• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Having been to a Welsh university, I have gradually come to the view that outside Wales, few are aware of how much fine music is in that country and deserves to be heard more of. At the same time, there is a view inside the country that it's music is greater than it really is.
    Besides Barrett, there are splendid works by Mathias, Hoddinott, and Jones - but go into any shop in Wales that sells CDs and under "Welsh Music - Classical" and you're offered Bryn Terfel or Katherine Jenkins singing songs from the Shows or, if it's a really up-market shop, Caitlin Finch playing the Goldberg Variations on a Harp.

One of the finest Symphony Orchestras in the UK, shouldn't the Welsh Assembly be funding them to record and promote this "other" Welsh culture?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Gordon
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Besides Barrett, there are splendid works by Mathias, Hoddinott, and Jones - but go into any shop in Wales that sells CDs and under "Welsh Music - Classical" and you're offered Bryn Terfel or Katherine Jenkins singing songs from the Shows or, if it's a really up-market shop, Caitlin Finch playing the Goldberg Variations on a Harp.

One of the finest Symphony Orchestras in the UK, shouldn't the Welsh Assembly be funding them to record and promote this "other" Welsh culture?
      In a word, yes!!

Comment

• Honoured Guest

The recent cd of Catrin Finch (harp) and Seckou Keita (kora) has been very well received.

BBC NOW plays much music by Welsh composers, dead and alive, including many first performances like Paul Mealor's tonight.

Welsh Assembly Governmnent and Arts Council Wales both fund Tŷ Cerdd: http://www.tycerdd.org/

Comment

• Gordon
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
          The recent cd of Catrin Finch (harp) and Seckou Keita (kora) has been very well received.

BBC NOW plays much music by Welsh composers, dead and alive, including many first performances like Paul Mealor's tonight.

Welsh Assembly Governmnent and Arts Council Wales both fund Tŷ Cerdd: http://www.tycerdd.org/
          Yes I knew about Ty Cerrdd - Wales does have a thriving music culture. My original point was that it would have cost London very little to have taken a couple of hours yesterday to celebrate the culture and music of a component nation of the "UK", or don't we count? America seemed to be more deserving of network time yesterday. As far as London is concerned the other nations, and even some English regions, are colonies. No wonder [some of] the Scots want out.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Had a St David's Day dinner last night(see Stormy Weather). I was the only person there who had any Welsh connection!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
              My original point was that it would have cost London very little to have taken a couple of hours yesterday to celebrate the culture and music of a component nation of the "UK", or don't we count? America seemed to be more deserving of network time yesterday. As far as London is concerned the other nations, and even some English regions, are colonies. No wonder [some of] the Scots want out.
              Exactly. It would have been a simple matter to have Saturday Classics devoted to Wales instead of USA (I only heard the beginning and end, it started with Bernstein's America and finished with Moonlight in Vermont!) However, if you are in London, programme planning, unless you are Welsh then most people would be unaware of St. David. I wonder however if there will be a St. Patrick's event on R3 (he being a higher profile saint), although, of course, he was Welsh!

Comment

• Gordon
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                I wonder however if there will be a St. Patrick's event on R3 (he being a higher profile saint), although, of course, he was Welsh!
                Not long to wait then, Monday, March 17th!! We'll see what they do - or don't do. Then there's St Andrew - November 30th, a bit after the referendum so probably ignored!!

BTW St George's is Wednesday, April 23rd.

Are you listening to The Choir at the mo? From Wrexham [are you there Ams?] - it's in Wales

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

But one might think to ask what is a "Welsh composer"? What does it mean to be a "Welsh composer"? Is Richard Barrett a "Welsh composer" and is that ststus the same for him as for Jones, Hoddinott, Walters, Mathias, Williams et al? He is, of course, a composer and he is Welsh, but I cannot help but be reminded of my own compatriot Thea Musgrave's remark about being a woman and a composer but rarely at the same time - so perhaps he might put us right on this.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    But one might think to ask what is a "Welsh composer"? What does it mean to be a "Welsh composer"? Is Richard Barrett a "Welsh composer" and is that ststus the same for him as for Jones, Hoddinott, Walters, Mathias, Williams et al? He is, of course, a composer and he is Welsh, but I cannot help but be reminded of my own compatriot Thea Musgrave's remark about being a woman and a composer but rarely at the same time - so perhaps he might put us right on this.
                    Me and my mate had this discussion about black cabbies, the other day.

Comment

• Gordon
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                      Me and my mate had this discussion about black cabbies, the other day.
                      So how did you fare then BO? Hard to find one at night I find, specially South of the river.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Whingeing Welsh - how did they get that reputation?

Radio 3 broadcasts a daily six-hour programme in honour of the Welsh song Ar hyd y nos

Ar Hyd y Nos (All Through the Night) is my favorite song, and this is my favorite recording of that song if I were ever to say there was one.I did not make t...

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                          Whingeing Welsh - how did they get that reputation?

Radio 3 broadcasts a daily six-hour programme in honour of the Welsh song Ar hyd y nos
                          And with a nightly theme tune by that famous Welshman Dewi Milhaud! Or have they changed it recently?
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

yesterday's breakfast programme was largely Welsh composers and/or performers

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              And then there's the case of Lancastrian composer Ronald Stevenson who wishes to be regarded as a Scot.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                And then there's the case of Lancastrian composer Ronald Stevenson who wishes to be regarded as a Scot.
                                But that's because he is "Lancastrian" only by virtue of having been born in Lancashire; his father was a Scot and his mother Welsh, so it seems reasonable that he wishes to be regarded as a Scot although perhaps it would be better were he to wish to be regarded as being of mixed Scottish and Welsh parentage. By coincidence, a black burn flows not far from his home in the Pentlands for the past six decades or so...

Comment

Working...
                                X