Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    The fashion for sending celebs to look at wildlife may be recent, Throppers, but expert on-screen presenters are as old as wildlife broadcasting itself - Cousteau, Hans and Lotte Haas, Armand and Micaela Denis, Attenborough himself....voice-overs in wildlife broadcasting on the other hand are often by actors reading a script, usually Stephen Fry , with no particular understanding of what they're reading out. On-screen presenters are always going to be a matter of taste, Sister Wendy remains a mystery to me . I think Waldemar, A G-D etc are part of a great tradition going back to Kenneth Clark and possibly beyond......
    And a noteless autocueless A.J.P. Taylor lecturing direct-to-camera, bow tie and all, utterly remarkable
    Last edited by Guest; 29-01-14, 11:15. Reason: release the smiley

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      A fascinating comparison!

WJ doesn't even attempt the historical/political background, as Clark does, and from the outset Clark makes music central to the period - though that involves labelling JS Bach as unequivocally Rococo, which I still resist.

Definitely worth watching. (And though we see Clark's face quite a lot, he doesn't walk anywhere. Or sprawl.)

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        The fashion for sending celebs to look at wildlife may be recent, Throppers, but expert on-screen presenters are as old as wildlife broadcasting itself - Cousteau, Hans and Lotte Haas, Armand and Micaela Denis, Attenborough himself....voice-overs in wildlife broadcasting on the other hand are often by actors reading a script, usually Stephen Fry , with no particular understanding of what they're reading out. On-screen presenters are always going to be a matter of taste, Sister Wendy remains a mystery to me . I think Waldemar, A G-D etc are part of a great tradition going back to Kenneth Clark and possibly beyond......
        I have no problems with experts and pedagogues who know how to explain opaque ideas in an engaging, general way without patronising their audience. We don't get that, even from the soi-disant experts today. We get mouths agog and constantly reminded about how magnificent, overwhelming, splendid, etc., etc., an edifice is. The worst I saw recently was on BBC 4 about pilgrimage sites in the UK. It was utterly banal, the presenter confusing his audience with that of Blue Peter. I learned more in five minutes from Wikipedia.

Jonathan Meades is a pleasant exception but also sui generis.
        Last edited by Thropplenoggin; 29-01-14, 10:53.
        It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Thanks! I tried looking him up but I'd got his middle name wrong.

[ did you follow that long explanation about the coded punctuation in the name Sans, Souci. ? ]
          You mean that the virgula (comma) after the sans on the facade, which also means little rod, refers to Frederick's penis, rendered useless in the course of a homosexual encounter?

I got rather lost during the subsequent explanation of the point (full stop) after souci, and failed to understand whether Frederick's impotence was a cause for concern to him or not.

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
            You mean that the virgula (comma) after the sans on the facade, which also means little rod, refers to Frederick's penis, rendered useless in the course of a homosexual encounter?

I got rather lost during the subsequent explanation of the point (full stop) after souci, and failed to understand whether Frederick's impotence was a cause for concern to him or not.
            ah well you understood more than I did
            I couldn't decide if WJ was putting this forward as fact or conjecture

I shall have to watch again, I think I fell asleep when WJ was talking about the Virgin Mary appearing to some 14th century Cambridge scholar who was then made into a saint, not sure who that was .....

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I can help you there - it was St Simon Stock.

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

As Clark takes us through the church of the Vierzehn Heiligen, we hear the first chorus from Bach's Christmas Oratorio - Happiness, see? Just like the Declaration of Independence, as Waldemar said (but without the Bach).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                  The worst I saw recently was on BBC 4 about pilgrimage sites in the UK. It was utterly banal, the presenter confusing his audience with that of Blue Peter. I learned more in five minutes from Wikipedia.
                  I don't quite share your dismissal of all the "soi-disant experts today", but totally agree with your assessment of this appalling production: a dire-ama!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    I don't quite share your dismissal of all the "soi-disant experts today", but totally agree with your assessment of this appalling production: a dire-ama!
                    Re the pilgrim programme, it was a disaster with Simon Reeve, but to be honest I was rather surprised to see how bad he was. I can only assume that his producer and researcher were to blame

His two recent programmes following tea and coffee production were good, especially the programme about the Vietnamese coffee industry. Most of us are unaware that almost all the beans used to make instant coffee come from there. Reeve managed to summarise recent developments in a country which we seem to have forgotten about, managing to cover a lot of interesting ground in an hour.

As for Dan Cruikshank, he sets my teeth on edge. He is a very knowledgeable man, and his books on history and architecture are excellent, but oh dear ! ( As he well might whisper )

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                      I can help you there - it was St Simon Stock.
                      ah yes, thanks

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Wasn't Kenneth Clark wonderful? He got The American Declaration, Love and Happiness into the first minute. It must be a generational thing...either people can't listen to anyone explaining anything any more, or producers think they can't.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                          Wasn't Kenneth Clark wonderful? He got The American Declaration, Love and Happiness into the first minute. It must be a generational thing...either people can't listen to anyone explaining anything any more, or producers think they can't.
                          He got a lot of stick from John Berger, in Ways of Seeing, from what I remember...

There was some American woman brought onto Toady this morning, giving her views on Rococo music. Asked, she said the difference between it, as epitomiosed by CPE Bach, and Baroque as ditto his dad, was that Rococo music dealt with more than one emotion in a piece. This limited and somewhat conjectural opinion went unchallenged, natch.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Asked, she said the difference between it, as epitomiosed by CPE Bach, and Baroque as ditto his dad, was that Rococo music dealt with more than one emotion in a piece. This limited and somewhat conjectural opinion went unchallenged, natch.
                            I thought rococo was feminine baroque, and baroque was masculine rococo. Not sure that's that's a lot more helpful as regards music. Or anything, really.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              I thought rococo was feminine baroque, and baroque was masculine rococo. Not sure that's that's a lot more helpful as regards music. Or anything, really.
                              I've only used the term Rococo when it comes to architecture, porcelain, etc., but I think it's definitely feminine, far more elaborate, intricate, lots of twiddly bits, like Rameau. (confess haven't caught up with the programme yet!)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

I had always associated the Rococo with the Stile galante - the period between Bach and Haydn: the time when Bach's sons and the Mannheim school were working as somebody mentioned earlier. Can't comment on its gender specificity.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X