X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

CDs and Domestic Accidents

We all like to think that we are ultra, ultra careful with handling our CDs but the often crazy packaging and flimsy jewel cases are made for domestic incidents of one kind or another.

So let's hear it for the most humorous, silly and downright dangerous accidents we've had with our beloved CDs.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Ah now then,I kid you not.
    I did once get one stuck half way down my middle finger via the hole in the middle,don't ask, I've no idea how.
    Took a layer off skin off and the cd ended up splitting in half.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
      Ah now then,I kid you not.
      I did once get one stuck half way down my middle finger via the hole in the middle,don't ask, I've no idea how.
      Took a layer off skin off and the cd ended up splitting in half.
      And that concludes the case for the Defence, m'Lud...

"...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        And that concludes the case for the Defence, m'Lud...

... the loofah did succumb, but the rubber duck came through quite unscathed ...

[Round the Horne, from memory]

Comment

• johnb
          • Mar 2007

Not a CD but I've just put a small ding in the top of my classical guitar. The top didn't have a mark on it, in spite of the guitar being 45 years old (well it was repolished by Christopher Dean some 15 yrs ago). I'm so annoyed with myself. Grrrr

(Anyway I was planning on asking a luthier to do some renovation work on it - so I will also ask him to touch up the polish where the ding is and it probably wont be that noticeable.)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

I bought the entire Rilling/Hanssler Bach set in two large boxes. Rather that using sensible cardboard sleeves, the company, in their wisdom, used an ultra-thin jewel case of a design I've never seen elsewhere, which allows 4 discs to be stored. I store my CDs alphabetically as far as possible, so the box went on the top shelf. A few weeks after purchase, the second box fell on a laminate floor; the cases all smashed and the CDs were scattered around the room. Although now shabbily stored, they are at least playable. Very disappointing though.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              I bought the entire Rilling/Hanssler Bach set in two large boxes. Rather that using sensible cardboard sleeves, the company, in their wisdom, used an ultra-thin jewel case of a design I've never seen elsewhere, which allows 4 discs to be stored. I store my CDs alphabetically as far as possible, so the box went on the top shelf. A few weeks after purchase, the second box fell on a laminate floor; the cases all smashed and the CDs were scattered around the room. Although now shabbily stored, they are at least playable. Very disappointing though.
              In spite of the obvious limitations of the conventional jewel box system, at least they are easily replaced. These oddball systems are something of a menace. An obvious example is the digipack, where a broken central finger or two makes the whole thing useless and irreplaceable.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                ... the loofah did succumb, but the rubber duck came through quite unscathed ...

[Round the Horne, from memory]
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

I did once send a tottering pile of CDs to the floor from the top of a cabinet. Several smashed cases and CDs scattered all over the place resulted.

I really hate those double pack CDs that have the means of entry on the inside. It's impossible to get either CD out without using the fingers and bending the pack backwards. It's also very easy to cut your finger in trying to extract the CD.

Anyone had any problems with inquisitive little fingers or pets?
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

The standard jewel case is an invention by Philips and is adapted from their cassette case design. Somehow it doesn't work as well for CDs.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

CD may be a good format for music, but CD cases are hopeless.
                      In any case they have never even come close to replicating the Cardboard sleeve LP cover for intensity of physical experience.
                      Flicking through racks of 12" cardboard covers, and the smell of the new sleeve and vinyl with its promise of musical riches ahead. Those journeys home with a bag of hard won treasures......
                      Heaven.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

but CD cases are hopeless
                        They are. In very early CD days they came in slim cardboard packets. In that format you can store far more in a given space. The disadvantage is that you can't identify the CD from writing on the side, and you can't fit in the often vast accompanying booklets.

The plastic ones bust at the drop of a hat, though my life has never been threatened by one

Surplus-to-requirements CDs make very good bird-scarers if strung together and dangled (e.g. pigeons from eating beans, seagulls from pooing on boats). Rumour has it that Donny Osmond CDs work best.
                        Last edited by ardcarp; 16-12-13, 09:33.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          Flicking through racks of 12" cardboard covers, and the smell of the new sleeve and vinyl with its promise of musical riches ahead. Those journeys home with a bag of hard won treasures......
                          Heaven.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

A recent annoyance is the cardboard CD cover which is taller than the rest of them, thus spoiling the otherwise unofirm appearance in height of ones on-shelves collection. I'm left wondering how many people originally built shelves just the right distance apart to house their collection, and now find the odd ones coming that can't be snugly fitted in with the rest.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              A recent annoyance is the cardboard CD cover which is taller than the rest of them, thus spoiling the otherwise unofirm appearance in height of ones on-shelves collection. I'm left wondering how many people originally built shelves just the right distance apart to house their collection, and now find the odd ones coming that can't be snugly fitted in with the rest.
                              Oh yes - that's a major pain in the a**!

Comment

Working...
                              X