Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Feb 2021

Some music to accompany your cheesy potatoes and sausage

Such a strong accent!

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

Currently enjoying on a sojourn in East Anglia Baron Bigod, a lusty, creamy Suffolk Brie de Meaux, named after a local Norman Bigwig who got up Henry II's nose, accompanied by a crusty baguette and a glass of robust Corbieres.

Comment

• Roger Webb
        • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
        Some music to accompany your cheesy potatoes and sausage

Such a strong accent!
        Thanks for that, my wife will appreciate it, he visited the school in a Paris suburb at which she taught.

Comment

• Roger Webb
          • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          ............... a local Norman Bigwig who got up Henry II's nose, accompanied by a crusty baguette and a glass of robust Corbieres.....
          Painful!!

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
            Painful!!
            They devised unusual forms of torture back then.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Yesterday I stocked up with my usual trio of Spanish cheeses from El Colmado - Cabrales, Valdeón and semi-mature Manchego, with a large box of freshly dressed Spanish green olives. So today I thought I would treat myself to a baguette from the Guild of Dough (three quarters the size of the Coop's, twice the price and incomparable). One really needs to buy two because by the time you get home one of them would have been eaten by someone.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

No Langres at Tesco for two weeks running so I bought some vintage Gruyere and ... because it's famous and I'd never had it before, Port Salut.

And this concludes my review

Oh, should be clear: I think the Gruyere will be fine. The stuff from the Co-op is.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  No Langres at Tesco for two weeks running so I bought some vintage Gruyere and ... because it's famous and I'd never had it before, Port Salut.

And this concludes my review

Oh, should be clear: I think the Gruyere will be fine. The stuff from the Co-op is.
                  ... isn't port-salut totally plastic and industriel ?

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port-Salut_(marque_fromag%C3%A8re)

(Tho' I did like, from that wiki page -

« Tu l'as trop écrasé, César, ce Port-Salut ! » est un alexandrin et palindrome attribué à Victor Hugo ... )

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    ... isn't port-salut totally plastic and industriel ?
                    I don't believe most of what I'm told, so I thought I would try it. It was harmless enough just not ... choice.

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    (Tho' I did like, from that wiki page -

« Tu l'as trop écrasé, César, ce Port-Salut ! » est un alexandrin et palindrome attribué à Victor Hugo ... )
                    That altogether made the experience worthwhile. Mille remerciements!

Comment

Working...
                    X