Having Received my 23 discs of Haydn Quartets ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

Having Received my 23 discs of Haydn Quartets ...

WHY is the delightful Haydn Serenade ( by Hofstetter, but we'll keep that a secret, ssh. ) not included ?

A delightful tune ', first heard whilst sitting on my potty, my mother was very musical, however, not quite so with chamber music.

A great tune which I was glad to hear again after all these years & find is still being attributed to Haydn.

Just google ' Haydn Serenade ' & see what happens - dozens of versions ( just between ourselves it's actually a rather pleasing tune ) will appear.

It would surely have been a ' top of the pops ' in its time.

Will be glad to have your opinions,

gamba
  • Roehre

Originally posted by gamba View Post
    WHY is the delightful Haydn Serenade ( by Hofstetter, but we'll keep that a secret, ssh. ) not included ?

A delightful tune ', first heard whilst sitting on my potty, my mother was very musical, however, not quite so with chamber music.

A great tune which I was glad to hear again after all these years & find is still being attributed to Haydn.

Just google ' Haydn Serenade ' & see what happens - dozens of versions ( just between ourselves it's actually a rather pleasing tune ) will appear.

It would surely have been a ' top of the pops ' in its time.

Will be glad to have your opinions,

gamba
    Gamba, a PC editor/assembler of the set I'm afraid: it isn't Haydn, so it hasn't got to be included

Since "Schlafe mein Prinzchen" is not longer by Mozart, it isn't included in any of the "Complete" Mozart editions or "complete Mozart Lieder" -sets.

Bach's cantatas which have been proven not to be by him, don't appear in any of the Bach cantata cycles either.

Comment

• gamba
      Late member
      • Dec 2010

Roehre,

This was only a lighthearted comment. What amazes me is the vast number of references on the web apparently accepting Haydn as the person responsible for the music. You must refer to Robins Landon or Hans Keller if it's for a more detailed analysis of the situation & if they're still alive.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
        • Apr 2007

Roehre,

This was only a lighthearted comment. What amazes me is the vast number of references on the web apparently accepting Haydn as the person responsible for the music. You must refer to Robins Landon or Hans Keller if it's for a more detailed analysis of the situation & if they're still alive.
        Alas, neither is. Keller went a long tome ago (1980s?), HCRL in the last year or two.

EDIT Keller 1919-87, HCR-L 1926-2009, so not quite 'last few years'. How time flies...
        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Roehre

Roehre,

This was only a lighthearted comment. What amazes me is the vast number of references on the web apparently accepting Haydn as the person responsible for the music. .....
          Hi Gamba,

Google Purcell and Trumpet voluntary, and exactly the same happens , though Clarke's authorschip has been established in the early 1970s already.
          There isn't anything against it, a lovely melody or piece remains a lovely melody, whoever composed it.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
            Hi Gamba,

Google Purcell and Trumpet voluntary, and exactly the same happens , though Clarke's authorschip has been established in the early 1970s already.
            There isn't anything against it, a lovely melody or piece remains a lovely melody, whoever composed it.

Comment

• gamba
              Late member
              • Dec 2010

Thanks to you both - was only having a little light-hearted fun. Having now included Purcell, who else is there - or would they be too numerous ?

Frankly, I find difficulty in going beyond two. Although there must be many more.

Comment

• gamba
                Late member
                • Dec 2010

Thank you all. A slight digression, Many years ago having got three other very ordinary amateur string players interested in the string qt. I found myself in the BBC Club Glasgow queuing for a beer. Behind me a well-known voice. I turned & said, " May I ask you for some advice "? " What might that involve " said he " A suitable choice of really worthwhile music for a newly formed string qt.with little experience." He was great & confirmed my choice of the two Mozart, K 136 & K137 qts. Also, something else I knew nothing of for players of little ability, Haydn's op. 42 in D min. I look back upon that meeting as having great value in so many ways. He was, of course, a fellow employee of the BBC, Hans Keller.

Comment

• amateur51

Thank you all. A slight digression, Many years ago having got three other very ordinary amateur string players interested in the string qt. I found myself in the BBC Club Glasgow queuing for a beer. Behind me a well-known voice. I turned & said, " May I ask you for some advice "? " What might that involve " said he " A suitable choice of really worthwhile music for a newly formed string qt.with little experience." He was great & confirmed my choice of the two Mozart, K 136 & K137 qts. Also, something else I knew nothing of for players of little ability, Haydn's op. 42 in D min. I look back upon that meeting as having great value in so many ways. He was, of course, a fellow employee of the BBC, Hans Keller.
                  You've only been and gone and done it again gamba!

Great story, beautifully told

Comment

• Cornet IV

Thanks to you both - was only having a little light-hearted fun. Having now included Purcell, who else is there - or would they be too numerous ?

Frankly, I find difficulty in going beyond two. Although there must be many more.
                    As far as I know, I am the only one to attest that the first (CMaj) of Bach's Eight Little Preludes and Fugues was penned by someone else - JSB could not possibly have been the author of such an inconsequential and banal piece. Does this add to your two?

Comment

• gamba
                      Late member
                      • Dec 2010

1V Cornet - I sincerely hope not !

Comment

• Cornet IV

1V Cornet - I sincerely hope not !
                        Oh dear, I'm still on my own then. Perhaps it was ghost-written by Clementi?

Comment

Working...
                        X