• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

A bit of History

One of two of the photos I've taken over the years now seem to belong in a History book rather than a photo album.

This pic, taken on Nevsky Prospekt during a 2 week stay in Leningrad in December 1982, seems almost surreal now (it seemed pretty surreal at the time!) - a different century, a different country, a different city. A military peaked cap in the crowd. Even the traffic light's red. (And that's the equivalent of Oxford Street - not much in the clothes shop window...)

I'm sure there are some more slices of history in Forumites' collections (and of course those haunting pictures of family cars of yore are right up there!)
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 14-09-13, 01:14.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    One of two of the photos I've taken over the years now seem to belong in a History book rather than a photo album.

This pic, taken on Nevsky Prospekt during a 2 week stay in Leningrad in December 1982, seems almost surreal now (it seemed pretty surreal at the time!) - a different century, a different country, a different city. A military peaked cap in the crowd. Even the traffic light's red. (And that's the equivalent of Oxford Street - not much in the clothes shop window...)

I'm sure there are some more slices of history in Forumites' collections (and of course those haunting pictures of family cars of yore are right up there!)
    Today those shop window displays would probably be hailed in some design periodical as "Zen Minimalist", or something, if that shop were off the Zurich Niederdorf.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Great photo, Caliban. I was in Leningrad in December 1979 so that picture provokes some memories.

Some of my photos of Berlin in October 1980, particularly of Checkpoint Charlie, the Wall and East Berlin (a particularly good one of the Alexanderplatz) would qualify for this thread but they are all stashed away on negatives only so can't upload on here.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        Great photo, Caliban. I was in Leningrad in December 1979 so that picture provokes some memories.

Some of my photos of Berlin in October 1980, particularly of Checkpoint Charlie, the Wall and East Berlin (a particularly good one of the Alexanderplatz) would qualify for this thread but they are all stashed away on negatives only so can't upload on here.
        Thanks Pet... and you're right, I sort of forgot the technical aspect, making it rather more difficult to post the 'historic' sort of picture - mine of course were on negs too, but some years ago there was a little photo shop near here which had an offer on (and a new machine for) scanning negatives to CD. I got quite a number of packets of old negatives transferred in this way (and some slides too).

Hence, as regards Berlin, I can assist with the following photos. I had several trips to Berlin in the late '80s, early 90s, before and just after the Wall came down. These count as 'historic' too, another vanished era...

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

really amazing photos, thanks to both of you.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

great stuff....
            bong ching

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

love the piccie of Bruce Grobbelaar in particular......

here he is , after givingh up politics, in his later career between the sticks...

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

Might not look that impressive,but this is yer actual charge of the light brigade country (death valley),Sevastopol.
                A picture taken a few years ago when we were in the Ukraine.
                Very moving being stood at the top of that hill.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                  • Nov 2010

Brandenburg Gate & Wall pictures are brill. I love the Charge of the Light Brigade picture too.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                    Might not look that impressive,but this is yer actual charge of the light brigade country (death valley),Sevastopol
                    Blimey Rob, that's amazing. Battlefields really are haunted places, aren't they...

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Battlefields really are haunted places, aren't they...
                      They certainly are. I went to the Falaise Gap in Normandy a few years ago and looking simultaneously at a 1944 photograph taken near St Lambert after the battle was unbelievably spooky as some of the buildings were recognisably the same as then.

Wish I could upload some of the Normandy/D-Day beaches photos but again they are on negs.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Blimey Rob, that's amazing. Battlefields really are haunted places, aren't they...
                        Indeed they are Cali,like Petrushka I've also done some of the WW1 & 2 sites,very thought provoking places.

On a cruise a few years ago we sailed past the Gallipoli Peninsula,very eerie and quiet,unfortunately the pictures are lost.

Here's a bit of history,Napoleon's birthplace in Ajaccio.
                        I'm no photographer but you can just make out the plaque.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                          Here's a bit of history,Napoleon's birthplace in Ajaccio.
                          I'm no photographer but you can just make out the plaque.
                          Indeed! "NAPOLEON EST NÉ DANS CETTE MAISON" What's the house now? Museum to the little chap, or just apartments?

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Indeed! "NAPOLEON EST NÉ DANS CETTE MAISON" What's the house now? Museum to the little chap, or just apartments?
                            Bonapartments?

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

A museum now Cal http://www.napoleonguide.com/ajaccio.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X