X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon
    • Nov 2010

Wot, no Welsh!

Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus i pawb!! [Happy St David's Day for the immigrants lately arrived from across the sea].

Pleased to hear a bit of something by a Welsh composer at around 8 this morning - Arwel Hughes' Dewi Sant [St David] conducted by the composer's son [Chandos CD from yonks ago] but in b****y English!! Not a great piece but pleasant and well crafted enough. It was often performed when there was a March 1st celebration on the BBC. No longer the case except in the Principality.

Chandos Records is one of the world's premiere classical record companies, focusing on superb quality musical recordings.

There are some Welsh composers of sufficient standing to deserve at least a feature eg this afternoon instead of an American theme. But no.

I supposed that Iestyn Davies was Welsh, but NO he's from York so what's he doing in Yorkshire with a namby name like that! Turns out his Dad is Ioan [another Welsh name a variant of John, but no detail of where born] who was cellist in the Fitzwilliam Qtt for a while.

There is another bit about WNO in MM, so that is it. Blydi Sais. Wait till next Sunday though.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
    Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus i pawb!! [Happy St David's Day for the immigrants lately arrived from across the sea].
    ??? Surely "Bliain úr faoi shéan is faoi mhaise dóibh"?

Some Music by my favourite Welsh composer of sufficient standing:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Radio Wales (online/digital/fm/mw) is broadcasting tonight's traditional St David's Day Gala concert live from St David's Hall, Cardiff at 7.00pm. BBC NOW (& Chorus) with massed youth choirs. Including Paul Mealor Celtic Prayers world premiere. Perhaps you (like me) have missed the trails for this on Radio 3? Or perhaps you ignored the advice of another forum poster on a Trails thread: "Why trails? Most people can read!"

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Some Music by my favourite Welsh composer of sufficient standing:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74bKpSaFqo8
        Fine, but it's in English, innit?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Gordon View Post

Pleased to hear a bit of something by a Welsh composer at around 8 this morning - Arwel Hughes' Dewi Sant [St David] conducted by the composer's son [Chandos CD from yonks ago] but in b****y English!! Not a great piece but pleasant and well crafted enough. It was often performed when there was a March 1st celebration on the BBC. No longer the case except in the Principality.

Chandos Records is one of the world's premiere classical record companies, focusing on superb quality musical recordings.

There are some Welsh composers of sufficient standing to deserve at least a feature eg this afternoon instead of an American theme. But no.

I supposed that Iestyn Davies was Welsh, but NO he's from York so what's he doing in Yorkshire with a namby name like that! Turns out his Dad is Ioan [another Welsh name a variant of John, but no detail of where born] who was cellist in the Fitzwilliam Qtt for a while.

There is another bit about WNO in MM, so that is it. Blydi Sais. Wait till next Sunday though.
          Beautiful summary Gordon. Iechyd da bob Cymru, *** dyn bob Sais

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Fine, but it's in English, innit?
            "Flechtwerke"?? (Well - a very old English, I grant you! )

Originally posted by ami
            Iechyd da bob Cymru, *** dyn bob Sais
            I think we've reached the bottom of the tone of the discussion here!

Comment

• amateur51

I think we've reached the bottom of the tone of the discussion here!
              Surely not - there's rugby involved PLUS the broadcast concert is inevitably from Caerdydd, innit

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

I was referring to the written instructions in the score, as displayed in the YouTube video.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                  Radio Wales (online/digital/fm/mw) is broadcasting tonight's traditional St David's Day Gala concert live from St David's Hall, Cardiff at 7.00pm. BBC NOW (& Chorus) with massed youth choirs. Including Paul Mealor Celtic Prayers world premiere. Perhaps you (like me) have missed the trails for this on Radio 3? Or perhaps you ignored the advice of another forum poster on a Trails thread: "Why trails? Most people can read!"
                  I took it that the point was that a celebration of Welsh music might have been good, somewhere on R3, not just some trails for a Welsh celebration being aired over on Radio Wales. A good chance that the concert would have been broadcast on Radio 3 if it had been on a weekday, I suppose.

And one must be fair - the Celts do get a look in tonight with a play about Ireland.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I took it that the point was that a celebration of Welsh music might have been good, somewhere on R3, not just some trails for a Welsh celebration being aired over on Radio Wales. A good chance that the concert would have been broadcast on Radio 3 if it had been on a weekday, I suppose.

And one must be fair - the Celts do get a look in tonight with a play about Ireland.
                    Why is it that I can't find my forelock when it needs tugging?

Comment

• Gordon
                      • Nov 2010

Yes, FF that was so!! It is possible I suppose that it'll turn up later. As to knowing about the concert from Cardiff, #3 above, yes I knew from following the schedules for Radios Wales [English, the service that will carry the concert and doubtless the language of the Mealor piece] and Cymru [Welsh, to which I listen regularly] hence my comment that celebration will only be "in the Principality".

As for reading the trails thread, I didn't read any of it!

Hmm!! Gaelic eh! Nadolig llawen a blwyddyn newydd dda i ti hefyd! I'm sure a few Irishmen may have chanced their famed luck to cross the other sea over the years too. Ní leor teanga amháin.
                      Last edited by Gordon; 01-03-14, 15:04.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        I was referring to the written instructions in the score, as displayed in the YouTube video.
                        I know! I just couldn't resist the Anglo-Saxon humour. Especially after my boob with the Gaelic Bliain úr faoi shéan is faoi mhaise dóibh, which is "Happy New Year", rather than "Happy Saint David's Day". "lá sona naomh david ar" saith Google?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Having been to a Welsh university, I have gradually come to the view that outside Wales, few are aware of how much fine music is in that country and deserves to be heard more of. At the same time, there is a view inside the country that it's music is greater than it really is.

I don't know how the Welsh musical culture is flourishing nowadays, but a couple of decades ago, the standard of singing in its schools put England to shame.

Comment

• Gordon
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            Having been to a Welsh university, I have gradually come to the view that outside Wales, few are aware of how much fine music is in that country and deserves to be heard more of. At the same time, there is a view inside the country that it's music is greater than it really is.

I don't know how the Welsh musical culture is flourishing nowadays, but a couple of decades ago, the standard of singing in its schools put England to shame.
                            Modern popular music thrives in Wales in the vernacular too but I don't know about anything more serious. Sadly the other great tradition in Wales - hymn singing in chapels an churches - has declined along with attendances. As a child I was taken to church and chapel and still remember the hairs on the neck when a good hwyl got going leading to repeated final chorusses. A valuable record of that tradition can be heard on 2 Delyse LPs [not issued on CD probably because the sources are lost] from 1963 and 1965 recorded, not in Wales, but in the Rioyal Albert Hall. All the great hymns are there and no other recordings of them I know can compete.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Welsh singing? Watch this, nuff said.....

Comment

Working...
                              X