• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keraulophone
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Stephen Markwick … served Sauternes jelly with his cheese board
    Sauternes jelly is excellent with foie gras, if you like that sort of thing; but save the Ch d’Yquem for Omelette Rothschild with apricots.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

It's standard practice....Chât. d'Yquem if you can afford it.
      Monbazilliac if not.

Comment

• Roger Webb
        • Feb 2024

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

Monbazilliac if not.
        Lunched at Chât. de Montbazillac once, after which we did the tour of this magnificent chateau......more than I can say of d'Yquem.

Comment

• Keraulophone
          • Nov 2010

We were served this charming Sicilian sweetie with pudding last night. Made with the Zibibbo (Muscat of Alexandria) grape, which invading Muslims used to make into raisins instead. It's in the Montbazilliac price range.

Discover the bouquet of the Tenute Orestiadi sweet zibibbo, its hints of candied citrus fruits and honey, the notes of ripe fruit and its soft and silky body.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

I took the last of the Époisses out of the fridge a few hours ago and thought I would sample it with nothing - no bread, no crackers - and just concentrate and think what I felt would go well with it (not that I had much choice in the house anyway). The first impression was the creaminess of it, the second the saltiness. So, yes, the Sauternes was fine. And that's the Époisses gone. Next will be the Langres for which some research will be necessary as I don't have the expertise/experience of my chers collègues here who have already made up their minds. I might have to walk to Waitrose tomorrow if it's fine (30 mins as no buses go there from our humble district). Coop still only has the Jurançon though it has had Montbazillac before now. I think it can only cope with one dessert wine at a time.

Oh, correct spelling: Monbazillac: the t is not only silent but also invisible. Barsac is another good one.
            Last edited by french frank; 13-04-24, 21:46.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Clue in today's Times crossword:
              A very tiny bit of excellent cheese. (3, 5)

Answer, which I only got with the help of letters from crossing clues.

Top Quark - always something new to learn.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                Clue in today's Times crossword:
                A very tiny bit of excellent cheese. (3, 5)

Answer, which I only got with the help of letters from crossing clues.

Top Quark - always something new to learn.
                As you say, always something new. And with a gift for misunderstanding clues, I was seeking a cheese called Top Quark
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Went to T***o for my Langres cheese and thought I would skip the Sauternes and see what Brown Brothers Orange Muscat and Flora was like. Only 9.5% abv and I'd forgotten Brown Brothers is/are Australian rather than French (a bit like Brodsky forgetting that St Peter's cemetery was a cemetery). Anyway, Langres has a natural depression in the top into which it is not, apparently, unusual to pour a little marc (or champagne) so I thought I'd pour a little BBOM&F into the depression. I let it stand for an hour or so and it was really quite palatable after lunch. Cheese rather more spreadable than usual.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                    • Feb 2024

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Went to T***o for my Langres cheese and thought I would skip the Sauternes and see what Brown Brothers Orange Muscat and Flora was like. Only 9.5% abv and I'd forgotten Brown Brothers is/are Australian rather than French (a bit like Brodsky forgetting that St Peter's cemetery was a cemetery). Anyway, Langres has a natural depression in the top into which it is not, apparently, unusual to pour a little marc (or champagne) so I thought I'd pour a little BBOM&F into the depression. I let it stand for an hour or so and it was really quite palatable after lunch. Cheese rather more spreadable than usual.
                    Faire chabrot? But only with goat's cheese?

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Connais pas. ??

Comment

• Roger Webb
                        • Feb 2024

Connais pas. ??
                        I think the practice of Faire Chabrot my have died out...you'll have to ask MickyD, as it was much more likely to have been seen down his way...I've only seen it once and that was in a Bouillon in Rue St. Jacques in Paris about forty years ago! But I've never seen it with cheese....derived from any type of milk!

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

I find this from Wiktionnaire: 'Du latin capreolus, boire comme une chèvre, car ce mélange se boit à même l'assiette'. But the custom with Langres cheeses seems to be this:

Fromage Langres et Champagne Kicking off my first post of 2022 with a theatrical Champagne and Cheese Course. Not just any cheese, but a special cow’s milk cheese that originates from the plateau of Langres in the Champagne region of France. What Grows Together, Goes Together A broadly accurate principle for matching wine with a particular food … Continue reading "Fromage Langres et Champagne"

The rind is washed with marc so perhaps they don't actually pour it into the ripened cheese. But with Brown Brothers Orange Muscat? Ne'er till now! I had it after my soup lunch today, and as I usually have some sort of accompaniment with cheese, I decided to stay sweet and have a dollop of rosehip jelly. Not bad at all.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                            • Feb 2024

.............I had it after my soup lunch today, and as I usually have some sort of accompaniment............
                            Ah! The soup's the clue! Sorry to have set such a riddle......I knew Faire Chabrot had become rare/extinct.....but...my wife tells me during the Fête des Oignons in Mantes la Jolie it is de rigueur!......but not in polite households/restaurants otherwise!

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                              Host
                              • Jun 2018

Ah! The soup's the clue! Sorry to have set such a riddle......I knew Faire Chabrot had become rare/extinct.....but...my wife tells me during the Fête des Oignons in Mantes la Jolie it is de rigueur!......but not in polite households/restaurants otherwise!
                              I'd not heard of chabrot or faire chabrot before. Perhaps this is one of French Frank's more rustic ancestors...

Last edited by AuntDaisy; 20-06-24, 15:28. Reason: Fixed first link to The Beret Project

Comment

• Roger Webb
                                • Feb 2024

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                                I'd not heard of chabrot or faire chabrot before. Perhaps this is one of French Frank's more rustic ancestors...

You've got it TanteD!......but there is just a bit more to it!

Comment

Working...
                                X