X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

No thought given to its effect on Garden Birds, could be disastrous. A very urban fantasy, but then - they're probably just flying a kite.

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

It reminds me of a scene for 'Metropolis'. What I worry about are the less honest shooting them down for what they might carry!

Still, you can't stop progress...

Comment

• gamba
        Late member
        • Dec 2010

I used to fly radio-controlled model gliders & would love to start again. Problem is, equipment is so costly but with a little help from Amazon - who knows, could be a new beginning !

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          No thought given to its effect on Garden Birds, could be disastrous. A very urban fantasy, but then - they're probably just flying a kite.
          Or freaked-out cats & dogs

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

They could deliver bird seed and peanuts direct to garden bird feeders! The feeders could be preloaded - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_7hfsdlqpj6_b

A more dangerous model - just in case anyone ordered squirrel traps - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheese-STV07...squirrel+traps - fly around your garden and zap anything which looks like a squirrel!
            Oh - I suppose there'd have to be an attachment to pick up the squirrel body and dump it somewhere....

Could lead to problems if neighbours objected - squirrel haters vs squirrel lovers! Delivering the "service" to the wrong address could lead to disputes.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

I think Charlie Brooker has enough material here for his next TV opus...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                It reminds me of a scene for 'Metropolis'. What I worry about are the less honest shooting them down for what they might carry!
                That's a good idea - perhaps this particular cloud does have a silver lining.

Still, you can't stop progress...
                Is it progress?

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                  That's a good idea - perhaps this particular cloud does have a silver lining.

Is it progress?
                  Knowing my luck, I'd end up with a box set of 'Last of the summer wine'...

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

This all seems in the realms of fantasy to me. How can there be hundreds of these drones flying around avoiding telegraph wires, pylons, double decker buses, birds and people?

Had to check that the date wasn't April 1.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Why don't they just employ Father Christmas?,he's got this kind of thing sussed.
                      He might be glad of the overtime.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        will they run out of fuel by the time they get to Cornwall?

I know, they could redesign so that the cardboard wrapper gets used as fuel for the return journey !!
                        Wasted I am.
                        No, not in that way !!
                        Surely drones run on BP!

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                          Why don't they just employ Father Christmas?,he's got this kind of thing sussed.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                            He'd be sleighed!
                            Merry Christmas Everybody!

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              This all seems in the realms of fantasy to me. How can there be hundreds of these drones flying around avoiding telegraph wires, pylons, double decker buses, birds and people?

Had to check that the date wasn't April 1.
                              Good point. I'd ignored the telephone wire issue, but had mental images of a drone somehow navigating under our car porch to the front door and hovering, and then pressing the door bell! Maybe instead of hovering, it could transform itself into a miniature robot (or a bigger inflatable one ... to give some a thrill on their birthdays ...), then press the door bell, deliver the goods, then reverse the process.

Maybe they could avoid all the pylons etc. by flying higher, then dropping the goods - maybe by parachute and hoping that they'd end up in the right location. Or not in the road, where they might get flattened by the next passing vehicle.

I liked the comment on one of the sites I looked at, something to the effect that "drones are not legal for civilian use yet ..." with some suggestion that they might become legal in a year or two in some jurisdictions. Wow!

Also, what happens if several companies start to do this? Could we get "drone wars" where, say Amazon drones shoot down drones from other companies for commercial reasons? Would keep lawyers busy for another few years trying to sort out what could/could not be done. Would we end up with "drone traffic control" - and would that have to be unbiased and neutral? Could there be a new sport of "drone spotting" which would replace train and aircraft spotting?

I suppose larger drones could be used for B2B use, for deliveries between companies and other organisations, which might be better equipped for landing, refuelling, and take-off facilities. Maybe for delivering blood or (dare one say) body parts between hospitals etc. Nah - better forget that idea ...!!!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

I hear that the powers that be are planning to have loads of horseless carriages running around the towns and cities!

I'd like to know how that's going to work!

What will they think of next?

Why don't people spend their time productively, like thinking of ways to improve the ballpoint pen?

Stop the modern world, I want to get off

Comment

Working...
                                X