• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

A Musical Photo - Session

War over. Now for civvy street. Attached myself by contract, as his personal assistant for 3 years, 1946 - 48, to John Vickers, No.1 in theatre photography in London & who had sole rights to all Old Vic Theatre Co. productions, a time when they were at their height. I lived in the theatre for most of that time & got drunk on the spoken word, especially Shakespeare. My cheeks were wet throughout much of King Lear with Olivier as Lear, Ralph Richardson as Gloucester & The Fool played by Alec Guinness.

However, sometimes, although rarely, there is need to photograph people other than actors. So, on this special day we head towards Hampstead Heath, where, nearby lives a pianist of great repute. We are warmly welcomed. I set up & position as much as I can & leave all else to my 'master'. I look round & am overcome, pianos & harpsichords, about 6 or 7. Vast rooms leading from one into another. The piano & pianist are now the objects of attention for photographs by JV. I approach a harpsichord, never having been so close before - what an incredibly beautiful, ornate & complex creature. The wife of the pianist takes me on a ' guided tour, these are her instruments, although she no longer plays in public. From time to time we were allowed to 'disrupt' the piano session & have one of our own.

I learned more later. She was originally from the U.S.A., her maiden name, Lucille Wallace. She studied in Vienna & at the Sorbonne. She also spent much time in study with Schnabel, Wanda Landowska & Nadia Boulanger. Ralph Kirkpatrick referred to her as " the most interesting & intelligent of his pupils." Ultimately, personal problems caused her to cease almost all public appearances. A great pity. However, the BBC 3rd. Programme opened on Sept. 29th.1946, it's first day of broadcasting & which resulted in her being invited, that evening, to perform Bach's Goldberg Variations.

Throughout her marriage she remained utterly devoted to her husband & his career.

They made a very close & loving pair & in spite of many awards & distinctions were very happy to be known quite simply as Mr. & Mrs. Clifford Curzon.
    Last edited by gamba; 13-02-14, 08:42.
  • ostuni
    • Nov 2010

Lovely story!

Comment

• gamba
      Late member
      • Dec 2010

Thank you, ostuni.

gamba

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gamba View Post
        Thank you, ostuni.

gamba
        How did I miss this beautifully-told story last week?!

Thank you for another gem, gamba

How did CC himself come across?
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
          Lovely story!

Aside from those covetable recollections of the Curzons, to have memories of Olivier, Gielgud and Guiness in Lear has a price beyond rubies. Many thanks, gamba.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gamba
            Late member
            • Dec 2010

Alas, no, not Gielgud, 'twas Ralph Richardson, he who had his eyes plucked out - a right nasty business , although carried out with discretion & the best possible taste.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Alas, no, not Gielgud, 'twas Ralph Richardson,
              Oops, my error! (Does not affect the price tag, in my book )

he who had his eyes plucked out - a right nasty business , although carried out with discretion & the best possible taste.

IIRC, Judy Dench once remembered playing in a particularly gory production of Lear, in which several boiled eggs were required to be flung across the stage. All very gripping - save that on one matinee performance, the stage hands hadn't been as conscientious as was their wont, and the whole first scene was watched by watched by one such egg, still stuck to the wall from the previous night's performance!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gamba
                Late member
                • Dec 2010

ferney,

How gruesome !

I once heard one of our BBC producers boasting of ' having been there ' & they used grapes as his eyes - absolute nonsense !

If I remember rightly it was more ' off stage ' than on. We had either ' Larry ' ( a word you did not use ! ) or Tyrone Guthrie for most productions. They were masters of
                every aspect of stagecraft & remarkable to watch & listen to.

Comment

• gamba
                  Late member
                  • Dec 2010

[QUOTE=Caliban;377880][COLOR="#0000FF"]How did I miss this beautifully-told story last week?!

Thank you for another gem, gamba

How did CC himself come across?

Caliban,

I asked if I might hear him play something which I already had on a record, a fragment from the slow movement of the Trout quintet . His performance of this work was widely regarded as being without comparison. I watched from nearby. His fingers barely touched the keys, he just stroked them. I listened intently but soon had to fight back tears. He must have noticed. After several minutes he stopped at an appropriate point, got up from the piano, came towards me, squeezed my shoulder & said, " I'm glad to see it still works ."

There are various interpretations to be associated with this remark - I'm sure he meant the power of music.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Caliban,

I asked if I might hear him play something which I already had on a record, a fragment from the slow movement of the Trout quintet . His performance of this work was widely regarded as being without comparison. I watched from nearby. His fingers barely touched the keys, he just stroked them. I listened intently but soon had to fight back tears. He must have noticed. After several minutes he stopped at an appropriate point, got up from the piano, came towards me, squeezed my shoulder & said, " I'm glad to see it still works ."

There are various interpretations to be associated with this remark - I'm sure he meant the power of music.

I'm sure he did. What a moment!

We're in your debt for sharing these recollections!

Comment

• gamba
                      Late member
                      • Dec 2010

Caliban,

I'm in your debt. I have a great many things wrong with me physically & don't expect,to last long. I'm extremely grateful for like - minded people to talk to, most especially music lovers. Most of my life has been spent making documentary films, the subject matter could be anything, so, I encountered anyone & everything. It was always interesting & I was usually wise enough to learn. To always remember Clifford Curzon's remark & behaviour was important & it will not be forgotten. That taught me something about the man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Just lovely stuff.

Thanks Gamba.

Sharing music, in whatever way, is a powerful thing.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Terrific story! Not just the power of music but to have one of the world's great pianists play something for you personally is truly something to treasure.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                            X