X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    Very much an adagio run though when the proper tempo is allegro vivace .

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

David Murdoch Rocks!!!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Can't make my mind up as to who is the most sneaky!

Comment

• Crowcatcher

Winter Olympics

Having enjoyed watching some of the Winter Olypics sports, I decided to watch some (most) of the Closing Ceremony and was impressed with what was offered, including some very listenable musical accompaniement.

It emphasised just how bad the "celebrity fest" of London's closing ceremony efforts were, sadly reflecting how complete Britain's cultural decline has become in the last 20 years, reflected on to the decline in standards of our (one time) beloved R3.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

No we don't
            We love the CE twitter fest
            and look forward to tweeting about our favourite Scarlatti sonata

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

I only drifted in and out of it, but I thought the Sochi closing ceremony a bit stiff and stuffy, bit of a Russian musical cliche collection, only coming to life with S.Korea's dancing Cranes...

The London Closing ceremony was a great, boogieworthy chartpop-fest, and I cried a bit when those lovely petal-flames were extinguished to a quiet chorus... I loved it all, but I had had rather a lot to drink...
              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 25-02-14, 21:49.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

JLW following in a fine tradition.
                Here Sir Rowley Birkin recalls the closing ceremony at the Cairo winter olympics of 1947

or something

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Don Petter

Are you sure that isn't a young Les Patterson?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Crowcatcher View Post
                    Having enjoyed watching some of the Winter Olypics sports, I decided to watch some (most) of the Closing Ceremony and was impressed with what was offered, including some very listenable musical accompaniement.

It emphasised just how bad the "celebrity fest" of London's closing ceremony efforts were, sadly reflecting how complete Britain's cultural decline has become in the last 20 years, reflected on to the decline in standards of our (one time) beloved R3.

Does anyone else feel the same?
                    I thought the closing ceremony was very good. Over the last 20 years or so, these things have become so over the top.

I fear that the New Year's fireworks displays from around the world are turning into an empty show-off competition.

Well done the Russians!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                      I thought the closing ceremony was very good. Over the last 20 years or so, these things have become so over the top.

I fear that the New Year's fireworks displays from around the world are turning into an empty show-off competition.

Well done the Russians!
                      Yes much better than the toe-curlingly embarrassing London closing (sorry jayne - I admit I didn't watch all the London one - I couldn't: it seemed like all the ideas Danny Boyle had scrunched up and thrown in the bin when preparing his magnificent opening ceremony, had been retrieved and used with a high-camp sheen to try and hide their weakness)
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Watched this again to put me in a really positive mood for the day!!!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

I'm not great on Winter sports - leaves me cold mostly... and I don't like Ice Hockey among others. I mean, it's OK for 10 minutes and then you realise that the next ten minutes is the same as the previous 10.
                          So imagine my surprise when I was sooked into the women's gold medal final, USA v Canada. Don't think I'd seen women's ice hockey before. The USA went 2-0 up and the defending champs looked down and out - then the Canadians got a goal from a deflection with about three minutes to go and then it was just attack, attack, attack - with two minutes to go they took their goalie off and put on a forward - one of the Americans got their stick to the puck from their own half and the puck sailed up towards the empty net, and amazingly hit the post and stayed out. Back to attack, attack, attack and the Canadians score their equaliser with a minute or so to go. Extra time and it's end to end and the Canadians eventually get the Golden Goal. Unbelievable joy on the faces of the Canadians - unbelievable devastation on the faces of the U.S. The medal presentation was one of the most incredible that I've seen - you could see that the Americans wanted to be absolutely anywhere else - utterly brilliant entertainment. Might try that again.
                          Last edited by johncorrigan; 27-02-14, 12:28. Reason: too many gots really!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                            I'm not great on Winter sports - leaves me cold mostly...
                            Nicely slipped in, jc
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                            X