• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

The Reluctant Jonah

Having survived an encounter with vicious squalls in the Gareloch aboard a Dragon class racing yacht, I now find myself, with about 6 or 7 0thers on a very small motor launch returning from filming on an island in the Solway Firth. It is mid-winter, late afternoon,bitterly cold & very dark. A line which had been trailing behind us towing a small boat has gone. This was preceded by the engine coughing for a short period before dying - as may well happen to us all very shortly.
    Water is coming aboard from all directions. Duckboards have been screwed down with the water building up beneath them. No chance of effectively bailing out & to my utter amazement no life-saving equipment available.
    There is a slim possibility of surviving. This would require someone, stripped to the waist, fit ,strong & prepared to be lowered over the stern in these most appalling conditions, attempting to release whatever is wrapped around the prop shaft, which by rights should be sticking out from the stern, but is not doing so.

Someone has discovered an old pearl - handled fruit knife in his sandwich box. It is snatched from his hand, this could be our only hope of surviving. Hurried attempts are now made to sharpen the tiny silver blade by rubbing it against an old rusty metal bracket attached to the boat's hull.

My assistant, the youngest & fittest agrees to undertake the task of searching beneath the boat. He knows that not to do so will result in the deaths of all aboard, there is no alternative.
    We manage a laugh of sorts when he remembers to remove spare cash from his trouser pockets.

I take one leg, someone else the other. " Kick your feet violently & we'll pull you up, after all you may need to take a breath from time to time "

A final reminder, " Drop the knife & we're all dead "

After three attempts with considerable shivering & shaking & his skin becoming more purple in colour each time, he ultimately emerges holding what was left of the line. Everyone piles in offering their own clothes in order to dry him.

The engine, with some coaxing re - starts. We make towards the mainland ( very gently ). Danger not over yet as boat remains full of water & we shall be encountering two lots of water travelling from different directions towards each other as we round a certain rocky section of the coast. This with a rising wind would swamp us. However, all goes well & we make it safely back to our hotel.

" What an interesting job you must have " ( unidentified voice heard in hotel foyer within minutes of our return ).
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Heavens.

What is your job?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

blimey gamba and i thought your post was about Jonah Jones .....

and why was no life saving equipment available and the vessel so unreliable and you lot out in such bad weather??? ... you don't sound as if you were at all ship shape ....
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• gamba
        Late member
        • Dec 2010

aka Calum,

If I was to cast my memory back to the 1960's an awful lot of things were happening that would horrify a present-day population. However, if I remember rightly, the journey out to the island was accomplished under excellent weather conditions with a reasonable forecast & possibly with another & larger boat. The return journey was carried out in semi- darkness & pouring rain with all arrangements rightly left to the appropriate authorities, the production staff.
        Also, how can one forecast the reliability of a hired boat ? or notice the lack of life - saving equipment until it is too late & is someone elses
        responsibility. Finally, for some of us, working in bad weather was not so unusual.

Comment

• amateur51

You tell a fine yarn with economical means, gamba - all the hallmarks of a natural - bravo!

Many thanks

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

too true Gamba! apologies i thought you were writing about last week .... still hiring crappy and unsafe vessels has a long and ignoble history .... and the sea is remorseless ....
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

i thought you were writing about last week
              ...even worse gamba, your use of the historic present led me to believe you were talking about NOW. I was musing on your devotion to The Forum, i.e. sending your SOS to us rather than using the usual channels (i.e. the coastguard on 16))

Comment

• Padraig
                • Feb 2013

I'm now wise to your conceits, gamba! It's another of your adventures, demonstrating that the art of storytelling is still very much alive.
                I think we should all now repair to a comfortable snug in that hotel and warm ourselves up with a Dickension hot spirits and water, and a Merry Christmas to all there!

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                  • Nov 2010

Marvellous stuff with quite an MR James flavour about it!

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                    • Dec 2010

I have only just discovered this. Congatulations, gamba. As atmospheric writing, worthy of Simenon (the opening of Le Chien Jaune comes to mind). It's a long time since I felt so cold, wet or anxious while reading.

Comment

• gamba
                      Late member
                      • Dec 2010

Thank you , Alain,

Am about to finish watery subjects & with genuine reasons why - ultimately no one would share a boat with me.

Comment

Working...
                      X