When (if ever) should one start to decorate one's house for Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    I always say and my wife, Frst Sunday in Advent! I do rather like having flashing lights around the celling! Looks quite effective!
    I trust you've connected them to the hi-fi via one of those DJ-style boxes so they flash in time with the music? Then putting on the Ring cycle REALLY LOUD on continuous loop should really thrill the neighbours all through the Festive Season....

....while you're in a nice quiet little chalet abroad for a few weeks
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

The very nice new tenants in the maisonette below us have invited us to a party on the 21st, with the ominous invitation to "bring an instrument if you have one "
      I assume that this means something musical rather than surgical.

Naturally, we do think that it will be better to be there rather than stay away while the noise level climbs, and as I say, they are a nice couple, what should we take?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        Naturally, we do think that it will be better to be there rather than stay away while the noise level climbs, and as I say, they are a nice couple, what should we take?
        A comb and (if you can source it) a piece of Izal? I don't know about this but I read it somewhere that toilet paper used to be shiny and cold and made noises when you blew it between something hard
        A triangle made out of a bent coat hangar
        A kazoo (that, if I may say so, is a brilliant suggestion!)
        A penny whistle
        One of those metal frogs that you click
        Sleigh bells

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

or a Pyrophone ?

or even

But seriously it's obvious that you need one of these ...............

(ok ok it's only a JOKE i'm not really going to kill cats to make music and I DO know that 'catgut' isn't made from cats )
          Last edited by MrGongGong; 07-12-13, 17:33.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Bagpipes?
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              Does this Sainsbury's store normally have muzak, or is it for Christmas only? I ask because the Stoke-on-Trent Sainsbury's is the only one I know that has piped music punishment throughout the year. Our local Tesco has it leading up to Christmas, but then, happily, it's gone for another year. When I complained, all I got from Customer Services was "Aw coom on. Gerrintoo the Christmas Spirit." Now I inform them that I am a regular user of their store but shall go elsewhere until they switch it off.
              Replying to my own earlier post, it has started at my local Tesco. I complained, and got a more sympathetic response from the staff this year. they didn't like the noise pollution either. I rold them how amgry it made me, but assured them I didn't blame them - just the morinic members of their management who had made the decision. I then wished them a happy Christmas and said I'd be back in January.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

In our house we have one of these

Its very small and is known as

"The tiny handbag of outrage" , it sits on a door handle to be grabbed and waved when necessary.

Comment

• hedgehog

The very nice new tenants in the maisonette below us have invited us to a party on the 21st, with the ominous invitation to "bring an instrument if you have one "

A wineglass.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

Stylophone.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Noise cancelling headphones.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        In our house we have one of these
                        "The tiny handbag of outrage" , it sits on a door handle to be grabbed and waved when necessary

"...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Tevot
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Crikey Caliban. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the fireplace when Santa paid a call

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            Replying to my own earlier post, it has started at my local Tesco. I complained, and got a more sympathetic response from the staff this year. they didn't like the noise pollution either. I rold them how amgry it made me, but assured them I didn't blame them - just the morinic members of their management who had made the decision. I then wished them a happy Christmas and said I'd be back in January.
                            Hmm. I wonder if it's more profitable for supermarkets to do direct deliveries from internet orders: they certainly seem to do their best to deter customers from setting foot in the stores themselves (shelves empty; cashier lanes unstaffed; "unexpected item in the bagging area" - IT'S A BAG, YOU STUPID ROBOT: WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU EXPECT??!! THE DALAI RUDDY LAMA?????!!!!! )

Well, that's me put in the Festive spirit by yesterday's shopping experience!
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              Well! I've received some crap Christmas presents in my time ...
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

so that is how he gets his sack down the chimney.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X