X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stillhomewardbound
    • Nov 2010

A Christmas Quiz of Sorts

Okay, so here's the makings of a Christmas quiz to sustain us over the festive period. It's what I'm going to call a 'Bookcase Quiz', with an autobiographical bent. Basically, I've picked four volumes at random from my shelves and excised a tease of an excerpt from each. Question is, who are the authors?

I hope, not only, that you'll enjoy participating, but that you will look for some quotations from your own shelves so that we can cook up a chain of a quiz. There are only a couple of ground rules. Firstly, that quotations should be from an autobiography and, secondly, that they should be supported by a clue. That can be as obtuse as is liked.

So, to start the ball rolling, I have four excerpts for everyone. Good luck.

SHB Quote 1:

"We opened one of the bottles of champagne with which the suite was cluttered and talked until it was time for me to get ready for the ceremony. We said goodbye and I retired to shave and bathe. When I came back the lady was lying in my bed smiling - with a glass of champagne in her hand. 'For luck!' she said, and we spent the next twenty minutes, without sentiment or pretence, engaged in the eager, impersonal pleasure of making love."

Clue: A unlikely *70s Oscar winner (* two clues in one)

SHB Quote 2:

"The Second World War came and went. I had managed to leave Paris and return to England before hostilities began and was one of the millions who suffered the minor restrictions and the major terrors of this time. I began to receive invitations to give poetry recitals, sometimes alone, sometimes with my brother ******, sometimes with Dylan Thomas, and can remember at least one occasion, when, reciting to a group of servicemen, I heard the familiar, heart-stoping whine of a doodle-bug. Perhaps everybody in that room wondered whether we should throw ourselves under tables or just run for our lives. I went on reading and the bomb passed overhead."

Clue: This poet had another brother also.

SHB Quote 3:

"My grave will, I imagine, be in the next village, a few miles north of Giggleswick. It's a fairly anonymous spot, as our churchyard is full and burials are in the overflow cemetery on the road to the station. It's where my father is buried, pleasant enough and surrounded by trees and fields but without much character. *******'* grave is in the churchyard itself ... Not a bad place to be, I think. Then it comes to me that what I am doing is envying his grave.'

Clue: Two fish out of water they bonded at Oxford

SHB Quote 4:

"Let me, then, end with a few words about my friends. No man, I think, could sustain a long, active and varied life without the boundless dedication of personal friends. I certainly could not have done so. There are some commentators on public life who claim that I have none. I am glad to say they are wrong. I have, and always have had, many friends in all walks of life, but I have taken infinite care to ensure that I did not embarrass them by getting them involved in politics."

Clue: A childless father
  • Tevot
    • Nov 2010

I can't think of the poet but here's a stab at the other quotes:

1) John Wayne

2) Pass

3) Russell Harty

4) Edward Heath

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
      • Nov 2010

1 out of 4, Tevot. One of your answers is the right ball park, but not on the nose.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
        1 out of 4, Tevot. One of your answers is the right ball park, but not on the nose.
        Is this a game or an exam?

I reckon Tevot's answer Russell Harty is the one you're referring to

Comment

• Tevot
          • Nov 2010

Ams - I'd give the game away if I giggled...

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Arthur Marshall, only giggler I could recall who was also a schoolmaster

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by gradus View Post
              Arthur Marshall, only giggler I could recall who was also a schoolmaster
              Many thanks for the memory, gradus. I'll re-read some of his stories from Myrtlebank over the holiday

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                • Nov 2010

3. It is Russell Harty that is being written ABOUT, but by whom.

4. Edward Heath is currrreecctttttt. Well, answered, as there's not that much information there. It's from the closing pages of his memoir The Course of My Life which I picked up in some remaindered bookshop and which has to be one of the dullest political memoirs I have ever read. It sits on my shelf next to the Tony Benn Diaries! Make of that what you will.

Re, 1. heavy second clue: medical starter

Comment

• amateur51

3. It is Russell Harty that is being written ABOUT, but by whom.
                  Alan Bennett?

Comment

• amateur51

Re, 1. heavy second clue: medical starter
                    But not Richard Chamberlain or Dirk Bogarde then

Leslie Phillips might be a runner?

Or Sexy Rexy?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Alan Bennett?
                      Writing Home, p. 176

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                        • Nov 2010

Blimey, page numbers, line numbers. Ha Ha.

Am51 was there first, I think, RT, but yes, it is Alan Bennett at the funeral of Russell Harty.

No guesses on the poet, so far. In my opinion, a writer of words that always sit well on the page.

Comment

• amateur51

Blimey, page numbers, line numbers. Ha Ha.

Am51 was there first, I think, RT, but yes, it is Alan Bennett at the funeral of Russell Harty.

No guesses on the poet, so far. In my opinion, a writer of words that always sit well on the page.
                          Danny Abse?

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                            • Nov 2010

Read that last sentence again!

Comment

• Tevot
                              • Nov 2010

Sitwell ?

Crikey - it's like we're on Face the Music !!!

Who is the Dummy on the Keyboard

Comment

Working...
                              X