• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

A Day to Remember ( 2 ).

Something really frightening suddenly occurred to me. We had no knowledge of what lay beneath us. It was most likely to be the English Channel, which would mean death by drowning as we had no buoyancy equipment of any kind. I had assumed he ( the pilot ) knew where we were but he didn't seem to emit any such assurance. ( to me anyway ) How much in the way of navigational aids had been removed before making this plane available to us was unknown. Several minutes must have passed by giving me more time than I would have liked to consider my fate.

WOW !!! ---- suddenly an explosion of dazzling blue sky occurred all around us. I called out " We're saved " or something somewhat silly like that. The pilot, turning his head back towards me said, in a somewhat deadpan voice, "Just look down below & tell me if you can see about a mile or so of nice smooth concrete."

( This plane requires almost this distance PLUS a drogue to slow down & stop safely ).

There was of course, no such thing. What there was, I believe, was the South Downs, only a few hundred feet below & comprising stone walls, hillocks, trees, rough ground of every kind, flat or sloping & off in all directions. We also had an almost negligible amount of fuel remaining, which with the ground becoming almost a blur as it became closer all the time gave almost no time for a choice of where to put down. We also had to maintain a flying speed of about 200 kph. This allows us to glide - believe it or not ! The fuel tanks suspended from each wing were offloaded - not much else to chuck out. I closed all pipes inside my cockpit. We had to maintain a suitable speed. Too slow & we'd drop a wing & cartwheel, too fast & we'd start to bounce & are likely to disintegrate. An engine cut-out ( flame - out ) & we'd dig a hole for ourselves. I am concious of the pilot having slackened - off undercarriage control, this will help soften fuselage & ground contact on impact as the wheels etc. bed-in to the ground. The pilot has a mass of functions to perform, I help when possible ( although not an everyday 'chore'. ) Ultimately we come to rest, bits hanging off & a trail behind.

Make a rapid exit, putting some distance between ourselves & plane. The pilot has done extremely well. ( couldn't have done much better myself ! ). Grab each other for a brief moment. The pilot then makes for a group of cottages in the distance. I am instructed to remain ' on guard '.

Another opportunity to use the phrase ' shaken not stirred '

I look back at the plane, showing substantial damage & leaking ' here & there.'

I feel sad. It had been quite a beautiful object.

Traffic arrives. Someone with four wheels to return me to the squadron.

Ah Well ! Tomorrow is another day, although unlikely to be 'quite ' so entertaining !!
    Last edited by gamba; 12-01-14, 19:51.
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Great stuff gamba! When was this and what sort of plane?
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• gamba
      Late member
      • Dec 2010

Late 1950s., Hawker Hunter.

Mentioned in part 1 of story.

Best wishes, gamba

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

>>>PT 1: "A marvellous coincidence occurs, one of our Hawker Hunters is due down the coast for a rebuild."

I guess that after this incident the rebuild was rendered unnecessary! Did you rescue the film?

Comment

• gamba
          Late member
          • Dec 2010

The. Camera was strapped to me - was not allowed any free movement.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

What a terrifying story gamba. My question - why had the pilot allowed fuel to get so low? (Was it his fault, or the instruments?) And what terrain did you finally come to rest on?

I had a Hawker Hunter Dinky toy, aged about 7, when the plane would have been fairly new.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

He may have misjudged the fuel gauge, or just wasn't thinking!! Seems rather bad pilot not to make sure that there wasn't enough fuel?

Thank you Gamba, as ever, for, a most entertaining read? Have you flown in any Handley Page aircraft?
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• gamba
                Late member
                • Dec 2010

[QUOTE=Richard Tarleton;369472]What a terrifying story gamba. My question - why had the pilot allowed fuel to get so low? (Was it his fault, or the instruments?) And what terrain did you finally come to rest on?

I had a Hawker Hunter Dinky toy, aged about 7, when the plane would have been fairly new.[/QUOTE

Richard,

I was on a temporary attachment to provide material for a training film. Information relating to the details of the why & how would have been kept fairly ' close to their chests.' After all the weather was fine when we set off. Had it not been for the sudden cloud build up all would have been well. I expect the navy had a ' go ' at him, especially being a civilian. I expect I too was to blame in encouraging him to go that little bit longer. Re. The terrain, I cannot remember it receiving any name other than ' the Downs'.

Comment

• gamba
                  Late member
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                  He may have misjudged the fuel gauge, or just wasn't thinking!! Seems rather bad pilot not to make sure that there wasn't enough fuel?

Thank you Gamba, as ever, for, a most entertaining read? Have you flown in any Handley Page aircraft?
                  Thank you, Brassbandmaestro.

Handley Page, never I'm afraid. A Wellington, almost. I was once promised a short trip. Someone ' borrowed ' my parachute &. Took my place. They never came back. Hit the water, broke it's back. I must be born lucky - except I don't believe in luck,

Best wishes, gamba

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gamba View Post
                    Thank you, Brassbandmaestro.

Handley Page, never I'm afraid. A Wellington, almost. I was once promised a short trip. Someone ' borrowed ' my parachute &. Took my place. They never came back. Hit the water, broke it's back. I must be born lucky - except I don't believe in luck,

Best wishes, gamba

Sir Frederick Handley Page was my third cousin! My grandfather helped FGH out to begin his venture!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• hedgehog

A great read gamba, so exciting. My father worked at De Havilland in Bristol (aeronautical engineer, so not a pilot) in the 1950's so this makes it live for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X