X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
    Mahler 4 Lucerne Festival Orchestra, Abbado, Kozena.

This Blue-Ray gets really bad reviews from the River People. Do any boarders have it? It is the only one of the series I don't have. I am not sure if the bad reviews were for early editions. Please advise. I like many others are really disappointed Abbado did not complete this excellent series with Symphony 8.
    It doesn't quite heights of the best in this series but it's still very good

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Yes a shame Radio 3 did not give us more notice .

Indeed, when Martha Argerich appeared in Manchester last summer with the Camerata for the Festival there was a reminder in the programme note that she had last appeared there with Abbado and the Halle in the 1960s .

Which links to a very good review for the Argerich/Abbado Mozart new release in the Times today .

I rather like his Mahler 4 with Fleming which some suggested she was too matronly for . I should like to see a release of that Das Lied von der Erde that was on Sky Arts from a couple of years back with Von Otter and Kaufmann .

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
        Did I hear it right? Was that the last music he ever conducted? If so then could anyone wish to end their career more poignantly?
        Yes... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...of-an-era.html

Just listened to the Bruckner....

"...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

It's very good that Radio 3 has re-broadcast these valedictory performances so soon after their Christmas outing, though the rationale is much regretted. I do hope they also find space for the Eroica too. Such a fitting tribute to the great man that would be.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Nertherlands Radio 4 are streaming the performance of Mahler 9 that Abbado and the BPO gave at the 1995 Mahler Festival http://concerthuis.radio4.nl/concert...ado?work=17061

I was present at their performance in London a few days later.

Any similar tributes elsewhere on the internet?
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              I should like to see a release of that Das Lied von der Erde that was on Sky Arts from a couple of years back with Von Otter and Kaufmann .
              I have just watched this again, this very afternoon - stored on my satellite box hard drive for as long as it lasts. A staggering performance - Kaufmann heroic, von Otter profoundly moving, and the playing of the BPO beyond compare. "It is an ape" absolutely terrifying. The lovely flicker of a smile on Abbado's face as Kaufmann returns to his seat for the last time.....and a long silence at the end. I listened to the two unfinisheds yesterday.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Is there any hope that this Das Lied performance will appear on CD or DVD? I know it's on the BPO Digital Concert Hall site but I'd really like it on CD.

Comment

• Roehre

A great loss.
                  I happened to be just out of hospital after six nights following breaking a leg -no, not a skiing-accident- the moment the news broke.
                  I was much impressed by the way the Swiss and German TV-stations did announce and paid attention to Abbado.
                  In both the equivalents of the BBC 1 one and six o'clocks news bulletins both SRF 1 (Swiss) as well as ARD, ZDF and RBB (German) paid attention to his passing away with nearly 5 minutes items, and at least RBB and SRF 1 did broadcast impressive documentaries.

Last Monday Haitink conducted the Zürich Tonhalle in Mahler 9. That concert (which I was able to attend, thank goodness) was dedicated to the memory of his dear friend Claudio. A very, very moving experience I must say.
                  I also was able to attend last Wednesday's repeat performance, which was equally moving.

I strongly recall a Abbado/Concertgebouworkest performance of Bruckner's 3 orchestral pieces followed by the Romantic symphony in the summer of 1974 - my first live performance of both Bruckner and Abbado.

RIP

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                    A great loss.
                    I happened to be just out of hospital after six nights following breaking a leg -no, not a skiing-accident- the moment the news broke.
                    I was much impressed by the way the Swiss and German TV-stations did announce and paid attention to Abbado.
                    In both the equivalents of the BBC 1 one and six o'clocks news bulletins both SRF 1 (Swiss) as well as ARD, ZDF and RBB (German) paid attention to his passing away with nearly 5 minutes items, and at least RBB and SRF 1 did broadcast impressive documentaries.

Last Monday Haitink conducted the Zürich Tonhalle in Mahler 9. That concert (which I was able to attend, thank goodness) was dedicated to the memory of his dear friend Claudio. A very, very moving experience I must say.
                    I also was able to attend last Wednesday's repeat performance, which was equally moving.

I strongly recall a Abbado/Concertgebouworkest performance of Bruckner's 3 orchestral pieces followed by the Romantic symphony in the summer of 1974 - my first live performance of both Bruckner and Abbado.

RIP
                    Very sorry to hear about your injury Roehre and glad to hear that you're on the road to recovery.

Unfortunate circumstances I grant you but to listen to Haitink conducting Mahler symphony no.9 must have been remarkable - many thanks for the report.

I trust that you'll make a speedy recovery

Comment

• remdataram
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                      The BBC tend to ignore anything or anyone European in favour of America. We can only hope that the BBC4 surprises us all by broadcasting some Abbado 'Gold' in the coming weeks, and that R3 finds room in the schedules to provide a more in depth appreciation.

A great and very sad loss to us all......

Comment

• Prommer
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                        Do we have a link to the RAF M3 please Prommer? I can't seem to find it when searching...?

Thx
                        Sorry, meant that the Lucerne performance is on YouTube, but not the Prom as it was not televised but broadcast as usual. No one has uploaded the audio of the Prom as yet.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
                          Sorry, meant that the Lucerne performance is on YouTube, but not the Prom as it was not televised but broadcast as usual. No one has uploaded the audio of the Prom as yet.
                          Can someone please give the date of that Prom performance. I will then try and find if I have it saved in some format or other.

Comment

• Prommer
                            • Dec 2010

22 August 2007

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Can someone please give the date of that Prom performance. I will then try and find if I have it saved in some format or other.
                              August 22 2007

The world's greatest classical music festival - stunning performances and collaborations.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Coincidentally, I've just been viewing a DVD recording of the Lucerne Festival performance of Mahler 3, given on 19 August 2007, three days before the Proms performance, on the medici arts label. Quite stunning in picture and sound.

Comment

Working...
                                X