wonder which side of the slopes the Yorkshire inhabs picked the leaves from - some of our family come from Yorkshire ....

Several pots a day - though I have definitely switched to coffee for the mornings - apart from a very early cup of tea.

Comment

• David-G
                      • Mar 2012

Darjeeling loose-leaf from Waitrose. I make it in the cup with a strainer, the brew time is quite short, perhaps 20 to 30 seconds. It should be a pale golden colour. No milk. Delicious.

Comment

• AmpH
                        • Feb 2012

I'm a tea man - always have been. Tea is fuel for the body, satisfying and refreshing like a Haydn Symphony, whereas coffee is just muck as far as I'm concerned ( like a Bruckner Symphony ) and I won't have it in the house.

When time permits, I have various loose teas which I like , but for general use, Clipper Organic Everyday Tea Bags in a nice strong brew with a dash of milk is full and refreshing and really hits the spot - get it from my local Sainsburys.

A deliciously refreshing, rich and full-bodied blend of quality black teas sourced from the finest organic tea gardens. ingredients Organic Everyday Tea, 250g Organically grown black tea. Clipper products are made with pure natural ingredients. We use only the highest-quality sources, add nothing artificial. No wonder

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Although I do have loose leaf tea around for sunday afternoons and the like I have recently reverted to the tea of my childhood Sainsburys Red Label and it is cheaper and as good as many of the brands of builders tea - although I can understand why the Irish love Barrys tea .

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            In hard water areas that Yorkshire hardwater tea is very good too.
                            That's my poison, in this hard water area. Don't drink a lot of tea, but once in a while a hot cuppa just hits the spot. Strongish, with milk and 1 sugar.
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Tea is my fuel - Yorkshire teabags, left in the mug for ten-fifteen minutes, no sugar, plenty of milk. Decaff after 4:00pm. Blue Flower Earl Grey tea leaves in a pot when drinking tea in a Tea Rooms (avoid Betty's - overpriced and not especially good).

Yorkshire Gold / hard water blends for other parts of the country - 23 miles from Harrogate means perfect water conditions here for the original.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X