• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

I am a Jonah -- So What !!

1. Nearly drowned attempting to help someone in their attempt to ' sort out ' their beautiful ' Dragon ' class racing yacht
    in the local Gareloch.

2. The Solway Firth as mentioned in a previous item. ( Lucky to have survived ).

3. The Tobermory Boat Race. Always, for most people, a delightful occasion. A truly luxurious yacht with an extremely
    well - experienced crew. Ten minutes after leaving we hit some rocks. The 'Skipper ' is 'doing his nut ,' never ever
    having had this experience before. The keel is checked - all seems well, so off we go again. We are now well under
    way, that is, until we slow down & stop. Ultimately a launch is hailed which in time manages to haul us of a
    mudbank or something. I am now forced to give up filming & help sail the boat. In fact we do quite well &
    overtake many of the other boats. I also manage to get some superb 'shots' from the top of the mast. My recordist
    has become seasick. I get him to lie down at my feet below where I stand to reload film magazines & cover him
    with old bits of sailcloth. Each time I descend to replenish the camera I give him a 'little' kick in the ribs to ensure
    he's alright, if so, he groans, all is well, a very handy situation !

4. Lake of Menteith. We take little rowing boats out to an island in the centre of the lake. My boat runs aground.
    During lunch the hotel owner is told of this event & says " Nonsense , no one is likely to do that "
    Why is everyone looking at me ?

5. Sula sgeir. An island well out into the Atlantic where the Men of Ness collect & kill vast numbers of young Gannets.
    I'll keep it short. A very small fishing boat. Poor condition. With a skipper studying for a Divinity degree & not the
    least concerned when he leaves this world for the next !! Massive swell, late at night, dark sky, making little or no
    progress. Hot smell from engine. Ultimately ceases to function. Now at complete mercy of a wild sea. Inside cabin
    not knowing ceiling from floor. Already badly bruised. Decide we're going to be drowned eventually & would rather
    go on deck. Up stairs from cabin, crawl towards a well in deck, wedging myself in as tightly as possible. Lie down &
    wait to die. Boat is at all angles, at least I'm not being battered to death. A colourless fluid emerges from the corner
    of my mouth, onto the deck & includes three little yellow blobs which I now recognise as my seasickness pills, a
    situation which somehow strikes me as being slightly comical especially as the instructions mention taking more than
    two can be harmful. The noise has become frightening - this is of a boat breaking up. Suddenly, crashing, tearing,
    splintering & then, daring to open my eyes, I find the mast, or most of it, alongside me. What a pity, I had hoped it
    might have landed on my head & provided a more humane form of death than by drowning.

I lay for what seemed hours. A voice called. Our most incredible, marvellous ' handyman ' had got the engine to turn
    over enough to provide a 'sea' snails pace. I found canvas enough to provide a staysail. We turn & make for home.

We once had a bathroom in our house. NO MORE. It has been removed & we now have a shower -

I have decided not to expose myself to further risks
    Last edited by gamba; 28-12-13, 22:57.
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

What a magnificent post Gamba!I have rather limited sailing experience. The biggest one I have had was sailing in The Solent, many years ago, in a friend's yacht. We sailed passed war ships docked in the Naval Dockyard, very good, then we had to be rather careful as soon after, the water became rather shallow and had to monitor how the keel was to the sea bed!! Hmmm!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• gradus
      • Nov 2010

Sorry to hear of your boat troubles gamba, they make mine look petty, but having bought an elderly Invader from a friend, we only managed to row out to it and never to get it off the mooring for the entire season. Unfortunately - such a boating word - we couldn't get the outboard running reliably and managed to drop two key engine nuts and bolts in the river whilst attempting some ludicrous moves from the tender. Best of all we connected the jib wrongly and in trying to hoist it snapped the forestay almost dismasting the boat in the processs. I hate to think what this has cost but the boatyard sent me a Christmas card. I still have a bath in the bathroom but I'm beginning to wonder...

Comment

• gamba
        Late member
        • Dec 2010

Oh. What a tale of woe !

It all sounds so very expensive - at least mine cost me nothing.

Better luck next time, gradus,

gamba

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

I thought he's having a whale of a time...

Comment

• amateur51

I am in genuine awe of the sea, finding it quite terrifying unless it is flat calm, and even then I anticipate imminent treachery. As a child I became sea-sick on the Birkenhead ferry and as an adult on the Isle of Wight ferry

Your tales confirm for me that I am destined to remain on terra firma at all costs.

Great yarns though gamba

Comment

• gamba
              Late member
              • Dec 2010

amateur51,

I too share your feelings about the sea. I am obliged because of my work to accept all it has to throw at me. However I am usually so ' wrapped up ' in what I'd doing I manage to survive. However, that is not always so. I was once aboard a lifeboat in the most apalling weather & sea conditions. My assistant, recordist, director, production assistant were all below deck, totally incapable of raising a finger to help. How long would I last out ? I was on deck, attached to ropes, holding a camera & desperately trying to keep it dry & stay on board & on my feet. Two of the crew approached me. on the Coxwains's orders I had to accompany them below. He had become anxious about my ability to maintain filming ( & so was I ) ! under such conditions. It was extremely important we provided an example of how bad bad can be !

" We have a cure for seasickness " said he. " At least, if it's suffeciently important & under desperate circumstances."
              I was seized by the two members of crew already with me, lashed tightly to a support of some kind behind my back & pushed towards the wheel, which was huge. " You're in charge now " said he. I had a compass reading to follow, which was a terrifying position to be in. The bow of the boat was in the sky, then down with a colossal thump & then nothing but water, as if I was in a submarine, eventually, back up into the sky again, with the compass bearing wandering all over the place until I got the better of it. I improved gradually & realised what a
              fantastically exciting & very effective method this was to ' make you part of the ship ' - the seasickness slowly departed.
              In fact, the coxswain had a little difficulity in getting his boat back. But Oh! what an experience.

I am so sad that this story has such a dreadful ending.

The boat carried the name ' Longhope '

A few years later all were lost
              Last edited by gamba; 31-12-13, 23:29.

Comment

Working...
              X