X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stan Drews
    • Dec 2010

Much-loved (and missed) Orchestral Musicians

Watching the increasingly bland Wiener offering, it's struck me that we've lost a few orchestral heroes in the past few months, all of whom will have graced our record shelves over the decades, but are seldom credited for their efforts.

I'll offer:

Adolph ("Bud") Herseth - (Trumpet) Chicago SO
    Brian Pollard (Bassoon) Concertgebouw
    Ed Kleinhammer (Bass Trombone), Chicago again

There will, of course, be many others but I'd be interested to read members' opinions.
    Last edited by Stan Drews; 01-01-14, 12:08. Reason: typo
  • amateur51

If Hornspieler were still posting here, I'm certain he'd be volunteering Nick Busch (horn) Philharmonia, and Hugh Maguire (violin) London Symphony Orchestra, BBC Symphony Orhestra, Melos Ensemble and Allegri Quartet.

We miss you Hornspieler - anyone heard from him?

Comment

• Stan Drews
      • Dec 2010

Oh dear - and I posted re Nick Busch a while back. Time flies (unfortunately).

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

I still miss the lovely sound of Edwin Paling's solos when he was that long term leader of the RSNO.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Stan Drews View Post
          Oh dear - and I posted re Nick Busch a while back. Time flies (unfortunately).
          So it does - no reflection on you Stan Drews

Comment

• johnb
            • Mar 2007

Can I add Maurice Murphy?

I vividly remember him from the LSO concerts I went to many years ago.

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
              Can I add Maurice Murphy?

I vividly remember him from the LSO concerts I went to many years ago.
              And the late, great, Mr. John Fletcher. Tuba player extraordinaire. I heard Abbado conduct the LSO many years ago in the Berlioz 'Symphony Fantastique' and the entry of of tubas playing the Dies Irie was something to behold!

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

I had no idea that Brian Pollard late of the Concertgebouw had passed on. It takes something to make an individual sound with the bassoon but BP managed it somehow. There's a passage in Mahler 4 that is instantly recognisable as being Brian's playing. A belated RIP.

And do agree regarding Maurice Murphy and Adolph Herseth. I saw both many a time and oft and they brought that brand of individuality to their playing that marks out the great orchestral musician.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  I had no idea that Brian Pollard late of the Concertgebouw had passed on. It takes something to make an individual sound with the bassoon but BP managed it somehow. There's a passage in Mahler 4 that is instantly recognisable as being Brian's playing. A belated RIP..
                  Brian Pollard died a fortnight ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X