Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stillhomewardbound
    • Nov 2010

Thank you, Richard. I listened to that. Aside from the timely sentiments it was a reminder of how much can be said in a short time. My brother's eulogy which I shall give tomorrow is just three minutes long but I've been able to say a lot in that time. Just as well, as my brother did not suffer fools gladly and I won't have to worry too much about hearing his muted voice from the coffin complaining, 'Oh, do get on. C'mon!! Yesss ... yesss. Oh dear, is there much more of this!!'

Comment

• Padraig
      • Feb 2013

Ní maith liom do bhris, a Stíofán. I'm sorry for your trouble, Stephen.
      Ar dhéis Dé go raibh anam Cillian. May Killian's spirit rest in peace.

Comment

• Flay
        • Mar 2007

Stephen, somewhat belatedly could I also add my condolences and I hope the services went as wall as can be expected.

Your post was somewhat fortuitous for me (if one can say that). We had just lost a brother-in-law (the third in four years on my wife's side). I had been asked to say something at his funeral a week ago, and the support and suggestions from others here was a great help to me.

Thanks in particular to Dave 2002 for the web reference in message #7. I found a short poem there that fitted perfectly with what I was to say about him (Not, How Did He Die, But How Did He Live?)

Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Flay

No problem. I'm glad that my post was of some use at a difficult time.

I was very affected earlier this year when my best friend died. From Boxing Day to early January he was ill - from being well, then died. Almost the same age as me (he was older, just), and exactly the same age as Mrs D.

Opportunities to go to funerals seem to be increasing these days. The most recent one was this week.
          I prefer not to go unless I know the deceased person or the family very well.

My sympathies go out to anyone who has faced this recently, and to you and shb in particular.

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            My sympathies go out to anyone who has faced this recently, and to you and shb in particular.
            Thanks, Dave. I am sorry to hear about your friend.
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
              • Nov 2010

Once again, a chance for me to say how grateful I am for the support and the wishes of condolences received here in regard to my brother's passing.

I just returned from Ireland where we had the interment of the ashes in my parents' grave, then I was able to take two days of a break in Dublin where the weather was simply divine. During that time my sister and I were able to make a pilgrimage to Dalkey on the outskirts of Dublin. It's where Shaw grew up and stands high above the bay with spectacular views over to the Wicklow mountains and the splendid beach of Killiney below.

This was where our father loved to take us when we were his wild sons; and thinking of my own obsequies I wouldn't mind if my ashes were scattered to the wind at the same location.

Overall, everything went off very well and in London it was great to see that my brother's friend's from his RADA days had turned out in such good number.

The only disappointment, though I'll get over it I'm sure, was in Ireland where the church has deemed that eulogies cannot be part of a requiem mass. I had also wished to sing 'Oft In The Stilly Night' which was a song different generations of my family have sung ever since it was published. Once again, I was up against the church. Best not, I was told. Not part of the liturgy, you see.

Anyway, that's all just detail and what was important was that we put our brother to rest with the small degree of reverence he deserved. However, please, no more funerals for a good few years!

The view from Dalkey Hill looking due south across to County Wicklow.

Comment

Working...
              X