• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

The Most Beautiful of National Anthems

-also the most sad.

This short film ' gets to me ,' as my heavy metal guitar playing son would say. This is music for everyone & always brings tears to my eyes. I visited the country , from what was Southern Rhodesia ( now Zimbabwe, ) many times during the war. They deserve better, but who is going to give it to them.
    If it didn't happen under Mandela, then how, when & with whom ?

Interestingly, the anthem is in two parts, one follows another.

Google;

N'Kosi Sikeleli ( Miriam Makeba, Ladysmith Black Mambazo )

I keep it on my ' favourites ' list in order ' to remember .'

gamba
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

My father was in S Africa during WW2, convalescing from polio which he had contracted while in "Persia", working on the Anglo-Iranian oil refinery. He always claimed to be looking forward to the ending of apartheid so that he could start buying the fine wines of that country!

If I had a favourite national anthem, I think it would have to be Stockhausen's cut-up of "Deutschland Uber Alles", a short way into Region II of "Hymnen".

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

My late father was in the RAF during the Second World War and spent quite a bit of time in Rhodesia and South Africa. Rummaging through his photographs following his death last November it's clear that he had an interesting time, certainly with a better life expectancy than the lads flying over Germany. He was in the same squadron as Tony Benn (though TB came in later).

I know there are those who pronounce our own National Anthem to be a dirge but it really is a splendid tune, the Benjamin Britten arrangement making the most of it.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        I know there are those who pronounce our own National Anthem to be a dirge but it really is a splendid tune,
        I prefer the Liechtenstein National Anthem Pet.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          My late father was in the RAF during the Second World War and spent quite a bit of time in Rhodesia and South Africa. Rummaging through his photographs following his death last November it's clear that he had an interesting time, certainly with a better life expectancy than the lads flying over Germany. He was in the same squadron as Tony Benn (though TB came in later).

I know there are those who pronounce our own National Anthem to be a dirge but it really is a splendid tune, the Benjamin Britten arrangement making the most of it.
          What nation is that then?

Comment

Working...
          X