Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flay
    • Mar 2007

Very sad news. His posts were sensible and thoughtful.

Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I didn't realise he was Arcades Project. He made some excellent posts on one of the gay marriage threads, especially #222 here.

Last edited by jean; 10-12-13, 10:30.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

I only had the briefest interaction with him, but it was clear that he was an extremely knowledgeable and intelligent man. Those that knew him well, I'm sure will miss him.

Rest In Peace

Comment

• hedgehog

Simon Howard aka here as John Skelton, Julien Sorel, Arcades Project. Impeccable style and content. No words to describe the loss. Keep his own words alive.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
            Simon Howard aka here as John Skelton, Julien Sorel, Arcades Project. Impeccable style and content. No words to describe the loss. Keep his own words alive.

http://www.walkingintheceiling.blogspot.co.uk/
            I didn't realise that he was "John Skelton" here either!

Comment

• Flay
              • Mar 2007

I've just been refreshing my memory by looking through some of his old R3 MB posts.

One of his comments: "Classical music fans ARE an odd lot, aren't they?"

This link will access his JS postings
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Sir Velo
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

He'd been in hospital with a serious kidney infection, his earlier posts explain.

Sounds like a clear case of medical incompetence. It will be little consolation to friends and family but, by the sounds of it, there may be a clear case for the health authorities to answer.

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

What a treasure trove! How am I supposed to get anything done today?

(Is there any way of doing something similar here? )

I especially enjoyed this, for a number of reasons. I don't think I read it at the time.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    I didn't realise either. What a loss ... but then, what a contribution.

Comment

• Richard Barrett

One of Simon's recenter more extended works was a libretto entitled ADDICTION of which I was privileged to be the recipient in early September. I was looking forward to all the consultations, discussions and insights I expected to take place during the working process; now they'll have to be imaginary. Simon was one of the most incisive and eloquent thinkers I've ever known. The only two things I can recall ever disagreeing with him about were football and the music of György Kurtág which were both particular enthusiasms of his; for the rest I have nothing but admiration for his uncompromising vision of the world and the way it was made not only tangible but also beautiful in his poetry.

Comment

• Anna

It’s difficult to know what to say. Like others I had been corresponding with Simon since the old BBC days. He was unique, very learned, a comprehensive knowledge of music, a sense of humour that defied definition, at times extremely grumpy and prickly, but possessing an immense depth of kindness and compassion. I don’t think he ever realised how many people liked and appreciated him.

Comment

• Daniel
                          • Jun 2012

I didn't know him at all but this is a real shock and sad news. He was a very compassionate and distinct presence. His character seemed to have the sharpened sensibilities of an outsider. A great loss.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                            How could I have forgotten to mention John Skelton? I knew there was another name (he was John Skelton, twice: I think he rather liked the association) but all were deleted, as he requested.

I have CDs and books that were his recommendations, too - the books, as one might have guessed, were on Marxism, and Lévi-Strauss; the CDs were HIPP performances of Mozart.

Like others, I also have copies of poems which he subsequently asked me to delete, and then changed his mind - and wanted them copied back to him. I always 'deleted' them by filing them away in his folder. So if anyone ever wants to do anything with them ... though I don't imagine I have anything others won't have. But, just for the record.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

... yes - I remember him in his guise as arcades and arcadesproject - I enjoyed his teasing, and admired and respected his learning - very sad to learn that he is no longer with us.

Comment

• Anna

I too have books that Simon recommended to me, in particular ones of his favourite authors - Robert Walser, Witold Gombrowicz and Georges Bataille, (he did love Gothick!) also some modern novelists and, to me, what seemed liked very difficult texts such as those by Unica Zern. He was generous in wanting to share his enthusiasms.

Like frenchie I also have copies of his - not so much the poems - but short stories and essays. These were written before he radically altered his style, whether he would now wish them to be viewed I don't know, he did say those writings were of the past. However, if ever there was to be a retrospective of his work they would be available. One short phrase, in a rather long story/essay has always stuck in my memory, and I think somehow, to me, encapsulates Simon and his thinking:

Imagine you are made of sand. Glass terrifies you.

Comment

Working...
                                X