Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Can people point to some really successful and popular rebranding?

Usually costs about £1bn also.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Er, Snickers?

What was wrong with Marathon, anyway?

And don't get me going on Opal Fruits!

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Usually costs about £1bn also.
        ts I often look at what comes up with rebranding and it would be better to offer a £50 prize to a local primary school to come up with a good idea. Charities seem to pay fortunes for lousy logos!

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
          I've always thought of the people on these boards as virtual friends. Real friends, even if they start being friends because of a mutual interest (as is presumably the case here) don't normally confine their conversation to that interest alone. I'd assumed it was the same here.

Even though we don't always agree with each other
          the basic interest in music is what is worth keeping

The whole branding thing is cr*p anyway

When I work at the RFH the technicians STILL call it the Chelsfield room NOT the "Level 5 function room sponsored by....."
          and the Floral Hall at the ROH is still that in spite of the sponsorship deal

or maybe EVERYTHING in the arts is going to be the Claw.... (insert name as needed) ?

Comment

• Tony Halstead
            • Nov 2010

Thanks VERY much, aeolium, for this wonderful posting.

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
            Personally I would find the forum very unsatisfying if discussion were held to the strict and narrow path of R3 programmes (as some hardline moderators on the old BBC boards attempted futilely to enforce some years back).

Fortunately there are other R3s apart from the shabby and rather degraded reality we currently live with. There are the R3s of people's memories (going back to the Third Programme) with the many great musicians, thinkers, poets, playwrights from earlier periods. And there are the R3s of people's imaginations - what a radio station devoted to music and the arts might be like. Both these worlds, of memory and imagination, are more interesting to me than what R3 now provides, and perhaps that is why we see those who post on these boards seeking out other sources of stimulation whether from other internet radio stations, live concerts and operas, their own music collections, exhibitions etc.

And although people grumble about the intrusion of discussions about politics and how we live (and ought to live) onto what they claim is a music forum I think those discussions are - or at least could be - absolutely in the spirit of the original Third Programme, and even its successor R3, that music ought not to be separated from the rest of life and the questions that surround it.

Comment

• Karafan
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Chicken and egg?

I'd say it's Radio 3 that has left its audience to pursue pastures new...
              Nail struck firmly upon its head, there FF.....
              "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                Personally I would find the forum very unsatisfying if discussion were held to the strict and narrow path of R3 programmes (as some hardline moderators on the old BBC boards attempted futilely to enforce some years back).

Fortunately there are other R3s apart from the shabby and rather degraded reality we currently live with. There are the R3s of people's memories (going back to the Third Programme) with the many great musicians, thinkers, poets, playwrights from earlier periods. And there are the R3s of people's imaginations - what a radio station devoted to music and the arts might be like. Both these worlds, of memory and imagination, are more interesting to me than what R3 now provides, and perhaps that is why we see those who post on these boards seeking out other sources of stimulation whether from other internet radio stations, live concerts and operas, their own music collections, exhibitions etc.

And although people grumble about the intrusion of discussions about politics and how we live (and ought to live) onto what they claim is a music forum I think those discussions are - or at least could be - absolutely in the spirit of the original Third Programme, and even its successor R3, that music ought not to be separated from the rest of life and the questions that surround it.
                I couldn't have put this better, let alone more eloquently

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

Even though we don't always agree with each other
                  the basic interest in music is what is worth keeping

The whole branding thing is cr*p anyway

When I work at the RFH the technicians STILL call it the Chelsfield room NOT the "Level 5 function room sponsored by....."
                  and the Floral Hall at the ROH is still that in spite of the sponsorship deal

or maybe EVERYTHING in the arts is going to be the Claw.... (insert name as needed) ?
                  Ah - The Bore Claw Room...

Fantastic posts - no need for re-branding. In life, nothing can be isolated from anything else, everything is interconnected, said the Buddha. or someone.
                  Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 03-12-13, 00:08.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

Great posts 11 & 12.
                    Thanks Mary and Aeolium.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                      Great posts 11 & 12.
                      Thanks Mary and Aeolium.
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Gordon
                        • Nov 2010

I'm with Mary and Aeolium too!! Well said. If R3 is about music and the arts it should be stimulating discussion of all sorts. If the Arts are not about contemporary life then what are they?

If R3 itself can go all over the place inanely asking for Tweets and the like then we can match that!! We're only following their lead after all .

Anyone showing up here can see that we're not all loonies with hair shirts [well I haven't got one!] and can have some fun as well as being serious about our main cause.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

I thought the old complaint of "It's too red" was going to surface again - I've forgotten how to change that anyway
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

it is too red
                            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                              it is too red
                              It isn't. This is too red:

Courtesy Alphonse Allais
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

That looks orange to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X