• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
    You've got it TanteD!......but there is just a bit more to it!
    I was too polite to post it

Comment

• Roger Webb
      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
      I was too polite to post it

Yes, absolutely disgusting!!!..................................... ...............................having a cat on the table!

The manner he's doing that part of the operation is a clue to the cheese!!!???

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Yes, absolutely disgusting!!!..................................... ...............................having a cat on the table!

The manner he's doing that part of the operation is a clue to the cheese!!!???
        Pouring a bit of orange muscat into a Langres cheese is a bit more refined than that! You eat the cheese rather than drinking from it, when the alcohol has sunk through. The orange muscat doesn't fizz though.:

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Roger Webb
          • Feb 2024

Originally posted by french frank View Post

................ You eat the cheese rather than drinking from it.......
          ........with those 'oven ready' Camemberts You drink the cheese rather than eating from it....

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

........with those 'oven ready' Camemberts You drink the cheese rather than eating from it....
            I have never partaken of a baked Camembert and have no wish to. The Langres is a soft cheese with a washed rind anyway: the wine merely gives it a bit of flavour. I stuck a skewer in the top so that the few drops of wine could leach down into the cheese.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Roger Webb
              • Feb 2024

I have never partaken of a baked Camembert and have no wish to. The Langres is a soft cheese with a washed rind anyway: the wine merely gives it a bit of flavour. I stuck a skewer in the top so that the few drops of wine could leach down into the cheese.
              I'm trying it tomorrow FF....an excuse to visit Ledbury our nearest T***o! Football just finished I'll examine my celler for a suitable wine!

BTW the connection with Goat was that in Central France, Faire Chabrol originally meant to drink like a goat hence the application to what you see in the photo from AuntD.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                Host
                • Jun 2018

I've learnt a lot today about cheese, wine & French customs. Thanks Roger & French Frank.

I'll have a look in our local Coleford Co-op to see if any of these delicacies are to be had...

Comment

• Roger Webb
                  • Feb 2024

We're having onion soup tomorrow faire chabrot - and as it seems obligatory to wear a beret at the dining table, I've looked mine out....my wife disapproves of me wearing it in France, so this'll be an opportunity to get some use out of it. Following that, Moules and then Langres à la FF....I've checked my celler and I have a Muscat St-Jean de Minervois by Colomban which won a Medaille d'argent in the Paris show. Interestingly Hugh Johnson gives Muscat as an accompaniment to washed rind cheeses incl. Langres, along with Alsace Gewurz. and some reds.

BTW AuntD, we often go over to Cinderford to Tesco, but tomorrow it's Ledbury.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

I've checked my celler and I have a Muscat St-Jean de Minervois by Colomban which won a Medaille d'argent in the Paris show. Interestingly Hugh Johnson gives Muscat as an accompaniment to washed rind cheeses incl. Langres, along with Alsace Gewurz. and some reds.
                    That is interesting. I claim no expert knowledge of such things (or anything) - just a 'what if?' curiosity, safe in the self-knowledge that I'll eat anything, even if it's awful. Well, I have hitherto drawn the line at baked camembert. Also snails, but if I happen to be eating out with my metropolitan nephew who is known to partake I might beg a half snail to test. He says the texture is a bit like mushrooms.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Langres ...I've checked my celler and I have a Muscat St-Jean de Minervois by Colomban which won a Medaille d'argent in the Paris show. Interestingly Hugh Johnson gives Muscat as an accompaniment to washed rind cheeses incl. Langres, along with Alsace Gewurz. and some reds.

the received wisdom on wines to accompany your langres -

'vins blancs secs : coteaux champenois, puligny-montrachet, chablis, sancerre, champagne'

"les amateurs verseront dans la 'fontaine' du langres du marc de champagne ou de bourgogne"

Comment

• Roger Webb
                        • Feb 2024

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

'vins blancs secs : coteaux champenois, puligny-montrachet, chablis, sancerre, champagne'

"les amateurs verseront dans la 'fontaine' du langres du marc de champagne ou de bourgogne"
                        Thanks for those suggestions, interesting Sancerre is suggested but not Poilly-Fumé....I'd prefer Chablis, especially as we're having moules before the cheese - although I think Chablis (even petit) a little grand for such a modest crustacean...my preference when in Brittany is for Gros plant sur lie or Muscadet of course....or even cider.

Hugh Johnson gives Cahors and robust wines from the Languedoc as red alternatives for washed rind cheeses.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

I somehow find the idea of filling the 'trou' in the top of the cheese with marc - of any sort - then setting it alight like brandy and Christmas Pudding (the marc would need to be warmed before it would ignite) ever so slightly gross. Why spoil perfectly good cheese. It reminds me of Mitterand and the poor ortolans.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                            I somehow find the idea of filling the 'trou' in the top of the cheese with marc - of any sort - then setting it alight like brandy and Christmas Pudding (the marc would need to be warmed before it would ignite) ever so slightly gross.
                            I agree about setting it alight, just as I dislike the idea of baking camembert.

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                            Why spoil perfectly good cheese. It reminds me of Mitterand and the poor ortolans.
                            Infusing the cheese with a little wine seems to me to be of a different order, especially if you're going to drink wine with it anyway. I haven't tried marc/grappa so haven't developed a taste or a distaste for it.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                              Host
                              • Jun 2018

I agree about setting it alight, just as I dislike the idea of baking camembert.
                              Une solution parfaite...

Seen on Twitter, but Amazon have them.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                                • Feb 2024

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                                Une solution parfaite...

Seen on Twitter, but Amazon have them.
                                On the subject of melted cheese, one of my favourite regional restaurants in Paris is the Ambassade d'Auvergne a couple of streets north of the Centre Pompidou. They serve that rib-sticker of a potato dish, Pommes Aligot...and in the traditional way, at the table with the maitre de rang overseeing the operation and a sous-chef with an enormous copper pan, firstly mixing, and then to demonstrate the consistency, lifting the mash into the air as high as it'll go. The elasticity is achieved by the inclusion of Cantal, or some say Tomme, cheese. This is often served with a single Andoillette, at the Ambassade of excellent quality. Good selection of wines from the area, the sommelier will recommend wines from the region, we took his advice and had an excellent Pays d'Issoire gamay, like a Beaujolais village, and just right for the andoillette.

L'Ambassade d'Auvergne is a restaurant that I have been visiting for over 30 years. It was included in the original Food Lover's Guide to Paris  in 1984, and a recent meal there confirmed that it is still as good as ever. I was happy to find a whole host of new dishes on the menu since my

Comment

Working...
                                X