X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Should this forum be rebranded?

I notice that not all of the posts on this forum are about R3 (I'm as guilty as anyone), and some (e.g HS) have noted that some of us perhaps don't listen to R3 all the time - certainly not "live" to the live concerts.

Much listening appears to be from CDs, and then not necessarily ones which have been broadcast or discussed recently.

Political posts have been hidden away.

There is a section for technical matters, which may, or may not, be relevant to broadcasting.

I'm just wondering if what we have now is a somewhat more general forum, with some relevance to broadcasting - including some TV, and R4 as well as R3. However, as suppose we can't really call the forum - "Forum for serious critical and cultural broadcasts by the BBC" in order to rule out R1, R2, R5, R6 so maybe the Radio 3 Forum (with occasional lapses to allow discussion on other broadcast and technical matters) is as good as anything.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Well, the whole point of it being run by Friends of Radio 3 is that it should relate to R3. If it doesn't, someone else can take it over. I wouldn't be interested any longer.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

No problem as it is, surely. We all go off the point a bit sometimes, if that's the point that Dave2002 was hinting at.

Comment

• John Wright
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        I notice that not all of the posts on this forum are about R3 .......
        Have you looked at R3ok forum recently?

Mostly NOT Radio 3. In fact postings today are only on a quiz (!), wishing member's happy birthday, and a pianized Planets. Bit like R3 breakfast!
        - - -

John W

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Well, the whole point of it being run by Friends of Radio 3 is that it should relate to R3. If it doesn't, someone else can take it over. I wouldn't be interested any longer.
          Heaven forbid!

I see Dave2002'a point, though. I wonder how many prospective forumites would look at What's New? and think, what's this got to do with R3? I'm thinking of areas such as the Photo Booth and The Refreshment Room. The Forum has expanded to become more of a social forum. A natural enough evolution, for sure, but far from the original remit, I imagine.

Of course, the lack of R3 badinage could simply be a rather damning indictment on the quality of R3's output.

However, the broader scope might also draw people in. Perhaps a survey would be worthwhile on this?

--

I should add: I rather like those music-based threads, oft sparked off by an event on R3, which everyone sinks their teeth into, such as some of the Mahler and Bruckner threads. They do seem rarer these days. Usually in the BaL section of the forum.
          Last edited by Thropplenoggin; 02-12-13, 17:29.
          It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by John Wright View Post
            Have you looked at R3ok forum recently?

Mostly NOT Radio 3. In fact postings today are only on a quiz (!), wishing member's happy birthday, and a pianized Planets. Bit like R3 breakfast!
            Furthermore, Bryn isn't even Bryn there.
            It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Indeed, the way R3 has been going recently, one might be excused for thinking that it was pursuing a brand which some here no longer identify with.

One can wonder whether it's the radio channel or the forum which has drifted off.

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

Most of my listening to serious music is via Radio 3, although I am now making an effort more to get to hear more live music.

But I don't usually comment on programmes I hear, because there does not appear much to say to persons that are probably more knowledgeable than myself. I do however enjoy reading comments about programmes I have heard.

As for CD's, I'm trying to give them up!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

My answer is a firm No to dave's suggestion. This forum is surely based on the foundations of trying to battle for R3 to remain true to its original purpose. Much of the excellent debate on here about musical subjects is very much in the tradition of those principles .

If it stops being about R3 at heart what is it about? It is the Friends of R3 forum - critical friends indeed but very much friends.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    One can wonder whether it's the radio channel or the forum which has drifted off.
                    Chicken and egg?

I'd say it's Radio 3 that has left its audience to pursue pastures new...
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aeolium
                      • Nov 2010

Personally I would find the forum very unsatisfying if discussion were held to the strict and narrow path of R3 programmes (as some hardline moderators on the old BBC boards attempted futilely to enforce some years back).

Fortunately there are other R3s apart from the shabby and rather degraded reality we currently live with. There are the R3s of people's memories (going back to the Third Programme) with the many great musicians, thinkers, poets, playwrights from earlier periods. And there are the R3s of people's imaginations - what a radio station devoted to music and the arts might be like. Both these worlds, of memory and imagination, are more interesting to me than what R3 now provides, and perhaps that is why we see those who post on these boards seeking out other sources of stimulation whether from other internet radio stations, live concerts and operas, their own music collections, exhibitions etc.

And although people grumble about the intrusion of discussions about politics and how we live (and ought to live) onto what they claim is a music forum I think those discussions are - or at least could be - absolutely in the spirit of the original Third Programme, and even its successor R3, that music ought not to be separated from the rest of life and the questions that surround it.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                        • Nov 2010

I've always thought of the people on these boards as virtual friends. Real friends, even if they start being friends because of a mutual interest (as is presumably the case here) don't normally confine their conversation to that interest alone. I'd assumed it was the same here.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                          I've always thought of the people on these boards as virtual friends. Real friends, even if they start being friends because of a mutual interest (as is presumably the case here) don't normally confine their conversation to that interest alone. I'd assumed it was the same here.
                          Very well put Mary - I don't think R3 alone would have led to so many postings, banter and general discussion.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                            Personally I would find the forum very unsatisfying if discussion were held to the strict and narrow path of R3 programmes (as some hardline moderators on the old BBC boards attempted futilely to enforce some years back).

Fortunately there are other R3s apart from the shabby and rather degraded reality we currently live with. There are the R3s of people's memories (going back to the Third Programme) with the many great musicians, thinkers, poets, playwrights from earlier periods. And there are the R3s of people's imaginations - what a radio station devoted to music and the arts might be like. Both these worlds, of memory and imagination, are more interesting to me than what R3 now provides, and perhaps that is why we see those who post on these boards seeking out other sources of stimulation whether from other internet radio stations, live concerts and operas, their own music collections, exhibitions etc.

And although people grumble about the intrusion of discussions about politics and how we live (and ought to live) onto what they claim is a music forum I think those discussions are - or at least could be - absolutely in the spirit of the original Third Programme, and even its successor R3, that music ought not to be separated from the rest of life and the questions that surround it.

When it is, it's finished. (That is the way THEY want it....its all a bit scary for them otherwise.)
                            well that is the way i see it, anyway.
                            As ever, great post aeo.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• amateur51

Top posting from aeolium & Mary Chambers -- thanks both

Comment

Working...
                              X