X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Wright
    • Mar 2007

Pronunciation of musicians' names

This subject came up on another forum. I've always said Raymond Leppard with same emphasis on both syllables like leopard, and I think R3 always have too?

Eric Siday. I've always said SI-day on my podcasts but Americans say Si-DAY maybe he let it change when he went to live in USA?

Leonard Bernstein. Some say Bern some say Burn, some say styne, some say steen, some say who cares?

These discussions brought up a few links from my US colleagues, I haven't checked them all yet but thought members here would be interested, and consider where R3 gets it's guidance from.

Where are the good UK sites for names' pronunciation?

For now, on pronunciation of 'public names', here are a few links from USA:

PronounceNames.com - Pronunciation guide for the name of people and places. Find, submit and requests pronunciations
    - - -

John W
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by John Wright View Post
    Leonard Bernstein. Some say Bern some say Burn, some say styne, some say steen, some say who cares?
    Isn't 'steen' the USA pronounciation, & 'styne' the British/European?

(In the film 'Young Frankestein' I think the titular character - from the USA - insisted his name be pronounced 'shteen' - but that might have been because he was anxious to distinguish himself from his ancestor )

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Plain old Bach is one that causes problems! 'Bark' is clearly uncivilised, so most English musicians settle for 'Barch' (the 'ch' being of the Germanic palatal variety). To say it the German way, with a short 'a' just makes one sound...well...affected. The Americans don't mind though, so while they'd call a firm of U.S. lawyers Wag-ner and Burn-steen, they try quite hard with composers, writers and painters

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        (In the film 'Young Frankestein' I think the titular character - from the USA - insisted his name be pronounced 'shteen'
        I'd have said either shtein or steen, not a combination of the two.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Well, it is a comedy

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

What;s the distinction between 'Vich' and 'Vitch' ?

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Does the T make the ch harder? (think of the sound usually written as 'tch')

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                What;s the distinction between 'Vich' and 'Vitch' ?
                Probably none. It's a transliteration of a non-English name in the (presumably) Cyrillic alphabet. In such circumstances there will always be different interpretations of sounds that English perhaps can't cope with anyway.

A good analogy are place names containing the Old English (ie: Anglo-Saxon) burℨ - a fortified town. The letter yogh (ℨ) was a guttural that's almost disappeared from English, except in Scotland (where several features of AS pronunciation remain). Presumably the Normans couldn't handle it, so burℨ became variously bury, borough, brough, burgh and burg (even perhaps -by, by confusion with the Norse suffix, which means something different).

What might happen, though, is that differently spelt transliterations may pick up different pronunciations over time - a sort of rationalisation of the differences. This might explain the difference that Flossie talks of in the previous post.

Anyway - do we know how Bernstein himself pronounced his name?

Comment

• kea
                  • Dec 2013

I've always wondered about some of the Scandinavians—Vagn Holmboe, Per Nørgård, Einojuhani Rautavaara, Kaija Saariaho, Hilding Rosenberg et al. Not knowing the languages in question I'm sort of lost. Some of the Russians are similar due to weird vowels: Roslavets, Scriabin, Rachmaninov, etc.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

easy answers to all of this.............

send a tweet into Katie and ask.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                      Probably none. It's a transliteration of a non-English name in the (presumably) Cyrillic alphabet. In such circumstances there will always be different interpretations of sounds that English perhaps can't cope with anyway.

A good analogy are place names containing the Old English (ie: Anglo-Saxon) burℨ - a fortified town. The letter yogh (ℨ) was a guttural that's almost disappeared from English, except in Scotland (where several features of AS pronunciation remain). Presumably the Normans couldn't handle it, so burℨ became variously bury, borough, brough, burgh and burg (even perhaps -by, by confusion with the Norse suffix, which means something different).

What might happen, though, is that differently spelt transliterations may pick up different pronunciations over time - a sort of rationalisation of the differences. This might explain the difference that Flossie talks of in the previous post.

perhaps we should raise a Stein to the author for sorting that out.
                      er, if he really did , of course.......
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                        According to Humphrey Burton's biography of Bernstein: "There are several towns and villages named Bernstein in Germany and Austria (where the pronunciation is BernSTINE), but Bernstein's parents came from Jewish ghettos in NW Ukraine, where the last syllable is usually pronounced BernSHTAYN or STEEN. Sam (Leonard's father) insisted, however, on the mid-European style employed by the earlier immigrants."

Comment

• Pabmusic
                          • May 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          http://articles.philly.com/2010-02-1...bernstein-icon

Whatever... I'll raise a stein anyway.

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

I wouldn't pronounce Leppard in the way that I pronounce leopard, but perhaps I'm pronouncing leopard incorrectly [leppud]

how do we pronounce that road in Brighton called Old Steine ? (or is Bernstein nothing to do with that ? )
                            Last edited by mercia; 28-02-14, 09:27.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              http://articles.philly.com/2010-02-1...bernstein-icon

"I just know some public figure named Smith would start pronouncing his last name Smythe"

Hmmm - isn't that pronounced 'smith' anyway?

How did Dame Ethel pronounce her name - which didn't have an 'e' on the end?

Comment

Working...
                              X