• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Good time to donate unwanted CDs and books to OXFAM

(and maybe pick up some interesting items?)

I referred to this under 'CD Review' but thought it merited a thread on its own.

Oxfam have a campaign running re donated goods:

Your unwanted items could give someone the support they need to create a future free from poverty.

Downsize those collections! Free up that shelf space! Give Oxfam your unwanted CDs and Books as Gideon and HMG will apparently match the value of your items, until the end of March.

Might be some interesting items to pick up in due course too, for those seeking to add to their domestic clutter... Some specific information about Oxfam's 'Music Departments' here

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

the links are not working Caliban

they are now .... pc ok not getting heiroglyphics from the other thread

thanks
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      They are here! Is your computer malfuntioning...?
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
        Both work OK for me.

Comment

• Anna

It says participating Oxfam shops - I'll check my local one out at the weekend as I need to cull both cds and books (so this is different from Gift Aid that all charity shops do? Why has this particular appeal from Oxfam been selected by HMG above all others I wonder?)

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            It says participating Oxfam shops - I'll check my local one out at the weekend as I need to cull both cds and books (so this is different from Gift Aid that all charity shops do? Why has this particular appeal from Oxfam been selected by HMG above all others I wonder?)
            https://www.gov.uk/uk-aid-match

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Whenever I've given CDs or books away, I invariably find myself trawling through second hand websites in order to obtain similar products in inferior condition and at greater cost.

Don't do it. Just give Oxfam a donation instead.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                • Nov 2010

Oxfam Shops definitely benefit from Gift Aid. They do this by offering you a sheet of tags and a donor number, so that all you have to do is put your donated goods in a bag and add the numbered tag, and they get the Gift Aid. I've been doing some weeding lately, trying to dispose of CDs that I no longer listen to, and just took a bag of them round to my local shop this afternoon. The shelves still look too full !

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  Whenever I've given CDs or books away, I invariably find myself trawling through second hand websites in order to obtain similar products in inferior condition and at greater cost.

Don't do it. Just give Oxfam a donation instead.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    Shall I offer my unwanted to you first then? How about Aldo Finzi Musica da Camera, or, Hawkwind?

Comment

• Historian
                      • Aug 2012

The Oxfam music shop in Henley on Thames has a particularly thriving second-hand classical L.P. department, for anyone who lives near enough. Might be better to wait until the Thames recedes somewhat though.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        I think it is clear that this is a different arrangement from Gift Aid from this site. You may feel that this is a better deal for the participating shops, because of the matching funding. However, there may be slightly different tax arrangements for some, which may be of concern or interest. I don't know about this, but I'm speculating that there would be a different set of tax rules.

The rules for donating goods which are then sold on by the charity shops are very likely to be different from the rules which apply to cash donations by UK taxpayers, where the organisation gets a basic level refund from HMRC, and if the taxpayer pays tax at 40% or more he or she can claim some of that back too - the excess over the basic tax rate which goes to the charitable organisation.

Comment

• amateur51

Could I ask m'learned friend for a working definition of the term 'unwanted' in relation to books and CDs, please

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Could I ask m'learned friend for a working definition of the term 'unwanted' in relation to books and CDs, please
                            Unwanted = cheesed off = heard it loadsa times = fed up with hero/heroine = a man who tires of London = been there, done it = got the T-shirt = boring and predictable

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

= got the T-shirt =
                              ... yes, sadly we know that our Calibman does have a T-shirt :sigh:

Comment

Working...
                              X